Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Nick, September 16, 2021, 01:56:27 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 21, 2021, 07:57:06 AM
Did you actually read the article gerry?

This is a german new site  , not a nasty anti eu "uk" site , reporting on the concerns of Bulgaria joining  , how many think it a bad idea due to corruption mismanagement indirect or direct state control and instability , and that the EU and i quote may be "in danger of creating another problem for itself".

Dont shoot the messenger because you dont like the message.
For the Euro the risk is Bulgaria having a weak currency, by which this would mean one that just keeps jumping up and down. A strong currency is one that is stable and not what people might think, which is one that increases in value.
Bulgaria's currency is pegged to the EURO, for all intensive purposes they are in the EURO, they have lost the ability to manipulate the currency to offset economic problems. They will be in this "limbo" state for 5yrs before the EU will allow them join the EURO. If Bulgaria can manage their finances then why shouldn't they be allowed to join.
Bulgaria is a member so the other issues you list, corruption mismanagement indirect or direct state control and instability, will be stress tested over the 5 yrs of their currency being pegged.

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 12:56:07 AM

Have you read ANY of the news media originating from Australia on the contract.

The various search engine results I have found all go back to Australian news sites and articles from 2016 to 2019 and then in 2020 cite the Australian defence minister and other government officials stating that delays caused by the French are endangering the timely completion of the job.

Now, I suppose you could view this as a dastardly plot by the thieving sons of convicts to screw the poor French over, but I choose to believe them.
No I haven't, that's what I said, there's little factual information out there. The French could be totally at fault and if so then the deserve to loose the contract.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 09:33:37 AMAnyone get the feeling the EU are starting to believe their own press?
I reckon it is catching our press the last few days have been pretending some kind of Westminster revolt, pure fantasy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 09:33:37 AM

The U.K. can do 60 deals in the time Macron has been to the bathroom and washed his hands.

Why hasn't Britain done so then? The "Oven Ready Deals," turned out to be a lie.
The few deals that have been done don't inspire me with any confidence at all.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on September 21, 2021, 08:19:29 AM
EU now sticking their beaks in john.....

Australia-EU trade deal to be delayed due to submarines row

Australia's cancellation of a French submarine contract will complicate and delay negotiations on an Australian-European Union free trade deal, a European trade official said.

Australia's decision to end the £48 billion deal was "kind of an attack against European interests", said Bernd Lange, a German lawmaker and the chairman of the European Parliament's Committee on International Trade.

"It is more complicated," Mr Lange told Australian Broadcasting Corporation of the negotiations following the French snub.

"The question of trust is now occurring and some members could ask for more safety nets and more safeguards in such an agreement, so I guess the dialogue and the negotiation will take more time," he added.

Mr Lange said the deal would not be signed before French elections are held in May next year.

"It is a question of how serious and how reliable Australia is,"he said.

"Therefore there's a discussion how to deal now with the trade agreement, but I guess there is no clear commitment to stop the negotiation.

"Now the trust is missing."

Last week, US President Joe Biden announced a new alliance involving Britain that would deliver Australia at least eight nuclear-powered submarines to replace the 12 conventional diesel-electric models the French were to build.

France responded by recalling its ambassadors from the United States and Australia.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/australia-eu-trade-deal-to-be-delayed-due-to-submarines-row/130181

Anyone get the feeling the EU are starting to believe their own press?
Strikes me they are turning inwards and becoming insular rather than forward facing.

The U.K. can do 60 deals in the time Macron has been to the bathroom and washed his hands.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on September 21, 2021, 08:19:29 AM

Australia's cancellation of a French submarine contract will complicate and delay negotiations on an Australian-European Union free trade deal, a European trade official said.

Australia's decision to end the £48 billion deal was "kind of an attack against European interests", said Bernd Lange, a German lawmaker and the chairman of the European Parliament's Committee on International Trade.

"It is more complicated," Mr Lange told Australian Broadcasting Corporation of the negotiations following the French snub.

"The question of trust is now occurring and some members could ask for more safety nets and more safeguards in such an agreement, so I guess the dialogue and the negotiation will take more time," he added.

Mr Lange said the deal would not be signed before French elections are held in May next year.

"Therefore there's a discussion how to deal now with the trade agreement, but I guess there is no clear commitment to stop the negotiation.

Last week, US President Joe Biden announced a new alliance involving Britain that would deliver Australia at least eight nuclear-powered submarines to replace the 12 conventional diesel-electric models the French were to build.

France responded by recalling its ambassadors from the United States and Australia.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/australia-eu-trade-deal-to-be-delayed-due-to-submarines-row/130181

Fine by me. My submarine autopilot still works and all the torpedoes I tested work too. If the French want to kick off a desire to inspect the last Spanish attempt to piss with us up close and personal in twenty fathoms I'm all for helping them get there....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2021, 08:04:55 AM
More potentially bad news for the EU....

