I don't know about you lot

Started by Sheepy, September 21, 2021, 04:47:23 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 09:36:21 PM
Quite right. Talk about keeping rooms at 18c is OK for younger people who are active and moving around, but we are both in our 60s and find anything below 20c a bit chilly in winter. We aim for 20c with our heating.
British Gas have already told us we need to pay an extra £12 a month taking our monthly payments to £82 a month.
Lucky you we've been told by shell they want £125 a month.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2021, 09:53:18 PMI do though think that winter fuel payments should be extended to low income working age adults too. Or at least to those with conditions that make them more vulnerable to cold.

But everyone immediately shouts foul play if you even mention the phrase means tested.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 09:36:21 PM
Quite right. Talk about keeping rooms at 18c is OK for younger people who are active and moving around, but we are both in our 60s and find anything below 20c a bit chilly in winter. We aim for 20c with our heating.
British Gas have already told us we need to pay an extra £12 a month taking our monthly payments to £82 a month.
I am 56 and only have a one bedroom flat yet Eon is charging me 100 a month for gas and electricity.

I am fortunate with my metabolism in that I feel the cold much less than most and tend to struggle much more with excessive heat. But my 60s are less than 4 years away, and who knows how much the cold might start affecting me more as I get older. I certainly think winter fuel payments are an essential for poorer pensioners for sure, though I think it should come in the form of direct payments to energy companies on behalf of older customers. Because not all use it for the purpose intended. I have known some who have used it to finance Christmas then struggled with the gas bills.

I do though think that winter fuel payments should be extended to low income working age adults too. Or at least to those with conditions that make them more vulnerable to cold.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2021, 08:53:55 PMBut pensioners are a special problem because they tend to be far more vulnerable to cold. My 76 year old mum takes blood thinners due to heart issues which makes her even more vulnerable to the cold. She tends to need the heating if temps drop much below 20c.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 04:51:49 PM
How will the pensioners pay 14% more from their 2.5% increase?
@T00ts ?
Quite so. And not just pensioners. Many poor working age people are suffering a combination of benefit cuts and tax increases, on top of energy price rises. Far from getting an already pitiful 2.5% increase, many of these are going to see their incomes drastically fall even as their bills rise.

But pensioners are a special problem because they tend to be far more vulnerable to cold. My 76 year old mum takes blood thinners due to heart issues which makes her even more vulnerable to the cold. She tends to need the heating if temps drop much below 20c. For children and most working age people who can't afford heating, unless the cold is exceptional it will tend to be survivable however uncomfortable, though it is utterly disgusting that anyone should be expected to sit and shiver in their own homes. But for many pensioners, the cold can be lethal. The sensible ones will use their winter fuel allowances for the purpose intended and top up their gas and electricity with it, as my mum does. But this money will not go far enough if the bills get too large.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on September 21, 2021, 07:40:27 PM
Was that Cromwells dentures hitting the floor or just a pin dropping.
The wonders of fluoride or perhaps poligrip  :P  :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Was that Cromwells dentures hitting the floor or just a pin dropping.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 04:51:49 PM
@T00ts ?

The %ages don't mean much because they don't relate to each other. Sadly the nature of a lot of the elderly is a fear of debt. Some have cash but dread to spend it. Some only relate to prices from years ago and current prices frighten them to death. Some will die of cold no matter what anyone does and the fear mongering currently in the media etc only compounds their fear. It is going to come down to individual ability and circumstances. As far as I know all power companies have records of the elderly so hopefully they will treat them kindly.

Sadly there isn't an answer for those who are alone and neglected generally and it has ever been so. Let's hope that global warming will keep us all warm. I looked it up and 18+c 65f degrees appears to be the survival temp for the elderly in the home.  We need to be neighbourly, keep a look out for others and help if they will let us.

Barry

@T00ts ?
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/energy-crisis-live-government-strikes-deal-to-restart-co2-production-as-price-cap-could-rise-by-178/ar-AAOEOAt?ocid=msedgntp
But in my mind it is time this lot got a grip, or they will have to be deemed completely hopeless cases. Expecting the electorate to keep picking up the tab for their lack of experience is becoming a little boring.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!