Biden shuns EU with Asia-Pacific power play

Started by Borchester, September 16, 2021, 11:19:26 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2021, 12:30:04 PM
While there are elements of truth in what you say, it's a very English twist on reality. It would be sort of correct to say the Irish elite at the demise of the language moved to using English and that in modern times most Irish people see the language as "not important" and don't keep it up post school. However the demise of the language is before DeValera's time and he was a fluent Irish speaker himself.
The reality is under English rule, the introduction of English only speaking schools where Irish was banned was one point, the second being the land and business grab where all Irish landlords were thrown off their land and this was given to English men, speaking English. But by far the biggest contributor was the Famine and emigration, both caused by the English treatment of the Irish. It wasn't until 1922 that the language received full language rights, something Sinn Fein fight for in NI, it doesn't have that standing today up there.

So the crux of the situation is the English banned the language in schools, the English took the land & businesses introducing English people at elite level, the English caused the Famine (genocide really) and the English caused the mass Emigration.

That's not the same as people loosing interest in the language, so when I say I would be speaking Irish if it weren't for the English, that is exactly what I mean.

More of your inane labour party ladybird book of irish history.

People havent lost interest in gaidhlig in scotland and ireland. The language has more interest in it today than it has for centuries due to the great work of many people who love the language and do immense work  , often at massive  personal  time and expense , to keep it alive.

We can go back over the why and how of the language we call "english" coming to be the common tongue of these islands if you like , but the point in making to you is Ireland has been an independent country  , in charge of its own language affairs now for 100 years , and the irish elite have had plenty time to turn ireland back to a gaidhlig speaking nation , but havent done so.

The reason they havent done so is pure and simple economics. They make little effort with gaidhlig , teach it in schools as a second language , but once out of school , it is in reality outwith the gaidhealtachd ,of little practical use in every day irish lives , so people "discard" what they have learned .

The irish elite could have tied it to jobs and the economy , but havent done so in 100 years. Israel meanwhile has revived hebrew as the every day language in half the time Ireland has been independent.

So whatever the ancient historical arguments of the why and how gaidhlig disappeared over most of scotland and ireland , the fact of the matter is its true to say the irish are at fault for gaidhlig almost disappearing in modern ireland.

Wales , under english rule for much longer than ireland , has a better language policy under english rule than independent ireland has out of the uk.

So what you are trying to say just doesnt make sense and sounds once again you taking offence on behalf of ireland for stuff you know little about.
the second being the land and business grab where all Irish landlords were thrown off their land and this was given to English men, speaking English

Irish landlords?

You are letting slip here gerry.

Private land ownership was unknown in gaeldom , as you should know gerry. It was a foreign system introduced into scotland and ireland by foreign conquerors , and while post the tudor and cromwellian conquests it became widespread in use throughout ireland , any irishmen who were "landlords" were seen as scum and worse than the english for preying on their own people.

So what are you talking about now?

Honestly gerry stick to your own field where you are comfortable , economics ,as you constantly make an arse of yourself out of it in the world of politics or history.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 23, 2021, 01:36:49 AM
Correct, and a million posts ago I asked you for a link showing Germany was threatening to cancel a deal.
your the one saying germany runs the EU, not me. You show the proof that they made the others threaten the deal, i know they didnt. You still haven't shown how germany gets to make eu coutries do what they want.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 23, 2021, 01:09:54 AMwhat that says is why would germany on one hand sign a loi (deal) and at the same time cancal trade talks(a deal) those two things contradict each other.

Correct, and a million posts ago I asked you for a link showing Germany was threatening to cancel a deal.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on September 23, 2021, 01:09:54 AM

Therefore germany wasnt threatening to stop trade talks, the EU were and the EU isnt run by germany.

:) :) :) :)

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 23, 2021, 01:02:20 AM
Only you are talking about an EU deal, I said German deal.

Grammatically that says Germany threatened to cancel the deal, simple.
what that says is why would germany on one hand sign a loi (deal) and at the same time cancal trade talks(a deal) those two things contradict each other.
Therefore germany wasnt threatening to stop trade talks, the EU were and the EU isnt run by germany.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 23, 2021, 12:44:34 AMno i didn't, germany can't cancel a EU deal

Only you are talking about an EU deal, I said German deal.

