Gas price rises prompt urgent government talks

Started by papasmurf, September 19, 2021, 07:21:27 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Fortunately for electricity I have a fixed price contract with a couple of years to run. I don't use mains gas but I just purchased two 19KG propane gas. (Which were £5 more each than 18months ago.)
It would not matter if gas were not privatised the wholesale price is set by the market.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 08:59:58 AM
Well I know this is an old issue but the utilities should never have been sold off.

Tell that to die hard tories who believe in the myth of the blessed Margaret,even the more wealthy and industry leaders came to that conclusion years ago.

Totally agree cromwell , started with thatcher and continued under blair and brown while labour had their 13 year stint. We have discussed it many a time .

Labour even began privatising scottish water , until they were kicked out before they could go any further and the process stopped.

To be fair cromwell , England im sorry to say is largely where the issues are. Your country cannot feed fuel or power itself , and largely because of succesive governments short term lack of forward thinking while continuing to drive the population upwards is leaving you at the mercy more and more of global issues where you are reliant on foreigners for your basic everyday needs.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 08:46:14 AM
The problems in the uk energy sector are largely of our own making , where for decades we have had short term visionless policies from both tory and labour governments.
Well I know this is an old issue but the utilities should never have been sold off.

Tell that to die hard tories who believe in the myth of the blessed Margaret,even the more wealthy and industry leaders came to that conclusion years ago.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Not to mention the collosul price we are paying for electric.

I wonder as well as many have said  , if energy companies are looking to recoup all that lost revenue from offices and other buildings that have lain empty and unused /unheated for the last two years of the pandemic?

Thomas

The problems in the uk energy sector are largely of our own making , where for decades we have had short term visionless policies from both tory and labour governments.

papasmurf

This is a far more serious issue that is being presented in the media/press reporting.
Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng stating there is no reason to panic frankly mean there is very good reason to panic.
Fertiliser production plants shut down has serious consequences because it also stops the production of the other products made in the process, that will have serious consequences across a wide range of industries and also the NHS. The "government sources" are lying when they state the is no threat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58605735

The government is holding urgent talks with representatives from the energy industry amid growing concern about a spike in wholesale gas prices.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng is talking to suppliers to hear how wide-reaching the impact of surging prices could be on companies and households.

High global demand, maintenance issues at some gas sites and lower solar and wind output are blamed for the rise.

The high prices have already led two large fertiliser plants to close.

This has resulted in a cut in the supply of carbon dioxide (CO2) - a by-product of fertiliser production - to the food industry and other manufacturers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe