Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Nick, September 16, 2021, 01:56:27 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 19, 2021, 09:00:24 PM
Ok

I'm going to take the radical step of going back to discussing this submarine and technology contract.

I've been reading up chunks of Le Monde in French and it has far more detail.

Back in 2016 the Australians went looking for someone to replace their existing diesel boats.

The armaments were to be supplied by American suppliers, the Australians were looking to pay low to mid tens of billions over a lifespan of many decades for building and ongoing maintenance ...

The Australians rejected a tender from the German consortium who finished the boat whose autopilot I had a hand in. They also rejected a deal from the Japanese. They settled on a deal with the French which they signed in 2019 but raised issued with over technology transfer in 2020. The French resistance to the Australian contractual details caused the Australian Government to raise concerns that these boats would not be ready in time to replace their existing fleet.

Step forward the Americans who as I find from Le Monde were providing the weapons for the boats anyway... And said hey, would you like to be the seventh country in the world to have nuclear powered boats .....
You seen to know a lot about this industry. I don't in fairness, so do you know what french design these subs were based on, could France have offered a Nuclear sub option. Is it normal in this industry that after several years into a contract that the customer would change to a second supplier. In your reading was France behind schedule and was it a term of the contract that such an occurance could lead to contract cancellation. If you know that would be great. If you don't your talking nonsense above.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 07:23:06 PM
Just stop digging Gerry, it's futile.

Mussels and Oysters are both in the highlighted category, the former having average sales of £24 million per annum in the U.K. That is not a dead industry by any stretch of the imagination. I did point out that I bought them on a couple of occasions whilst in Cornwall, they were quaffed with a couple of bottles of Moet, everyone will remember Pappy pointing out that I ate nothing but crap so he is obviously part of the problem.

You need to consider a couple of things Gerry, the U.K. is taking away a huge portion of the French and Dutch fishing grounds, and the EU is trying to strangle the U.K. export market. You better hope the UK doesn't find a new market for our seafood or the member states are going to be mightily short of fish: something they eat bucket loads of.

But yes, the U.K. should be going more to promote seafood
Thats a lie. The rules the UK are now facing were there for 3rd countries before Brexit and the UK knew full well that was what was coming. But the lalala, fingers in the ears politicians with their exceptionalism thinking just thought the UK was so special and important that the EU wouldn't possibly treat the UK like every other 3rd country, guess what...

And you will find another market, some Iceland shop in Australia that will pay one tenth what you would get for fresh fish.

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 07:18:20 PM
That is not the company that went bust, which produced bivalve molluscs , the company in your link sells them it does produce them.
You may as well be talking to the wall. They cromwell jumps on the band wagon with game set and match, painful to watch

johnofgwent

Ok

I'm going to take the radical step of going back to discussing this submarine and technology contract.

I've been reading up chunks of Le Monde in French and it has far more detail.

Back in 2016 the Australians went looking for someone to replace their existing diesel boats.

The armaments were to be supplied by American suppliers, the Australians were looking to pay low to mid tens of billions over a lifespan of many decades for building and ongoing maintenance ...

The Australians rejected a tender from the German consortium who finished the boat whose autopilot I had a hand in. They also rejected a deal from the Japanese. They settled on a deal with the French which they signed in 2019 but raised issued with over technology transfer in 2020. The French resistance to the Australian contractual details caused the Australian Government to raise concerns that these boats would not be ready in time to replace their existing fleet.

Step forward the Americans who as I find from Le Monde were providing the weapons for the boats anyway... And said hey, would you like to be the seventh country in the world to have nuclear powered boats .....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 07:43:48 PM

:D
I guess it still hasn't crossed anyone's mind, that Macron has just admitted it was all about the money and nothing to do with the Aussies having a force to be reckoned with. Rank fecking amateur.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 07:53:32 PM
:) :)

The funny thing in all this is Smurfy definitely has form on this type of thing,years back on PPF he was arguing with Uganda about truffles and when you could take them,he gave Uganda the old "You're perverse ,stupid thick don't know what you're on about I go to France every year.
I did a bit of research,wrote to the French tourist board and a lovely young lady replied basically saying Smurf was talking bollocks.
I put the email on the forum ;)

Cromwell i suspect he hasnt been further inland than some breton coastal holiday resort and static caravan. The guy talks utter cac and i admire nick  taking the time to argue with him , but you cant debate stupid.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 07:43:48 PM

:D

:) :)

The funny thing in all this is Smurfy definitely has form on this type of thing,years back on PPF he was arguing with Uganda about truffles and when you could take them,he gave Uganda the old "You're perverse ,stupid thick don't know what you're on about I go to France every year.
I did a bit of research,wrote to the French tourist board and a lovely young lady replied basically saying Smurf was talking bollocks.
I put the email on the forum ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 07:18:20 PM
That is not the company that went bust, which produced bivalve molluscs , the company in your link sells them it [HIGHLIGHT]does[/HIGHLIGHT] produce them.

You said the industry was dead, that means dead, no survivors. Or would you like to change your mind?

I assume you mean doesn't

Paps, no one produces them, they grow.

https://cornishshellfish.com/
Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 07:32:49 PM
No industry can survive a 95% cut in sales in days without closures and loss of jobs.
(Which is exactly what has happened to the local bivalve mollusc producers.)

Oh, so it's 95% not dead? Based on your miserable outlook I'll take it that it isn't actually 95%. I'll check.

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 07:13:57 PM

I also cannot buy mussels where I live, what bit of that don't you understand?

I don't understand the but where you can't buy mussels, cause it bollox.

You've just said that the company I linked sells them!!
They're in your village.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Thomas

cromwell

Well
Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 07:24:28 PM
#awaitsbackpeddlingbysmurf

Never mind Nick Smurfy and Gerry can console themselves that next up will be adverts

"Did you have a submarine deal that suddenly disappeared,you could be entitled to compensation..... Smurf Gerry & eu co ltd for a small fee can prove you were cheated "

But in the real world yes Macron is demanding compo  :) :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 07:24:28 PM
#awaitsbackpeddlingbysmurf

Frankly Nick if you are not being deliberately perverse I can only assume you  are thick.
No industry can survive a 95% cut in sales in days without closures and loss of jobs.
(Which is exactly what has happened to the local bivalve mollusc producers.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 07:23:06 PM

Mussels and Oysters are both in the highlighted category, the former having average sales of £24 million per annum in the U.K.

Nick £24 million in the UK is peanuts. The exports to the EU have which was 95% of production.
That whether you like it or not has caused the demise of many of the producers involved in it. The boats sold off and that staff jobless.
Why that is so difficult for you to understand, no company can survive the loss of 95% of it sales.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 19, 2021, 02:33:32 PM
He said a very specific segment of that market, [HIGHLIGHT]bivalve mollusc[/HIGHLIGHT] was dead. This site is full of characters with colourful language, where that industry rlied on the EU markets as UK people in general don't purchase that product. When the UK aren't shipping to the EU anymore then that industry could be described as dead, unless a new market is found. Freeze the product and sell it much cheaper elsewhere  ?

Mussels and Oysters are both in the highlighted category, the former having average sales of £24 million per annum in the U.K. That is not a dead industry by any stretch of the imagination. I did point out that I bought them on a couple of occasions whilst in Cornwall, they were quaffed with a couple of bottles of Moet, everyone will remember Pappy pointing out that I ate nothing but crap so he is obviously part of the problem.

You need to consider a couple of things Gerry, the U.K. is taking away a huge portion of the French and Dutch fishing grounds, and the EU is trying to strangle the U.K. export market. You better hope the UK doesn't find a new market for our seafood or the member states are going to be mightily short of fish: something they eat bucket loads of.

But yes, the U.K. should be going more to promote seafood