Brexit slowly killing the fishing industry.

Started by papasmurf, September 18, 2021, 08:00:36 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2021, 12:50:35 PM
Eh?
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/truckers-say-lack-of-respect-a-key-issue-in-staff-shortages-40664153.html

Gerry , it was only recently the IRHA was warning the dublin government of a shortage of irish drivers and an aging profile of those who work in the industry which could potentially lead to massive disruption  in Ireland , and the reasons behind it.
the point still stands, which was IRL isnt experiencing a shortage of containers, delays yes, but its manageable. A potential issue with truck drivers is not the same as the cliff edge the UK saw, but to be fair the timing of Brexit with Covid has made the situation worse. With covid looking like its being brought under control immigrants will be drawn back to IRL from the EU, having freedom of movement, a welcoming nation, an avg salary of €35k but this link shows salaries of €43k, not great but not bad. Can the UK say the same, no, theres barriers to movement and a hostile attitude to immigrants and an immediate problem.

https://ie.indeed.com/career/truck-driver/salaries/Dublin--County-Dublin

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 08:27:04 AM

It is laziness you've got all the time in the world at home retired,teach yourself.

As already stated I could cook from the age of 11, and my wife is also an excellent cook.
Some of the cooking I do take three days to prepare. (What I call a candle under a stainless steel dustbin recipes.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 08:51:20 AM
I'll bet there's a shortage of pork pies in Cornwall.

The excellent local butcher makes their own. He also where at all possible use locally sourced meat.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 08:34:51 AM
I know nick i remember. There was us all thinking cornwall was a land of death and devastation after reading pappies illuminating reports over the last few years of the atomic winter that had descended on the place  , until you went for a visit and caught him out telling yet more porkie pies.
I'll bet there's a shortage of pork pies in Cornwall.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 08:27:04 AM
Well most of the population have access to the Internet and recipes though prefer to eat shite brought to them by some poor sod puffing and panting on his bike.
It also showed when the fact there were queues outside McDonalds when lockdown ended blocking the roads and that it was headline news when they ran out of milkshake.

What a sad state of affairs,in many ways there's never been more variety on offer though supermarkets offer what people want,I do lament the lack of offal.....nothing better than braised pigs kidney in wine.

Offal was the poor mans salvation cheap and tasty now it's presented as haute cuisine by fancy chefs at inflated prices.

It is laziness you've got all the time in the world at home retired,teach yourself.

Cromwell , i wouldnt even give him the courtesy of a reply on yet more hysterical exaggeration.

I would say most of the uk population can cook , and can cook well.

I think it more the fact people dont have the time to cook meals from scratch  , and live such fast paced lives , they often take the easier option of ready made meals.

In pappies day , the wife was chained to the kitchen sink while the husband went out to work , and how can anyone possibly expect pappy , a man who is in his seventies and childless , to understand the hectic lives working mothers lead in the 21st century ?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 10:48:01 PM
You forgot to mention produced receipts and photos to substantiate my claim.

I know nick i remember. There was us all thinking cornwall was a land of death and devastation after reading pappies illuminating reports over the last few years of the atomic winter that had descended on the place  , until you went for a visit and caught him out telling yet more porkie pies.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 07:05:09 AM
Most of the population. Just look at the shopping trolleys next time you go to a Supermarket.
When I state can't cook I mean nothing much beyond a very simple meal, and prepared and processed food proliferates.
(Unfortunately France is going the same way.)
This lady reminds me of my mother who could utilise every bit of a pig except the oink. (We did used to keep a pig at the top of the garden.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqvGuhBHDM&t=52s
Well most of the population have access to the Internet and recipes though prefer to eat shite brought to them by some poor sod puffing and panting on his bike.
It also showed when the fact there were queues outside McDonalds when lockdown ended blocking the roads and that it was headline news when they ran out of milkshake.

What a sad state of affairs,in many ways there's never been more variety on offer though supermarkets offer what people want,I do lament the lack of offal.....nothing better than braised pigs kidney in wine.

Offal was the poor mans salvation cheap and tasty now it's presented as haute cuisine by fancy chefs at inflated prices.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 10:34:51 PM
Who are 'They' that can't cook?

Most of the population. Just look at the shopping trolleys next time you go to a Supermarket.
When I state can't cook I mean nothing much beyond a very simple meal, and prepared and processed food proliferates.
(Unfortunately France is going the same way.)
This lady reminds me of my mother who could utilise every bit of a pig except the oink. (We did used to keep a pig at the top of the garden.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqvGuhBHDM&t=52s

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2021, 07:03:36 PMA miserly hermit living on the lizard peninsula ,well know for his tall tales and slight over exaggerations or an evil tory from lancashire well known for his support of boris!!!

Decisions decisions!!!

You forgot to mention produced receipts and photos to substantiate my claim.
But you're right, I am an evil Tory.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 03:59:06 PM
Frankly because they can't cook. (Seriously.) Other than that the majority of fishmongers closed decades ago.
Despite living near the sea and having unscrewed my wallet and given a large donation to the crowd funding of the purchase of buildings by local fishermen, I am having difficulty buying fresh fish, shellfish and bi-valve molluscs. I would have less problem buying illegal drugs, firearms and explosives.
The local marketing of local  fresh fish, shellfish and bi-valve molluscs is rubbish.

If you look out of your house, is there a little Mexican looking dude shouting The Plane, The plane boss? Cause you life on fantasy island.

Who are 'They' that can't cook?
When I was on holiday I walked up to a fishing boat and told him I wanted a couple of crabs and a couple of lobster. He chucked them in my cool box and I crossed his palm with silver: they were alive so how you can say they are hard to source and were rubbish is beyond me, how anything landside could possibly influence that is bizarre.

It strikes me all your difficulties exist between your ears cause none of them seem to resonate with anyone else.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2021, 07:51:50 PM
Member before the last general election pappy said this.. :D

boris was making corbyn look electable in pappies delusional world till reality took hold and corbyn led labour to their worst defeat in a century.

I tell you cromwell , when pappy gets it wrong , he really does it big time. Im wondering if he has the edge over quackers?

I sometimes wonder if the sun ever shines in Pappy's world. And if it did, would everyone go down with skin cancer?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 18, 2021, 07:32:37 PM
No it isn't,you've been predicting the end is nigh since I first ever logged on to ppf.
You also have never learned to laugh at yourself.....it does work wonders.

I have never predicted the end is nigh but the converging Brexit problems are going to make things pretty nasty.

Thomas

Member before the last general election pappy said this.. :D

Quote from: papasmurf on October 22, 2019, 10:21:07 AM
Boris is making Corbyn look electable.

boris was making corbyn look electable in pappies delusional world till reality took hold and corbyn led labour to their worst defeat in a century.

I tell you cromwell , when pappy gets it wrong , he really does it big time. Im wondering if he has the edge over quackers?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 18, 2021, 07:32:37 PM
No it isn't,you've been predicting the end is nigh since I first ever logged on to ppf.

What ive always wondered cromwell is who has the worst prediction rate on this forum.....pappy or quackers?

Its a tough choice.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 07:25:14 PM
It already is going tits up at an ever increasing pace.