Concerns Rise as Bulgaria Prepares to Join the Euro
Bulgaria has significant problems with corruption and money laundering. Nevertheless, the European Union is prepared to accept the country as the next member of the eurozone. Many fear that might be a bad idea.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/controversial-eurozone-accession-concerns-rise-as-bulgaria-prepares-to-join-the-euro-a-034fbab7-e91a-4e0f-92d4-a8d44640dc37

Hmmmmm....

Not sure the article is entirely honest. It's a bit rich to compare them to Cyprus and call that country a hotbed of money laundering when the reality is Cyprus is a country split by conflicts and it is the (Turkish ? Islamic ?) Republic of Northern Cyprus that is justly famed for its money laundering and harbouring of wanted financial criminals ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 07:50:59 AM

And for the avoidance of doubt, when I said "them" I meant the Australians.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 20, 2021, 12:04:47 PM
How is that bad news ?
Bulgaria is a member of the EU, no change their.
Their currency is pegged to the EURO, with a fixed exchange rate since last yr.
If they join the EURO it will be 2024, which will be four yrs of having their currency locked in against the EURO, if they managed to get through Covid with a pegged currency they have stress tested the proposition and should be fine, but there's another 2.5 yrs to see.

What's your issue with Bulgaria, do you think you are better or superior to them, it's coming across that way.

Did you actually read the article gerry?

This is a german new site  , not a nasty anti eu "uk" site , reporting on the concerns of Bulgaria joining  , how many think it a bad idea due to corruption mismanagement indirect or direct state control and instability , and that the EU and i quote may be "in danger of creating another problem for itself".

Dont shoot the messenger because you dont like the message.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2021, 07:20:16 AM
I believe the Australians. Some French projects are suffering very long delays.

And for the avoidance of doubt, when I said "them" I meant the Australians.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 12:56:07 AM

Now, I suppose you could view this as a dastardly plot by the thieving sons of convicts to screw the poor French over, but I choose to believe them.

I believe the Australians. Some French projects are suffering very long delays.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on September 20, 2021, 03:04:17 PM
How do you know the French imposed contract adjustments, can you share that info, which led to delays ?
How do you know the UK stepped up to the plate, Have you details of the proposed contract between AUS and USA
I'm not surprise the UK rigged what it sold, prob wasn't in the contract, but a very UK thing to do.
Well considering the first commissioned working Submarine was by an Irish inventor, something we prob gave you.

Have you read ANY of the news media originating from Australia on the contract.

The various search engine results I have found all go back to Australian news sites and articles from 2016 to 2019 and then in 2020 cite the Australian defence minister and other government officials stating that delays caused by the French are endangering the timely completion of the job.

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 20, 2021, 12:29:05 PM
I don't see it that way at all
I see a French government instrumental in imposing post contractual adjustments causing a delay that list them the job.
I'm delighted the UK stepped up to the plate.
Most of the stuff we handed to the French had to be rigged with a safety switch in case they used it against us. I don't think we ever gave much to the Irish because we knew they would ....
How do you know the French imposed contract adjustments, can you share that info, which led to delays ?
How do you know the UK stepped up to the plate, Have you details of the proposed contract between AUS and USA
I'm not surprise the UK rigged what it sold, prob wasn't in the contract, but a very UK thing to do.
Well considering the first commissioned working Submarine was by an Irish inventor, something we prob gave you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on September 20, 2021, 12:10:37 PM
I would say France would have the authority to make a nuclear sub if they wanted to as it's their design. I presume they are far more expensive, but in the end the AUS purchased diesel. If they wanted nuclear they could have bought one from another country back in 2015, so AUS have changed their mind. No issue there but it doesn't sound like all avenues were exhausted in trying to resolve issues with France, or we wouldn't have the scenes we are seeing. Either way it's a political nightmare for AUS and the US are getting themselves in the fireing line which is very naive of them.

I don't see it that way at all

I see a French government instrumental in imposing post contractual adjustments causing a delay that list them the job.

I'm delighted the UK stepped up to the plate.

Most of the stuff we handed to the French had to be rigged with a safety switch in case they used it against us. I don't think we ever gave much to the Irish because we knew they would ....

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2021, 12:15:22 PM
Actually Britain is low on the corruption scale:-

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2020/index/gbr
Maybe so of the past and even recent past, but with brexit dawns a new day. The UK looking to change laws might be taken advantage of the situation. The disgraceful PPE contracts and that contract for a ferry company are the tip of the ice-berg. Those acts in themselves are bad and could happen in any country, but that nobody looses their job makes the whole thing smell rather bad.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2021/03/corruption-britain-has-reached-new-heights-under-boris-johnson-s-government
As for money laundering, London has been out there leading the world.
https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/how-fincen-leaks-expose-london-as-a-money-laundering-hub-39963