It's gonna be a cold lonely winter

Started by T00ts, September 20, 2021, 11:13:22 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 21, 2021, 05:34:26 PM
With gas shortages, and the govt now subsidising CO2 production, why did we stop fracking

Fortunately fracking for gas in Britain never got started.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

With gas shortages, and the govt now subsidising CO2 production, why did we stop fracking and discourage petrol engined cars?   We need both to keep and cook our headless chickens. 

The world seems to have gone mad... 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2021/sep/21/food-industry-uk-shortages-co2-crisis-gas-meat-poultry-stock-markets-factories-business-live
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 21, 2021, 11:50:33 AM
Re Russia and Nord Stream 2
The yanks are furious that the Germans and other EU countries have backed the project which should be finished and pumping before the end of the year. Seems the yanks managed a bit of guerilla action in the EP last week, but nothing that had more than headline effect.
If Russia is holding back supply its most likely down to last ditch diverting by the Ukrainians from existing pipelines before they lose the ability to do so.

The US is offering to sell us all LNG shipped over in tankers and costing about four times as much as the gas from Russian pipes.
Nordstream 2 will be cheaper again, as it no longer has to pay transit fees to Kiev.
I know like taking candy from a baby. Joe will be having a nap at the moment which what the US voted for so all good then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sampanviking

Re Russia and Nord Stream 2
The yanks are furious that the Germans and other EU countries have backed the project which should be finished and pumping before the end of the year. Seems the yanks managed a bit of guerilla action in the EP last week, but nothing that had more than headline effect.
If Russia is holding back supply its most likely down to last ditch diverting by the Ukrainians from existing pipelines before they lose the ability to do so.

The US is offering to sell us all LNG shipped over in tankers and costing about four times as much as the gas from Russian pipes.
Nordstream 2 will be cheaper again, as it no longer has to pay transit fees to Kiev.

Barry

Moderator Notice
Please don't take this thread off topic. It's about an energy crisis.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which perhaps might make people think we need to slow down the launch of electric cars, until we have the power production and infrastructure to actually charge them all.

Net zero sounds such a lovely idea, but if we do it, there will probably be a lot less people in the country.
Unless we build a lot of nuclear power stations, they will be dying in their millions in the winter.
If we start building 6 now, we might be OK in 15 years when they are up and running.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2021, 10:50:04 AM
I would not ride a bicycle where I live, it is far too dangerous, the nearest takeaway if five miles away a very dangerous ride even more so after dark.
WTF does your fear of riding a bike around Cornish lanes after dark actually have to do with anything you are in your 70's anyway. It is pure madness.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on September 21, 2021, 10:30:59 AM
WTF?

I would not ride a bicycle where I live, it is far too dangerous, the nearest takeaway if five miles away a very dangerous ride even more so after dark.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2021, 10:25:54 AM
Given the distance from where I live takeaway bicycle delivery is a not starter, plus after dark I suspect anyone doing such deliveries would have a short like expectancy, due to the narrow and dangerous roads.
WTF?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 10:21:36 AM

Which is rather royally distant from the deliveroo cyclist at the burger joint up the road being rung at 8 to say "stay at home you ain't needed"

Given the distance from where I live takeaway bicycle delivery is a not starter, plus after dark I suspect anyone doing such deliveries would have a short like expectancy, due to the narrow and dangerous roads.

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on September 21, 2021, 09:58:10 AM
Informed sources from within the sector say that it's the other way round, at least in this area. A lot of genuine hardship cases and a few who try it on - usually those are the same people over and over, so they get to be known to the system.

The idea of zero hours contracts might suit some people, with the flexibility they offer. But if the contract 1) requires you to be available for work for, say 40 hours per week, 2) prohibits you from doing any other work and / or 3) requires you to work when they want but not when you want, then it's bad.

Shit, I'm going to have to give this hobby up I'm starting to agree with you....

Yeah, the fact is in the same way there are a near negligibly small number of people whose work / life commitments mean they can comfortably commute to work in a first generation Nissan Leaf charged overnight for 6p (no, not even close, it costs me about £2 a pop these days on the home charger to do what the Suzuki diesel would for £5), so there are a vanishingly small number of people whose portfolio of self employments mean they actually benefit from being able to tell an "employer" they can't work this week because they have to do a photo shoot in Monte Carlo ....

Which is rather royally distant from the deliveroo cyclist at the burger joint up the road being rung at 8 to say "stay at home you ain't needed"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on September 21, 2021, 09:58:10 AM
Informed sources from within the sector say that it's the other way round, at least in this area. A lot of genuine hardship cases and a few who try it on - usually those are the same people over and over, so they get to be known to the system.

Quite, the £20 a week cut in Universal credit is going to effect 50000 in Cornwall, add to that inflation rises, rent rises, rises to NI, there is going to be a lot of hardship locally.

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 12:08:10 AM
I've always maintained there are genuine people out there but there are a damn site more playing the system, and as I said we will see in the coming months.

Here's a challenge, find where I said Zero Hour Contracts are loved so much!
You'll find plenty where I said they suit some people.

The idea of zero hours contracts might suit some people, with the flexibility they offer. But if the contract 1) requires you to be available for work for, say 40 hours per week, 2) prohibits you from doing any other work and / or 3) requires you to work when they want but not when you want, then it's bad.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 12:07:50 AMI wonder about their sanity.
Well, no worries because today Boris says the people's government is getting on with delivering the promises in their manifesto, eh?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 07:49:20 AM

Can they not get Shemina to have a whip round among her ISIS pals and donate a few truckloads ?

As far as I am aware ISIS don't use ANFO, however American home grown anti government terrorists do. (Timothy McVeigh.)

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2021, 07:32:49 AM
Chickens with head chopped off springs to mind. Frankly I suspect just does not realise how serious the problem is.

The main agricultural fertiliser production plants shut down, that will effect agricultural production. (It will also effect quarries which use ANFO explosive for blasting.)
The by products of fertiliser production being stopped with have widespread effects to food production, and it could also effect some aucspects of the NHS.

Can they not get Shemina to have a whip round among her ISIS pals and donate a few truckloads ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>