It's gonna be a cold lonely winter

Started by T00ts, September 20, 2021, 11:13:22 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2021, 09:44:07 PMSo perhaps now you can see why the UC uplift should remain eh?

It doesn't and won't work like that Mr C. I think you give the great unwashed far too much credit.

My cousin runs his own P&D business and has built up a portfolio of a few rental properties over the years. About 5 years ago some dimwit in the DWP decided to give these herberts some responsibility by paying their rent directly to them. Guess what? He went to get the rent and there was a shiny new 50" TV on the wall and no rent money. "Nowt to do with me mate, the dole pays that money".

So no, the Govt will subsidise the energy companies to keep prices the same if they've any sense.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on September 20, 2021, 09:43:01 PM
My direct Kremlin contact tells me he has been marching around thinking of payback for Boris. Of course, it won't get left at that for one minute.

I've always thought you'd look good in crimson. 😉

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 09:26:57 PM
The problem is Russia, shock horror!!

They are restricting flow into the whole of Europe for some reason, I'm sure it will come out in the wash.
Some are suggesting they are going to start routing it a different way, the U.K. being out of the EU can negotiate directly with the sneaky Russian barstewards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/russia-is-pumping-less-natural-gas-to-europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html
Well it doesn't matter the whys or wherefores Nick but the price is going up whatever.

So perhaps now you can see why the UC uplift should remain eh?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 09:26:57 PM

They are restricting flow into the whole of Europe for some reason, I'm sure it will come out in the wash.
Some are suggesting they are going to start routing it a different way, the U.K. being out of the EU can negotiate directly with the sneaky Russian barstewards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/russia-is-pumping-less-natural-gas-to-europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html
My direct Kremlin contact tells me he has been marching around thinking of payback for Boris. Of course, it won't get left at that for one minute.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2021, 11:13:22 AM
This might belong in Economics but hey ho!

What's going on with the gas? As far as I can discover our stocks off Scotland are on the way out and we import from Norway mostly and a couple of other places. Prices have rocketed (why?) so small gas suppliers have gone to the wall leaving customers looking for a new home but in the meantime BJ is being asked for billions of £s to shore up the struggling industry. Why am I seeing refs to Russia?

Am I in for a freeze this winter and need to rush out and stock up on sheepskins to avert hypothermia or is there really no need to panic and all will be well for Christmas? I can't get my head around it at all.

Sheepy

So what would you say if we had heard from sources that this was planned by state actors outside of our control ready for winter?
Maybe send it to area 51 and hope it wasn't true? Or let Boris bluster through like he knows what he is doing?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 20, 2021, 02:26:43 PM
I was with an energy firm, Oneselect, which collapsed a couple of years back. The accounts got handed over to "Together Energy" who I soon left because they were crooks.
I don't see why the taxpayer should bail out energy companies who have taken on customers with a cheap price, with an unsustainable business plan. They should all be moved to a major player, such as British Gas.
The consumer supply is never interrupted when changing suppliers. It is all a paper exercise in buying in at bulk prices and selling it on the grid.

I started to change suppliers each year some years ago. I was once with Sainsburys since they had the best deal at the time and they sold out to British Gas. I was really cross and couldn't wait to leave them. Wasn't this idea of going with 'smaller' suppliers and regular change in order to put pressure on the big 5 or 6 who had a bit of a cartel going?  I am currently with Octopus who are listed outside the main guys but described as safe. Fingers crossed.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2021, 02:04:30 PMGas companies have collapsed who having promised their customers low prices cannot fulfil their promises with the current increases.
I was with an energy firm, Oneselect, which collapsed a couple of years back. The accounts got handed over to "Together Energy" who I soon left because they were crooks.
I don't see why the taxpayer should bail out energy companies who have taken on customers with a cheap price, with an unsustainable business plan. They should all be moved to a major player, such as British Gas.
The consumer supply is never interrupted when changing suppliers. It is all a paper exercise in buying in at bulk prices and selling it on the grid.

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

I am a populist, so no point starting a thread and running away, what do you all think, should we back him or not?

Sheepy

Boris is looking for our backing now to nationalise the energy companies, when we have told him for years a countries basic utilities should never be at the mercy of private enterprise as it puts the whole country in danger of foreign enterprise for its own means. Another lesson we didn't need.

T00ts

Ok I lent Jeremy Vine my ear but am not really any the wiser. Gas companies have collapsed who having promised their customers low prices cannot fulfil their promises with the current increases. Two USA owned firms who as a bi-product produce all the CO2 that we need have gone to the wall for the same reason.

So animals can't be stunned before slaughter or stored afterwards. Hence the meat trade is hit. Farmers are panicking what to do with their stock if they can't send them to slaughter.

Interestingly the loudest voices belonged to the vegetarians who are advocating that we all go vegan and solve the problem and stop killing animals etc.

Anyone here about to change their diet?

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2021, 01:52:35 PM
Brains?  If brains were dynamite he does not have enough to blow the wax out of his ears.
Well there is an amusing side Smurphy, the Germans were telling us the Russians have tons of the stuff cheap as chips as well.  ::)

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2021, 01:30:41 PM
I am glad to see that you have managed to keep your womenfolk under control Pappy.

Some years ago a male chauvinist pig accused me of ordering my wife to do something and he wondered all those within hearing collapsed with hysterical laughter.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe