A General Election?

Started by T00ts, September 16, 2021, 03:24:53 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 19, 2021, 07:40:09 PM
Sadly we are stuck with it for now. And your hobby horse would just make it worse.

Mind you, you always seem a bit sheepish to me.

My hobby horse is doing fine thanks. As you know, if they nod off, they get a good shake up.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 12:21:32 AM
Any person of reasonable intelligence knows that an uplift given to bridge a certain hardship will be withdrawn when the hardship has gone. Why anyone thought it was ever going to become permanent is a mystery to me.

The problem is not only has the hardship not gone it is getting worse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on September 18, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
LOL they have started to sound like me already, before long they will realise, we don't need to play the Westminster them or us game. All this we will reform ourselves malarky only has a few years. Just like I said.
Sadly we are stuck with it for now. And your hobby horse would just make it worse.

Mind you, you always seem a bit sheepish to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 12:30:15 AMthere's a few years to go yet
LOL they have started to sound like me already, before long they will realise, we don't need to play the Westminster them or us game. All this we will reform ourselves malarky only has a few years. Just like I said.

Nick

We're back to wish politics.

The facts are Boris is still very popular and no one in the Tory party is even thinking they can better him. And Boris isn't going to pull the pin anytime soon, numbers are a little too close at the moment and Labour would most likely give Starmer the boot and install some one like Lisa Nandy, giving them a chance.

Settle down peeps, there's a few years to go yet.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 16, 2021, 07:44:17 PM
Well as she was complaining about the £20 uplift in universal credit being withdrawn which I agree is wrong she conveniently forgot to mention her families involvement in the sale of a council house purchase later sold for an exhorbitant profit.

Any person of reasonable intelligence knows that an uplift given to bridge a certain hardship will be withdrawn when the hardship has gone. Why anyone thought it was ever going to become permanent is a mystery to me.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

I can't see Boris Johnson calling a general election soon because I can't see why he'd want to do so. The Tories have a big majority at the moment and although they'd quite likely win again, the majority would probably be considerably reduced. And for what? An extra 18 months in office. Not worth the risk.

Much more likely is a challenge to Boris Johnson as leader of the Tory party, which could result in someone even worse in No.10.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

I suspect the Brexit Mark Two party could take enough votes from the Tories to put a lot of Tory marginals in jeopardy.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

I very much doubt Boris will be there in two years, we have surrounded him with populists getting them to follow him rather than the other way around will be a full-on battle. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer won't wash, we have already set about taking some control back.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 16, 2021, 07:44:17 PM
Well as she was complaining about the £20 uplift in universal credit being withdrawn which I agree is wrong she conveniently forgot to mention her families involvement in the sale of a council house purchase later sold for an exhorbitant profit.
That is sadly all too typical of "aspirational" middle class Labour types. They see nothing wrong with being on the make and taking advantage of finacial opportunities that come their way, regardless of whether it is ethical from a Labour perspective. That's the problem with these "aspirational" middle class types who tend to put their own gain  above that of the common good in an almost Tory-like way.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 07:34:42 PM
Thornberry is an "aspirational" middle class snob who looks down her nose at working class people. People such as that even at grassroots level are making themselves at home in the Labour Party whilst working class lefties are being driven out and mislabelled as racists.

Where they hope to get the votes from to replace us baffles me.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 16, 2021, 07:28:58 PM
Watching Thornberry on Peston last night and she was trotting out "but we're in opposition" excuses in advance of anything.

I still wish someone would ask her how her court case is going on over "I'm glad my constituency aren't as stupid as yours"
Thornberry is an "aspirational" middle class snob who looks down her nose at working class people. People such as that even at grassroots level are making themselves at home in the Labour Party whilst working class lefties are being driven out and mislabelled as racists.

Where they hope to get the votes from to replace us baffles me.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 07:15:13 PM
From a Tory perspective an election in the short to medium term looks like a good strategy. The polls are looking dangerous at this precise moment so awaiting a more opportune occasion would make a bit of sense. And to wait and see how the fallout from recent decisions pans out. It also makes sense to get the party conferences out of the way first, because it is not reliable in advance to try and predict what impact these will have.

But going sooner rather than later makes a lot of sense. The Labour party is in turmoil right now, with the leadership more focussed upon fighting a section of it's own membership than upon fighting the Tories. And Labour still remains largely a policy free zone. So it has little to offer beyond vote for us cos we are not as bad as the other lot. To the obvious next question of what would Labour do instead, cue floundering politician trying to avoid the question.

If there were an election today, if policies and ideas are the weapons needed to win votes, Starmer would be sending his troops over the top without any weapons. The result of that will be predictable. Labour will get slaughtered.

The people in charge of Labour seem too stupid to realise all this. But the longer Boris waits, the more time he leaves for wiser counsell to prevail in the opposition. If I were him I'd be thinking of an election maybe next year, earlier rather than later in the year. But he'd be best advised to keep quiet about it for now so as to easily change his mind without exposing himself as a ditherer should the polls nosedive for any reason.
Watching Thornberry on Peston last night and she was trotting out "but we're in opposition" excuses in advance of anything.

I still wish someone would ask her how her court case is going on over "I'm glad my constituency aren't as stupid as yours"
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 07:15:13 PM
From a Tory perspective an election in the short to medium term looks like a good strategy. The polls are looking dangerous at this precise moment so awaiting a more opportune occasion would make a bit of sense. And to wait and see how the fallout from recent decisions pans out. It also makes sense to get the party conferences out of the way first, because it is not reliable in advance to try and predict what impact these will have.

But going sooner rather than later makes a lot of sense. The Labour party is in turmoil right now, with the leadership more focussed upon fighting a section of it's own membership than upon fighting the Tories. And Labour still remains largely a policy free zone. So it has little to offer beyond vote for us cos we are not as bad as the other lot. To the obvious next question of what would Labour do instead, cue floundering politician trying to avoid the question.

If there were an election today, if policies and ideas are the weapons needed to win votes, Starmer would be sending his troops over the top without any weapons. The result of that will be predictable. Labour will get slaughtered.

The people in charge of Labour seem too stupid to realise all this. But the longer Boris waits, the more time he leaves for wiser counsell to prevail in the opposition. If I were him I'd be thinking of an election maybe next year, earlier rather than later in the year. But he'd be best advised to keep quiet about it for now so as to easily change his mind without exposing himself as a ditherer should the polls nosedive for any reason.

Of course, all this talk is pointless unless he's castrated Nick Clegg's Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

EDIT

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2859/stages

Looks like it sailed through its third reading in the commons despite labour sour grapes at the loss of their zombie making powers, and is now well into the Lord's.

Capital !
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677