Brexit slowly killing the fishing industry.

Started by papasmurf, September 18, 2021, 08:00:36 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 19, 2021, 02:40:16 PM
That's brilliant, so an EU company can sell goods into the UK, competing with UK manufacturers that pay VAT and the EU company pays no VAT. If that's what Brexit was all about fantastic. Soon you'll have no local business and then EU exporters can rack up prices and really make a profit.

Ehhh, but UK VAT was a national competence, nothing to do with the EU. The UK could have done this when they were a member of the EU ? ??

Any other great Brexit law changing dividends.
Like I keep telling you, I really couldn't care less about the EU.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 02:24:35 PM
They are changing the level of VAT exemption on imported goods. Was 22 euros now zero.
That's brilliant, so an EU company can sell goods into the UK, competing with UK manufacturers that pay VAT and the EU company pays no VAT. If that's what Brexit was all about fantastic. Soon you'll have no local business and then EU exporters can rack up prices and really make a profit.

Ehhh, but UK VAT was a national competence, nothing to do with the EU. The UK could have done this when they were a member of the EU ? ??

Any other great Brexit law changing dividends.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 19, 2021, 02:23:35 PMso where's the new markets going to come from

Same place your beef markets come from. You stated quite adamantly that Ireland would find new buyers over night, they haven't.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40250537.html
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 19, 2021, 02:09:23 PM
This is what was said
I asked could Sheepy name some of the EU rules and regulations being removed "as we speak". Whats your issue with that, I didn't bring it up, Sheepy did, you now seem to think on this issue that this was debated at great length. Great length no less, on the topic of the EU rules and regulations that would be removed/changed post brexit. So maybe you can list what is being changed, seen as though it was debated at great length and it's being removed as we speak.

They are changing the level of VAT exemption on imported goods. Was 22 euros now zero.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 19, 2021, 02:05:01 PM
It might seem harsh but we either adapt or give up. We had 40+ years of fitting in with the EU, by design or otherwise, but things have changed. It's no good waiting for the world to come knocking on the door. If there is a business to run and a need to survive then it is time to look outside the box.

If something isn't working then change what you are doing. If France doesn't want our trade then find someone who does or produce something else. It's in the title of thread 'slowly', so there is time to adapt. It's a tough world.
This is true, but its more that if there's a demand then the business should be set to meet that demand. The issue with brexit is the UK serviced external markets in the EU, then the UK put up barriers and now those markets are becoming more difficult to trade with for UK companies. There are other markets on the other side of the world but they also have barriers, so where's the new markets going to come from

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2021, 12:50:46 PM
I think it is fair to point out that due to the EU embargo, particularly the unrestricted submarine warfare being waged by the French fleet as a result of the Chinese/Australia/UK/US dispute which has left untold numbers of half built diesel vessels seeking employment, the Borchester clan has fallen back on ploughing up the downs and eating each other.

We have mountains of spuds, industrial quantities of plums, apples, grapes, pumpkins etc and the prospect of more in the months to come. So we won't starve. On the other hand, it is all organic and in the nature of such, is not around for long. So should Gerry and his Fenian friends shut down the loo paper mines, then this part of old England is going to be in serious trouble.
Eu embargo  :D :D :D
The UK hasn't been able to feed itself for prob hundreds of years, without food imports you starve.
But your prob only worried about yourself, what happens when the hoards of your UK friends come over the hill and take your food, what then.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 12:42:11 PM
...and yet prior to johnsons landslide in 2019 , you were saying the opposite , that brexit was done and dusted ( when like those in the labour party you still clung to the idea you could pull the wool over voters eyes and give the public a BRINO).
Now that's bull sh1t, I never said brexit was finished. What do you call what the UK has at the moment, an internal border in its country, no Import controls, a free for all on all EU imports, is that taking back control to you ?  Something the UK extended from Jan to Oct and may again extend past that. Sounds like BRINO to me.
Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 12:42:11 PM
Gerry , you just arent machiavellian enough to pul the wool over the lowly voters eyes are you?

This concerned paddy mc gurk impersonation really is wearing a bit thin now.
Is that all you have, can't debate an issue so resort to insults and make up stuff.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 12:35:50 PM
Gerry , do you honestly think repeating the same old questions over and over , which were debated at great length pre 2016 and post , is somehow justifying your point of view?
This is what was said

Quote from: Sheepy on September 18, 2021, 09:34:41 AM
I couldn't care less about the EU we are having their sneaky rules and regulations removed as we speak.
I asked could Sheepy name some of the EU rules and regulations being removed "as we speak". Whats your issue with that, I didn't bring it up, Sheepy did, you now seem to think on this issue that this was debated at great length. Great length no less, on the topic of the EU rules and regulations that would be removed/changed post brexit. So maybe you can list what is being changed, seen as though it was debated at great length and it's being removed as we speak.

T00ts

It might seem harsh but we either adapt or give up. We had 40+ years of fitting in with the EU, by design or otherwise, but things have changed. It's no good waiting for the world to come knocking on the door. If there is a business to run and a need to survive then it is time to look outside the box.

If something isn't working then change what you are doing. If France doesn't want our trade then find someone who does or produce something else. It's in the title of thread 'slowly', so there is time to adapt. It's a tough world.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 12:32:42 PM
No it doesnt. You mentioned the uk having a missing 100 000 lorry drivers and said ireland isnt seeing these issues , the implication the uk and brexit is at fault , when the fact of the matter is the lorry driver shortage is world wide , with many countries haveing greater problems than the uk.
By all means gerry come on here and carry on trying to "point score" over brexit.
...but when you bring up ridiculous muck raking and trying to blame global issues on brexit , you will get called out on that fact.
You do your own "remain/rejoin/brino " cause an injustice by making such puerile points.
The more you lie or smear , the more people switch off to the EU. You arent doing yourself any favours.
No I didn't, I said Ireland isn't seeing container issues, which the previous poster was blaming China for hoarding containers. I said the woman in the clip mentioned 100,000 drivers and asked was that China's fault.
Many countries are seeing driver shortages, but they don't have brexit. Brexit on top is exacerbating the issue for the UK.
I'm not using covid and saying all issues are Brexit. I've said the UK is dealing with both covid and brexit and that is making a difference.

Nobody is mention remain/rejoin/brino. Only you, your the only one. Another strawman, say I'm suggesting re-joining, when I never have and then say that won't happen. Everyone knows the UK wouldn't look to re-join, too many obstacles, such as no rebate this time, no opt out of the Euro, no exceptions and the UK had a long list of these. Re-joining would be on a far less attractive proposition to what the UK had as a member only a short while ago.

Now I'm lying, care to point out where ?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 01:25:32 PM
Frankly Nick you appear to be blind to many things.  The problems being caused by Brexit took up much of the local BBC TV politics program this morning.

Just cause you've got arthritis in your leg doesn't mean I have it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 01:04:59 PM
excuses excuses. :D

Thomas it isn't me who is blind to the problems being caused by Brexit.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2021, 01:22:10 PM
If they are not noticed then they don't exist as far as anyone is concerned.

Frankly Nick you appear to be blind to many things.  The problems being caused by Brexit took up much of the local BBC TV politics program this morning.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe