Main Menu

M25 - Why?

Started by T00ts, September 16, 2021, 09:04:20 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 12:20:33 PM
I am not really any kind of denier. There was a time a decade or so back when I had my doubts about climate change. But I follow the news. I read the New Scientist. And I keep up with the evidence which is overwhelming now. And when the vast majority of scientists globally based upon the evidence conclude that global warming is a reality I am inclined to believe them. Those that don't in spite of that evidence are the deniers. Only a few posts back I posted a link to the scientific evidence, which itself contained many other more detailed sources that could be looked at. Those denying it have much the same credibility as those denying the moon landings now.
Nobody as far as I know says you cannot pray to Climate change, all that is happening is people are trying to give you a view of the bigger picture, the Chinese for example are much harder to convince, which it seems they are deniers.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

I'm all for greener environmental policy and some green political activism is good - but anyone who superglues their hand to a motorway because they're worried their neighbour's loft insulation might not be thick enough should be dealt with under the Mental Health Act.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 30, 2021, 12:06:31 PM
It isn't nonsense Steve they do act like a religion i.e. you're a denier and sadly this is how it's all gone not just with this.

Nobody listens to anyone else anymore it's divisive and without reason.
I am not really any kind of denier. There was a time a decade or so back when I had my doubts about climate change. But I follow the news. I read the New Scientist. And I keep up with the evidence which is overwhelming now. And when the vast majority of scientists globally based upon the evidence conclude that global warming is a reality I am inclined to believe them. Those that don't in spite of that evidence are the deniers. Only a few posts back I posted a link to the scientific evidence, which itself contained many other more detailed sources that could be looked at. Those denying it have much the same credibility as those denying the moon landings now.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 11:27:20 AM
Nonsense. Scientists do not act on blind faith. They measure, study, build upon prior knowledge, theorise based on the measured facts, conduct experiements to confirm or disprove theories. In short they follow the evidence.

Comparing that to a religion simply because the evidence leads most of them to conclude something you don't like is ridiculous.
It isn't nonsense Steve they do act like a religion i.e. you're a denier and sadly this is how it's all gone not just with this.

Nobody listens to anyone else anymore it's divisive and without reason.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 11:27:20 AM
Nonsense. Scientists do not act on blind faith. They measure, study, build upon prior knowledge, theorise based on the measured facts, conduct experiements to confirm or disprove theories. In short they follow the evidence.

Comparing that to a religion simply because the evidence leads most of them to conclude something you don't like is ridiculous.
But then like you said, it is assumed. Obviously, a bit of a nerve touched there, with comparing it to religion which can easily be done.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2021, 10:25:22 AM
I suggest you review and think about what you've said here.
I suggest you read the scientific evidence I provided.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 30, 2021, 11:02:21 AM
They also thought plagues were caused by Jews poisoning the wells, a view still popular in certain sections of the Labour party, but not as main stream as it was in the light of current research.
Such stupid things were thought at a time when there were hardly any actual scientists and most people tended to be governed by religious claptrap and superstition. And no one in the Labour party believes Jews are poisoning wells but I suspect you meant that particular comment tongue in cheek, as you are wont to do. It is how you express your humour sometimes

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on September 30, 2021, 11:04:28 AM
Well actually, the vast weight of daily psychology supports it, without evidence but just theory.  a classic case of 2+2 makes 5. One could say it has become the biggest globalised religion on the planet. Complete with a bible nobody can actually prove.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 08:09:58 AM
The vast majority of that evidence supports such assumptions which are themselves based upon measured facts. Which is why the vast majority of scientists think as they do.
Well actually, the vast weight of daily psychology supports it, without evidence but just theory.  a classic case of 2+2 makes 5. One could say it has become the biggest globalised religion on the planet. Complete with a bible nobody can actually prove.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 08:09:58 AM
The vast majority of that evidence supports such assumptions which are themselves based upon measured facts. Which is why the vast majority of scientists think as they do.

They also thought plagues were caused by Jews poisoning the wells, a view still popular in certain sections of the Labour party, but not as main stream as it was in the light of current research.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 08:27:45 AMAnd yes warming lags CO2 increases which is itself a worry, but such increases begin to have a seriuous impact in a lot less than 800 years. It's impact is being measured and felt already.

I suggest you review and think about what you've said here.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2021, 10:51:46 PM
Your evidence.....

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/what-evidence-exists-earth-warming-and-humans-are-main-cause

/\ /\ /\  Climate.gov, and it shows precisely zero evidence. It spends 60% of the article telling us temp is going up and ice is melting. The other 40% tells us temperature and CO2 are aligned, incorrect: CO2 lags temperature by about 800 years.

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/basics-of-climate-change/

/\/\ /\

"Rigorous analysis of all data and lines of evidence shows that most of the observed global warming over the past 50 years or so cannot be explained by natural causes and instead requires a significant role for the influence of human activities."

More science... /\ /\  We can't explain it so it must be humans, great science.

Do you have any science Steve cause the Royal Society and Climate.Gov don't?
I provided many more links than those two you have chosen to single out. And yes warming lags CO2 increases which is itself a worry, but such increases begin to have a seriuous impact in a lot less than 800 years. It's impact is being measured and felt already.

Here are a host of actual scientific facts for you to read....

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

And here are the opinions of one of the most gifted scientists of recent years. I would suggest that he is likely to know more about it than you, or nigel lawson or any other denialist shite you find on the internet...

https://carbonliteracy.com/stephen-hawkings-outlook-on-climate-change/

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 29, 2021, 11:07:39 PM
Link?
Such a link about the views of a certain section of students from a certain university would be almost impossible to find. But is is logically obvious that since the vast majority of scientists who at some point graduated from a university recognise man made global warming to be a reality, then the vast majority of science graduates from almost all universities will do so. If you have evidence that one particular university - MIT for example - bucks this trend, then how about you supplying a link?

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on September 29, 2021, 11:19:04 PM
Something to chew over, assumed.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 29, 2021, 10:34:20 PMThese things are assumed to be facts
Something to chew over, assumed.