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 09:44:37 PMDays after France has its pants pulled down, Germany signs a LOI with OZ

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2021, 11:30:06 AMSo answer this Nick, if Germany has just issued a LOI to AUS, and if GER runs the EU, why then would Germany, running the EU, threaten to cancel the trade deal. Is that not a complete contracdiction with the LOI ?

Grammatically that says Germany threatened to cancel the deal, simple.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2021, 11:31:37 PM
All very well but you said Germany threatened to cancel the deal, I take it you don't have one then.
no i didn't, germany can't cancel a EU deal or in this case proposed trade deal, they don't run the EU, remember.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 22, 2021, 04:28:38 PM
https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/news/article/aukus-submarine-fall-out-rumbles-on-as-eu-backs-france

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an interview on Monday: "One of our Member States has been treated in a way that is not acceptable. We want to know what happened and why. We have to clarify that before we can go on with business as usual."

Translated from political talk, that's the EU saying, sort out the problems with France or the EU will stall trade talks. You're prob not used to the subtle approach having the likes of bumbling Johnson the clown in command.
It's up to AUS to determine what's more important.

All very well but you said Germany threatened to cancel the deal, I take it you don't have one then.

patman post

That looks like one of your rasher predictions...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on September 22, 2021, 04:28:38 PM
https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/news/article/aukus-submarine-fall-out-rumbles-on-as-eu-backs-france

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an interview on Monday: "One of our Member States has been treated in a way that is not acceptable. We want to know what happened and why. We have to clarify that before we can go on with business as usual."

Translated from political talk, that's the EU saying, sort out the problems with France or the EU will stall trade talks. You're prob not used to the subtle approach having the likes of bumbling Johnson the clown in command.

Oh Christ, that means the UK is going to starve to death like it did when the Irish farmers closed down the bacon mines after Brexit!
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 09:59:42 PM
So you're not going to link it then?

The answer will come in the other thread when you realise your maths is a little skewed.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2021, 08:50:57 PM
Again, show how germany can get the EU to stop trade talks. sho how that can happen

You haven't a clue, photos and now when GErmany agrees with what the EU is doing, you say that Germany controlled the EU.

So you're not going to link it then?

The answer will come in the other thread when you realise your maths is a little skewed.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 07:47:09 PM
And you're going to link this German threat to cancel, not EU threat?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1494453/eu-news-Germany-Australia-space-military-letter-france-macron-submarine-deal-aukus

Again, show how germany can get the EU to stop trade talks. sho how that can happen

You haven't a clue, photos and now when GErmany agrees with what the EU is doing, you say that Germany controlled the EU.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 21, 2021, 11:30:06 AMSo answer this Nick, if Germany has just issued a LOI to AUS, and if GER runs the EU, why then would Germany, running the EU, threaten to cancel the trade deal. Is that not a complete contracdiction with the LOI ?

And you're going to link this German threat to cancel, not EU threat?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1494453/eu-news-Germany-Australia-space-military-letter-france-macron-submarine-deal-aukus

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on September 21, 2021, 02:11:31 PM
Looks like China is suffering from the pitfalls of capitalism too — some news media comments:

Chinese property giant Evergrande is on the brink of collapse.   
After expanding rapidly for years and snapping up assets as China's economy boomed, Evergrande is now snowed under a crushing debt of $300 billion. 
The Chinese developer is so huge that the fallout from a potential failure could hurt not only the Chinese economy, but spread to markets beyond.   
If Evergrande can't repay its debt, it may lead to a situation of "cross default" — this is where a default triggered in one situation may spread to other obligations, leading to broader contagion. 

https://time.com/6099000/china-evergrande/ 
https://apnews.com/article/business-china-beijing-financial-markets-9b77908b0333b601bffa016a6f7c2892 
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/17/china-developer-evergrande-debt-crisis-bond-default-and-investor-risks.html 

Of course these may just be US wishful thinking — something not uncommon in the UK — but $300 billion is some debt when the effect of any failure spreads across the Chinese, Pacific and World economies. 
Could China's economy implode? Should the world be worried? If the worst happened, would other nations step in...?
The Chinese state will simply take it over if it has to to protect it's economy. They are not fixated upon sink or swim ideological capitalism like many in the west. They are not driven by any ideological imperative to let it go under to encourage the others, but will act pragmatically. Those awaiting a looming financial disaster do not realise that China is not ioperating by the same market assumptions as many in the west. It sees capitalism as a tool, not a master. Those expecting a Chinese economic implosion any time soon are likely to be waiting a very long time.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.