Political Party Conferences, there appears to be no live continuous TV coverage.

Started by papasmurf, September 25, 2021, 01:14:28 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 25, 2021, 04:03:27 PM
Nothing obtuse about it, all that is needed is one camera pointed at the podium and no more than one reporter.
Now all that will happen is biased reporting of what happens at the conferences.
(That is anti-democratic.)
In which case the conference organisers can do just that and stream it live on the web,  if they wish.   
They went online in 2020. Can't see it's anti-democratic if they don't want to do that this time — there's still plenty of journalists of many political persuasions covering the conference.   
I suspect BBC continuous coverage has been dropped due to a noticeable lack of demand last year coupled with the need to save £80 million from news...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 25, 2021, 03:51:12 PM
Seems to me you've played the obtuse card for so long it's become fixed — though I don't see what stops you from understanding from the following that the BBC is axing its blanket coverage of party conferences for financial reasons...

Nothing obtuse about it, all that is needed is one camera pointed at the podium and no more than one reporter.
Now all that will happen is biased reporting of what happens at the conferences.
(That is anti-democratic.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 25, 2021, 02:56:51 PM
Sorry but that is of no help at all, there is no sign of the BBC providing the continuous live coverage of party conferences as it usually does on BBC Parliament  (Which is why  I asked the question as I had already searched.)
Seems to me you've played the obtuse card for so long it's become fixed — though I don't see what stops you from understanding from the following that the BBC is axing its blanket coverage of party conferences for financial reasons...

The BBC is to cut the number of journalists covering political party conferences as programme editors have been told to focus on "core news coverage only". Only the Today programme will continue to have its own studio during conference season, the Times has reported, while other shows including Newsnight and Daily Politics will no longer have dedicated sets. In previous years, the BBC has taken around 80 members of staff including journalists and technicians to cover the two major party conferences. This compares with three for ITV and eight for Channel 4. The move comes as the BBC is looking to trim £80m from its news budget by 2021. This is almost equivalent to axing radio station 5Live (budget £49.1m a year) and the BBC News Channel (budget £46.2m a year).
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 25, 2021, 02:30:06 PM
You usually give the impression of having your finger on the pulse of all things establishment, legal and military, so it seems strange you didn't search for an answer among news media professional/trade journals. Try this: 
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/bbc-will-provide-core-news-coverage-only-at-party-conferences-with-no-more-sets-for-newsnight-and-daily-politics/

Sorry but that is of no help at all, there is no sign of the BBC providing the continuous live coverage of party conferences as it usually does on BBC Parliament  (Which is why  I asked the question as I had already searched.)

Barry

There was no room in the venue for camera crew at the Lib Dem conference, as they met in a telephone kiosk.  ;D
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 25, 2021, 01:14:28 PM
This year there appears to be no live continuous TV coverage of political party conferences on TV.
Does anyone know why please.?
You usually give the impression of having your finger on the pulse of all things establishment, legal and military, so it seems strange you didn't search for an answer among news media professional/trade journals. Try this: 
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/bbc-will-provide-core-news-coverage-only-at-party-conferences-with-no-more-sets-for-newsnight-and-daily-politics/

T00ts

Perhaps it's because the media is constantly accused of broadcasting false news. They are waiting for the Conservative one.   Dancing Dancing

papasmurf

This year there appears to be no live continuous TV coverage of political party conferences on TV.
Does anyone know why please.?