Gibraltar Brexit agreement on the Rock

Started by Barry, September 23, 2021, 09:20:47 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

How about the UK selling Gibraltar to Spain. That way it would be a win-win situation. Better still put Gibraltar up for auction, then Spain would be bidding against USA, Russia and China, which would mean more money for the UK taxpayer!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2021, 09:11:17 AM
And why would the EU want to change the current situation. Zero checks on goods from EU to UK due to the UK not being ready. Not enough customs officials, infrastructure or computer system.
You've been saying the EU has been using IRL since this started in 2016, but all thats happened is they have had our back. Meanwhile England ignored Scotlands wishes and it betrayed NI after Johnson gave a face to face guarantee to leaders in NI not long before shafting them.

You've a funny way of looking at things.
You don't live on Gibraltar you are in Dublin. ???
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Nah our resident WUM never saw vaccine shortages and gas won't be a problem will it Norway have stepped in to fill the Russian gap and make a killing and there'll be no shortage of submarines either will there? :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2021, 02:16:35 AM

The EU still playing with its sock puppet, until it agrees a proper deal with the U.K. and Ireland will be tossed aside like Woody.
And why would the EU want to change the current situation. Zero checks on goods from EU to UK due to the UK not being ready. Not enough customs officials, infrastructure or computer system.
You've been saying the EU has been using IRL since this started in 2016, but all thats happened is they have had our back. Meanwhile England ignored Scotlands wishes and it betrayed NI after Johnson gave a face to face guarantee to leaders in NI not long before shafting them.

You've a funny way of looking at things.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on September 25, 2021, 06:08:40 AM
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-tells-of-concerns-that-supply-chain-disruption-that-led-to-shortages-at-petrol-stations-and-supermarkets-in-the-uk-could-impact-ireland-40886049.html 

Except maybe in Ireland where Mickey Martin has said that due to thousands of European lorry drivers having left the industry, it could be 1845 all over again.  :)
Did you read the article, it talks of shortages in the UK and how the UK wasn't as prepared for brexit as IRL was. Hes concerned that it might get so bad over there that we could be affected by your mess.  He should be concerned.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2021, 02:06:00 AM
Well you hear wrong cause there are no food or fuel shortages.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-tells-of-concerns-that-supply-chain-disruption-that-led-to-shortages-at-petrol-stations-and-supermarkets-in-the-uk-could-impact-ireland-40886049.html 

Except maybe in Ireland where Mickey Martin has said that due to thousands of European lorry drivers having left the industry, it could be 1845 all over again.  :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 24, 2021, 08:15:34 PM
I suppose that depends on how the International community view the fairness of the agreement.

The EU still playing with its sock puppet, until it agrees a proper deal with the U.K. and Ireland will be tossed aside like Woody.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on September 24, 2021, 08:15:34 PM
I suppose that depends on how the International community view the fairness of the agreement.
I don't think the international community consider fairness when two parties enter an agreement freely.
The UK didn't have to agree the NI protocol, the withdrawal agreement, the future trade deal. It could have gone for a hard brexit, no deal. That would have caused problems, the GFA would have been still there. The international community will watch and see if the UK can keep to its agreements, if it can't then they will know the UK can't be trusted.

People here say they knew what they were voting for, is this it, this mess, this was what brexit was all about ?
I don't think so. But it can get better, deals can be renegoatiated  nothing stays the same. Unilateral decisions will only make things worse for the uk.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2021, 01:56:29 AMBut i do hear you have some shortages, food, fuel, that sort of thing.

Well you hear wrong cause there are no food or fuel shortages.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 06:06:54 PM
There's a story in today's torygraph behind a paywall hat the city has retained its crown as the money capital of Europe,I await Gerry telling us how it's all bad news though.

I posted that story weeks ago, can't remember how our resident Europhile responded.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2021, 05:04:04 PM
It will be a bit like when the Irish imposed that embargo on the beef after we left the EU and you said that the UK would starve to death.

Somehow we got by  :) :)
Stop with the nonsense. I was told on here that the uk wouldnt buy irish beef, then I was told the Irish had an embargo. Neither of those two things were ever reality, just brexiteer noise.
Then starve to death, only came from brexiteer mouths.
But i do hear you have some shortages, food, fuel, that sort of thing. How come other eu countries aren't seeing that.

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2021, 03:16:01 PM
So your idea of sovereignty is when the UK makes a agreement that months later it can walk away, do something totally different.

How does that work with the UK's international reputation and the ability to do future trade deals, in this scenario how can anyone trust the UK, anything they agree today can be gone tomorrow.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 07:08:29 PM
Nice one Borky,but I still maintain Gerry will pop up to say Dublin......or is it Lublin has taken all our banks

I don't doubt that for a moment Ollie. :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2021, 06:34:17 PM

City keeps European financial crown despite Brexit

Predictions of the Square Mile's decline after Britain left the European Union have failed to materialise
By Simon Foy 24 September 2021 • 9:00am

The City of London has maintained its crown as Europe's dominant financial hub as firms in the Square Mile adapt to Brexit.

London came second only to New York in the latest global financial centres index, which is published by Z/Yen Group, a financial think tank.

The City comfortably beat rival European centres, including Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, which came 10th, 14th and 17th, respectively.

The report said London's strong performance "reflects confidence in the longer-term prospects for the centre".

It comes despite repeated warnings from chief executives and politicians that Brexit would damage the Square Mile's reputation.

Z/Yen said: "The relatively strong performance of New York and London suggests that the financial services sectors in these cities managed to sustain their performance despite radical changes in working practices during the last 18 months."

The report highlights that the City has successfully navigated its way through the pandemic and Britain's withdrawal from the EU, relative to other financial centres.

UK financial service exports to the EU even rose in the first three months of the year despite warnings that and its ability to trade with the Continent would be hampered by Brexit.

A mass exodus of finance jobs out of London has failed to materialise post-Brexit, despite Xavier Rolet, the former boss of the London Stock Exchange, warning that as many as 232,000 could disappear. 

Michael Mainelli, executive chairman of Z/Yen, said: "We see two patterns in the results – confidence in the recovery of the North  American and Western European economies following the shock of 2020; and a levelling  off following the rapid rise of Asia/Pacific centres and their economic stability in the Covid-19 pandemic. Competition remains tight.

"Outside the top two centres, only five points on a 1,000 point scale separate the centres ranked third to eighth."
Nice one Borky,but I still maintain Gerry will pop up to say Dublin......or is it Lublin has taken all our banks
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?