Main Menu

M25 - Why?

Started by T00ts, September 16, 2021, 09:04:20 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2021, 11:55:46 AM
They can be thrown in prison for contempt of court if they break that.
Obstructing the highway is a bit of a light offence and the courts won't wear conspiracy.
And to be on a motorway it is potentially highly dangerous and could result in pile ups. And surely at the very beginning when they first step out they are putting themselves at risk. And they are surely being highly provocative to the drivers they stop, many of whom will have work to do and jobs to get to. If this is allowed to continue, sooner or later some of them are going to get a good kicking. It is asking for trouble and not the way to protest. In terms of getting the public onside it is utterly counterproductive. If I were stuck there for hours because of them, it would build in me a mindset where the last thing I would want to do is agree with their cause, even if the cause made sense. In terms of achieving anything, these guys are idiots.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HDQQ

Most protests involve a controversy. Think of Extinction Rebellion, Back Lives Matter, the anti-vaxxers, the Peoples' Vote marches, the Trump insurrection.
What's odd with the M25 protests is that just about everyone agrees that homes should be well insulated and most homes are insulated to some degree if they can be.
Now that gas prices have skyrocketed, the protesters are pushing on even more of an open door than they were before.

QuoteObstructing the highway is a bit of a light offence and the courts won't wear conspiracy.
Trespassing on a motorway is a bit different, and then there are all the traffic offences the protesters might have committed, not to mention endangering lives.

What next? Pro-HS2 protesters blocking the West Coast main line?
I remember the fuel tax protests some years ago, started by farmers who don't have to pay tax on most of their fuel anyway!

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

They can be thrown in prison for contempt of court if they break that.
Obstructing the highway is a bit of a light offence and the courts won't wear conspiracy.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I have arrived at this morning thinking that everything around me has gone mad. Now Priti has got an injunction against Insulate ? to stop them holding the M25 hostage.

What? It is illegal for people to walk on the motorway let alone sit on it or glue themselves to the tarmac. Was that not enough for the police force to act like a proper police force instead of every illegal's buddy?
So the injunction will change what?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 03:33:11 PM

I find it strange that no one ever mentions the Amazon being cut down at a rate of knots.

They do but not on this forum. I get emails about it at least once a week.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 03:33:11 PM

I find it strange that no one ever mentions the Amazon being cut down at a rate of knots.

That was last years fashion.

Try to keep up Pat.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2021, 02:08:24 PMIm open minded either way , but i think it too early to say with any certainty that mankind is definetly the root cause of the current change in our climate for what its worth.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 10:29:21 PM
That is blatantly untrue. But you are a long standing climate change denialist. Thankfully now you are in that respect part of a small and ever dwindling minority.

Your denialism will of course make no difference in the long run. Most of humanity can see what is happening. The big question is no longer one of belief, but whether or not humanity can overcome it's yearning for short term rewards in the interests of a long term future. Denialists themselves are now too few in number to make much difference to that choice.

I think to be fair steve , most people accept the climate is changing. Glasgow having its driest summer  in 160 years and warmest on record is something pretty unusual.

The question is what is causing climate change.......natural event or man made ?

Im a long term member of a weather forum , and although im certainly no expert , a lot of the people on there who study the climate either as a hobby or some even professionally agree that there is a lot of things we arent sure of in terms of man made climate science , and there is inevitably much disagreement in enfolding discussions.

Im open minded either way , but i think it too early to say with any certainty that mankind is definetly the root cause of the current change in our climate for what its worth.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 09:48:28 PM
Population is certainly an issue which goes unmentioned and ought to be addressed. Because it is mathematically obvious that even if we all halved our carbon footprints, it would make zero difference if there were twice as many of us.

Fact is that in many western countries population growth is no longer a serious issue. In the UK ours is growing mostly due to migrants from poorer countries coming here rather than by excessive breeding by the indiginous population.

Problem is in many poorer countries with lower life expentencies and no pensions or welfare for older people, having lots of kids seems like a necessary insurance policy, ensuring that enough of them survive to take care of you when you are too old to work or take care of yourself. And a lack of readily available contraceptives in some poorer countries just makes this worse. Fix this, and population growth in poorer countries would decline dramatically.

There is no other way of reducing population size in the long run except by globally reproducing more slowly than the deasth rate. The alternative - just killing people - is not acceptable. And of course this would mean societies becoming more top heavy with fewer younger people and a lot of older ones, which will bring it's own problems. But somehow the issue of population does need to be recognised and addressed.

Brilliant post  and fully agree.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 16, 2021, 10:29:21 PMThat is blatantly untrue.

Let's see the science then!

The fact is , the 2 main ways the Earth can warm is more heat or retain heat.
If it was the greenhouse affect the warming would be seen in the atmosphere where it is trapped. That is not the case, the warming is in the wrong place.

The climate models assume CO2 is a driver so they all show the same: More CO2 increases the temp.

As I've said, show me the science.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

So people are blocking the M25 demanding that Britain does something it's already been doing for decades - insulating their homes.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2021, 12:56:42 PM
Oh, I'm goping to hand him one of those rubber boats the imigrants came over with, and a paddle, and tell him to go find his own mountain top. And unless they look like that actress from game of thrones you referred to, anyone else arriving on my mountaintop with a pleading look is gonna get the same response.

Oh well chances are I will be under water here - so I'll buy a boat.  ;D

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 17, 2021, 09:21:02 AM
Dunno John.

As said before, I live on a hill and Wales is one, so we should be safe. The question is, when Steve flees the rising water levels caused by the melting ice caps and asks us for shelter, what sort of rent do you think we can charge him?
Oh, I'm goping to hand him one of those rubber boats the imigrants came over with, and a paddle, and tell him to go find his own mountain top. And unless they look like that actress from game of thrones you referred to, anyone else arriving on my mountaintop with a pleading look is gonna get the same response.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

...and on the third strike the police sprung into action - finally. Not everywhere it's fair to say but it's a start. They were there before the protesters at last.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2021, 09:52:43 PM

What you fail to highlight is the fact that life is cheap in several countries, has been for centuries and will remain so.

Dunno John.

As said before, I live on a hill and Wales is one, so we should be safe. The question is, when Steve flees the rising water levels caused by the melting ice caps and asks us for shelter, what sort of rent do you think we can charge him?
Algerie Francais !