Main Menu

BP rationing

Started by T00ts, September 23, 2021, 03:40:29 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on September 25, 2021, 10:35:30 AM
Jeremy Vine was big on it though, so it must be right. Panic fuel buying that is.

BBC Scotland are on the ball sheepy.

They have just sent their reporter Phil mcCann down to see whats happening at the pumps. :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Jeremy Vine was big on it though, so it must be right. Panic fuel buying that is.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on September 25, 2021, 09:50:42 AM
Having opened the thread I thought I would update it with a comment from a friend of my daughter's.

So, after seeing the news last night about fuel shortages, I popped in to Tesco at 0530 when I should have been sleeping! I spoke to a very nice tanker driver who was rather informative and told me that the boats carrying fuel are arriving daily at Plymouth, the two depots in Plymouth are extremely well stocked and there is no shortage of drivers. His only concern was news articles misleading the public. He finished by explaining that it is only BP who have issues. Back to bed....

Yeah, I've seen those very words on a dozen different arse book sites.

I'm off for a right laugh in about 15 mins

I'm going to fire up the Leaf, take Melissa into Newport and Cwmbran to give her mum some "separation anxiety" and go wave at all the arse holes queueing ..I'll make sure to plug the car into the FREE charge points that Volkswagen had to install at Tesco's as part of their community service punishment....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Having opened the thread I thought I would update it with a comment from a friend of my daughter's.

So, after seeing the news last night about fuel shortages, I popped in to Tesco at 0530 when I should have been sleeping! I spoke to a very nice tanker driver who was rather informative and told me that the boats carrying fuel are arriving daily at Plymouth, the two depots in Plymouth are extremely well stocked and there is no shortage of drivers. His only concern was news articles misleading the public. He finished by explaining that it is only BP who have issues. Back to bed....

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2021, 11:49:59 PM
Just a thought, but now it has become some sort of fun game, what can we get them panic buying next?

Turkeys.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on September 25, 2021, 07:20:42 AM
Spuds?

Every year I plant them because it keeps the allotment committee off my back, but how many of the buggers can a man eat.
I don't even earth them up. When they turn green I put them aside for next years seed which results a geometric expansion that will soon cover north London in prata fields. So if someone could start rumours of a potato famine and arrange for folk to storm my shed etc, I would be much obliged.
Are they the equivalent of forum mods? :P

Quote from: Barry on September 25, 2021, 07:29:10 AM
Electricity for rechargeable cars?

And there was me thinking all the fully electric car owners would be feeling rather smug watching everyone else panic buy.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Just a thought, but now it has become some sort of fun game, what can we get them panic buying next?
Electricity for rechargeable cars?
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Spuds?

Every year I plant them because it keeps the allotment committee off my back, but how many of the buggers can a man eat?

I don't even earth them up. When they turn green I put them aside for next years seed which results a geometric expansion that will soon cover north London in prata fields. So if someone could start rumours of a potato famine and arrange for folk to storm my shed etc, I would be much obliged.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

You're right srb.
Over to mathematic city...
There are 31 million cars in the UK and mostly people top up when they are at about a quarter of a tank.
If they panic buy they all get about 25 litres extra and that is 775 million litres of fuel suddenly gone.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2021, 09:23:12 PM
in my experience there is a high percentage of daft people in Britain more than capable of doing just that.
There are a few idiots around who seem to have had a common sense bypass. Like the idiot customer I had a few months back who thought it a good idea to pack hot chicken from the deli counter in the same bag as ice cream. I had to explain to him why that was not a wise thing to do, lol.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

In my store today there was plenty of fuel at the start of the day. But there were panic buying queues all day and by 8pm we had no diesel left. My own petrol car was 80% full, yet when I finished at 8pm, by which time most of the queueing had subsided, I thought it wise to pull in and top up whilst there was still fuel left. I heard from staff they risked running out by 10. The fact that I stopped to top up my tank because of the behaviour of every other idiot threatening to run the pumps dry just demonstrates how panic buying feeds off itself and encourages everyone else to join in to ensure they are not left high and dry. This is particularly so for keyworkers like me who rely on their cars to get to work. From now on, whenever I am finishing late enough for the queueing to have receded I will top my tank up. It is a wholly rational response in light of what everybody else is doing yet it makes people like me contributors to the problem. If I worked within walking distance I wouldn't worry but my workplace is a good 18 miles away, with minimal public transport.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 09:12:30 PM
Really? You don't say.
Don't most sane people store petrol in the house,preferably next to the boiler or  kitchen stove.
GMS

in my experience there is a high percentage of daft people in Britain more than capable of doing just that.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2021, 08:59:25 PM
But not inside the house.
Really? You don't say.
Don't most sane people store petrol in the house,preferably next to the boiler or  kitchen stove.
GMS
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 24, 2021, 08:57:32 PM
Health & Safety Executive allow 30 litres to be stored at home without permission or licence.

But not inside the house.