Brexit slowly killing the fishing industry.

Started by papasmurf, September 18, 2021, 08:00:36 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 02:26:02 PMthat has stopped the production of carbon dioxide used in many industries.

According to you lot, we're making more CO2 than the world can handle.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on September 18, 2021, 02:07:35 PMIn Britain in general, shell fish, crabs, lobsters and flat fish are not that popular,

Not sure that it is down to popularity, more down to your average Joe being priced out.

If you go to Red Lobster or Joes Crab Shack in the states you're looking at about $25 for for a full Lobster or huge bucket of Snow Crab legs, in the U.K. you've got to sell a lung.

Thomas

The article i linked to above suggests that russia and some of the asian countries will suffer the biggest projected shortfall in drivers in 2021 , but hey , dont let  this get in the way of a chance to rubbish brexit.

Brexit is done and dusted , there is no chance in the next decade in my opinion of the uk , or england , rejoining at best  , or at least signing up to some BRINO deal no matter who whinges about what and blames brexit .

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2021, 02:20:09 PM

I think people in general who have suffered due to shortages

There are lot more shortages in the pipeline. UK Agricultural fertiliser production stopped because of a huge hike in gas prices, that has stopped the production of carbon dioxide used in many industries.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 02:04:28 PM
The problem is worse in Britain.
The figures appear to back you up.   

While other countries are also experiencing shortages of drivers for many of the same reasons as the UK (ie, retiring, moving to other industries, pay, Covid), British employers have also been hit by Brexit which forced many EU drivers, who had based themselves here, back to EU countries.   

Now, after Brexit, the additional border bureaucracy means it's also too much hassle for many of them to drive into and out of the UK because the delays cost them money. I've seen estimates that Brexit is responsible for approx 40% of the the UK's driver shortage... 

Here's a fairly comprehensive recent round up: 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57810729
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Perhaps if we started valuing drivers more , paying them better and training up the young instead of bleating about brexit and other pet hates , we might be able to solve this worldwide crises.

I think people in general who have suffered due to shortages are getting pretty fed up of listening to this nonsense of blaming brexit/afghanistan/covid or whatever , and simply want solutions rather than listening to the usual muppets use this as a political football to point score.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 18, 2021, 02:07:35 PM
I figure the UK is itself largely responsible for the decline in its fishing industry. Fish to most people in the UK is solely white fish from the chippie, with occasional fish finger sandwiches for the kids, and frozen fish and chips from Iceland. 

Locally before Brexit at least 95% of the fresh fish/shellfish/bivalve molluscs was exported to France and Spain.
A lot of that market ceased on January the 1st 2021, with especially the bivalve mollusc production ceasing within days. (It appears impossible to explain that to Nick.)
There is next no local or national market to replace that 95% loss.

Thomas

Quote"Despite reduced demand due to COVID-19, there is still an alarming shortage of drivers," says the organization. "Surveying 777 road transport companies from 23 countries, the IRU found that [the] driver shortage was most acute in Eurasia, where last year 20% of driver positions were not filled. China was the least affected country in 2020 with only 4% of jobs open. Elsewhere, [the] driver shortage was less serious in 2020 than 2019 due to the pandemic. In Europe, unfilled driver positions fell by around three quarters, from 24% to 7% for truck drivers."

But European companies are expecting a 17% shortfall in drivers this year, 18% in Mexico, 20% in Turkey, 24% in Russia, and almost one third in Uzbekistan, says the IRU.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/10145403/the-driver-shortage-were-not-alone

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 12:59:58 PM

Do I have to link to every EU country suffering before you drop this nonsense?

not just the EU nick , seems to be a serious problem worldwide..........

In fact, according to the IRU, otherwise known as the International Road Transport Union, that scarcity is a major part of the "challenging working conditions" suffered by drivers from Russia to Mexico, Europe to China. And improving those conditions – parking in particular – is seen as a key to resolving the driver shortage that's as severe in the rest of the world as it is here.

According to a broad survey done between October 2020 and January 2021, the shortage is serious and about to get worse.

https://www.trucknews.com/blogs/driver-shortage-and-its-solutions-are-the-same-the-world-over/

patman post

I figure the UK is itself largely responsible for the decline in its fishing industry. Fish to most people in the UK is solely white fish from the chippie, with occasional fish finger sandwiches for the kids, and frozen fish and chips from Iceland. 

Look down most high streets and there's more butchers than fish shops, and the supermarkets' devote about a third of the space to fish counters as they do to meat. In Britain in general, shell fish, crabs, lobsters and flat fish are not that popular, and the fresh fish that's being pushed to punters — like salmon and sea bream — is mostly farmed, some not even in the UK. 

I'm told that the British used to eat a lot of and a wide variety of fish — possibly as much as meat — but that the food restrictions during and after the war limited availability and people's taste for things like bloaters, kippers, flat fish, skate. It turned out they only wanted mackeral, sardines and tuna, etc, in tins. And most prawns and shrimps are still probably eaten in Chinese and Indian food. 

I reckon there's a great educating job to be done. Producing and eating too much meat is harmful to health and the environment. If Brexit is cutting off substantial markets from British fish, the UK food and fishing industry should work to attract the public back to all the different fish the home industry can supply...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

The problem is worse in Britain.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 18, 2021, 01:41:20 PM
No he'll never drop it it's not in the script.

The script being solely about mud slinging at tory bad , with which brexit is a convenient tool to use rather than something he remotely cares about either way.

cromwell

https://www.transportlogistic.de/en/trade-fair/industry-insights/truck-driver-shortage/

Research by logistics analysts Transport Intelligence found that Germany was missing between 45,000 and 60,000 HGV drivers last year. That number is increasing, with the International Road Transport Union warning of a 185,000 shortfall there by 2027.

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/people-profit/20210909-truck-driver-shortage-how-a-lack-of-hauliers-is-hurting-the-economy

European road transport firms are racing towards a driver shortage crisis of 150,000 unfilled jobs, according to new research from Transport Intelligence. ... France has a shortage of 20,000 drivers

No he'll never drop it it's not in the script.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 12:39:38 PM
Not to train the 100000 needed any time soon that is for certain.
I noticed whilst I was waiting for the tracking on my car too be done, and two new tyres fitted, the two delivery drivers who came to the depot looked like they would be using Zimmer frames and oxygen cylinders in the near future.

https://www.transportlogistic.de/en/trade-fair/industry-insights/truck-driver-shortage/

Research by logistics analysts Transport Intelligence found that Germany was missing between 45,000 and 60,000 HGV drivers last year. That number is increasing, with the International Road Transport Union warning of a 185,000 shortfall there by 2027.

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/people-profit/20210909-truck-driver-shortage-how-a-lack-of-hauliers-is-hurting-the-economy

European road transport firms are racing towards a driver shortage crisis of 150,000 unfilled jobs, according to new research from Transport Intelligence. ... France has a shortage of 20,000 drivers

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 18, 2021, 12:31:13 PM

Well, we all know why there's a shortage of truck driver's here. f**k all to do with anything except the UKs habit of scraping the bottom of barrels and hiring foreign labour who will work for less in a market they tilted in their favour .

Totally agree john , and chickens coming home to roost , which conveniently gets blamed on brexit by the usual suspects.

I think we are well past the "boy who cried wolf " stage now .