No queue at the post office.

Started by papasmurf, September 16, 2021, 12:07:24 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 12:24:09 PM
The village post office it the only place for miles where it is possible to get cash using a credit/debit card. Otherwise the nearest "hole in the wall" bank is 13 miles away.
I once came across a post office in a Kent pub. Apparently it used to be in the local village shop, but that had closed because there was a frequent bus service to Bluewater and it couldn't compete, so the pub installed the post office...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

I never understood why OAPs queue outside the local post office for ages before it opens on pension day. I'm an OAP myself now and I still don't understand it.

In recent years most of my visits to the post office have been to post things I've sold on Ebay. And I haven't even done that for the last couple of years.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 16, 2021, 12:27:07 PM
It is the pensioners.

Pre bug me and my mates would line up outside the Post Office, pension books at the ready and dream happily of all the bread and dripping we could buy.
Don't forget the Werther's Original sweets. And remember to grab your copy of Fly Fishing by J R Hartley.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2021, 06:07:00 PM

So no queue of tourists waiting to buy a postage stamp for their "wish you were here" postcard ...

I can't think of any reason at all for a tourist to visit Helston Town centre. There is little reason for those of us who live near it to visit it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 12:07:24 PM
I had to go into the nearest town to the post office  yesterday, (the one in the village is limited in what transactions it can do.)

There was no queue at all, normally the queue is out of the door and a long way up the street. (That was pre Covid.)

So no queue of tourists waiting to buy a postage stamp for their "wish you were here" postcard ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 16, 2021, 12:27:07 PM
It is the pensioners.

The nearest town is full of Zimmer Frame Pilots, and those waiting for God. So why no queue in the Post Office?
(Mind you the town seemed to have a post apocalyptic lack of people on the streets.)
On the other hand, I wanted to get the tracking checked on my car but the ATS tyre depot outside of town was so rammed with work I had to make an appointment for Friday.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 12:07:24 PM
I had to go into the nearest town to the post office  yesterday, (the one in the village is limited in what transactions it can do.)

There was no queue at all, normally the queue is out of the door and a long way up the street. (That was pre Covid.)

It is the pensioners.

Pre bug me and my mates would line up outside the Post Office, pension books at the ready and dream happily of all the bread and dripping we could buy. But now the Peking Pox has wiped out the cotton tops and the post offices are no longer bothered by customers
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 16, 2021, 12:18:59 PM
There are still more Post Offices than the combined total of bank and building society branches. They are a great asset to all communities, and now the top management has been given a kick up the backside over its almost criminal mishandling of the Horizon scandal, maybe its business planners will be given freer rein to expand its branch numbers and services...

The village post office it the only place for miles where it is possible to get cash using a credit/debit card. Otherwise the nearest "hole in the wall" bank is 13 miles away.

patman post

There are still more Post Offices than the combined total of bank and building society branches. They are a great asset to all communities, and now the top management has been given a kick up the backside over its almost criminal mishandling of the Horizon scandal, maybe its business planners will be given freer rein to expand its branch numbers and services...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf