The immediate cost of a Labour victory!

Started by Major Sinic, December 12, 2019, 08:12:16 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on February 14, 2022, 12:46:52 PM
Mod Notice

Just to point out that this thread is well over the 6 month guideline for resurrecting threads unless there is a definite in depth point to be made.
I was unaware of this so apologies for that.

However, I would say that the point I responded to which predicted the disaster that Boris would be as the price of getting Brexit done, is now a very relevent point two years on now that the disaster that is Boris Johnson has become apparent.

I would think that if any prediction from some time ago is either borne out or disproven by facts and evidence today, it is not unreasonable to respond to that prediction with the facts as they have turned out to be.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

The point worth making, I feel, is that the Majors observations may apply to England, but to the other components if the once United, but now utterly rent asunder Kingdom, rabid Marxist nutters abound in the Welsh Labour/ Cottage burner Arse lickers consurtium, the Scottish nutters and the Irish bobmers Get Together societies.....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Major Sinic on December 12, 2019, 08:12:16 AM
imported goods including food, clothes and medicines to spiral in cost.

They already are due to Brexit. Anyone who thinks Labour can get in with a working majority is living in cloud cuckoo "Wolfie Smith" land.  If anything it will be a coalition government.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on February 14, 2022, 12:24:55 PM
Indeed, and so it has proved. What a heavy price  our nation is paying for the Brexit obsession shared in by so many on this forum. Voting for Boris and his shower to fix Brexit is a bit like taking arsenic to make your cold feel better. Because the problems we have now as a result are far worse than EU membership ever was.

Cue a load of ranting bullshine by our resident Brexit obsessives......I'll  just sit back with a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show. lol
Mod Notice

Just to point out that this thread is well over the 6 month guideline for resurrecting threads unless there is a definite in depth point to be made.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2019, 08:33:57 AMThe danger is Boris and what would be a dangerous right wing government
Indeed, and so it has proved. What a heavy price  our nation is paying for the Brexit obsession shared in by so many on this forum. Voting for Boris and his shower to fix Brexit is a bit like taking arsenic to make your cold feel better. Because the problems we have now as a result are far worse than EU membership ever was. 

Cue a load of ranting bullshine by our resident Brexit obsessives......I'll  just sit back with a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show. lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Major Sinic

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=9444 time=1576172866 user_id=53
I don't think there are enough stupid people in this country to ever elect a Marxist  government . Labour will have to return to being a moderate party to ever have a chance of winning a GE .

:hattip

Surely the days of extremist Marxist policies from a Marxist party are soon to be a nightmare from the past. They can't all remain delusional forever, They must recognise that Brexit was but one factor in their massive defeat. Others were Corbyn himself, a refusal to listen to the electorate, anti-semitism, the collapse of democratic process within the Party, extremist and uncredible economic policies. I ran out of occasions last night when traditional Labour supporters said Corbyn, McDonnell and Momentum had to go or Labour would go into oblivion while the loyal loony lefties all bleated that it was only Brexit they had got wrong!

One problem with FPTP is that it is only ever effective with a working majority and with a strong and credible opposition. We have had neither or the last 42 months. The next problem is that when one party gets a proper working majority it backs away from much needed electoral reform; why should turkeys vote for Christmas.

One reform I would like to see as a matter of urgency is the repeal o the Fixed Term Parliament Act. It was only contrived by the fact that Clowns Cameron and Clegg didn't trust each other and within a few short years showed itself to be one of the most damaging items of electoral legislation ever created.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick post_id=9485 time=1576181710 user_id=73
We have historical data that tell us Labour are not good on economics. We don't have any data in Brexit as it's never happened.

But you are not going on historical data, you're going on "high corp tax will drive away business", "high income tax will drive away wealth creators" or "high borrowing will raise interest rates"

Similarly we do have data on what happens is you increase trade barriers (tariffs or otherwise).  Trade becomes more costly and growth is retarded.

Has the errection of trade barriers between the US and China increased or decreased economic activity?

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9478 time=1576180762 user_id=88
But the concerns about Brexit are widely expressed in the economic and investment media.....and we keep being told there is no way anyone can predict what will happen......

Yet here we are being told that a labour victory will mean XY&Z.

I don't disagree, but can you explain why you believe one set of predictions bit not another?

We have historical data that tell us Labour are not good on economics. We don't have any data in Brexit as it's never happened.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

I don't think there are enough stupid people in this country to ever elect a Marxist  government . Labour will have to return to being a moderate party to ever have a chance of winning a GE .

Are you sure about that? 😂

https://i1-wp-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w1200/s/i1.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/PRC_109472682.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=480%2C252&ssl=1">
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=9418 time=1576167995 user_id=84
I don't 'know', I am voicing concerns widely expressed in the economic and investment media and summarised in the Daily Telegraph, but you would need to subscribe and I suspect the Independent is more your sort of read.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/11/labour-victory-would-wipe-367bn-uk-shares-hit-millions-pension/">https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... s-pension/">https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/11/labour-victory-would-wipe-367bn-uk-shares-hit-millions-pension/

Your last lines are encouraging and I hope results in a modest overall majority for the Tories; not too large to encourage too much excess without accountability,  but enough to see Brexit done and to keep the Marxists out for at least five years.

But the concerns about Brexit are widely expressed in the economic and investment media.....and we keep being told there is no way anyone can predict what will happen......

Yet here we are being told that a labour victory will mean XY&Z.

I don't disagree, but can you explain why you believe one set of predictions bit not another?

Borchester

That should give Tony Blair something to do in his declining years.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Major Sinic

Quote from: Javert post_id=9343 time=1576152792 user_id=64
I guess my question would be, how do you know this?

When people predict bad economic consequences from Brexit, we are told it's all nonsense and project fear.

Why should I and others assume that what you write above is also project fear?

Also as others have pointed out, according to all the polls, a Labour majority is not going to happen.

In fact, even if it's a hung parliament, the Conservatives will be only just short of a majority, which will make it impossible for Labour to hold any kind of stable minority government so they would just have to make it about holding a second referendum on Brexit and then yet another GE if they were made the party of government.

I don't 'know', I am voicing concerns widely expressed in the economic and investment media and summarised in the Daily Telegraph, but you would need to subscribe and I suspect the Independent is more your sort of read.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/11/labour-victory-would-wipe-367bn-uk-shares-hit-millions-pension/">https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... s-pension/">https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/11/labour-victory-would-wipe-367bn-uk-shares-hit-millions-pension/

Your last lines are encouraging and I hope results in a modest overall majority for the Tories; not too large to encourage too much excess without accountability,  but enough to see Brexit done and to keep the Marxists out for at least five years.

Javert

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=9300 time=1576138336 user_id=84
It is estimated that the mere event of a Labour victory would wipe out approaching £400 billion of the value of the UK stock market within a few days. The pound will collapse resulting in imported goods including food, clothes and medicines to spiral in cost.

I guess my question would be, how do you know this?  

When people predict bad economic consequences from Brexit, we are told it's all nonsense and project fear.

Why should I and others assume that what you write above is also project fear?

Also as others have pointed out, according to all the polls, a Labour majority is not going to happen.

In fact, even if it's a hung parliament, the Conservatives will be only just short of a majority, which will make it impossible for Labour to hold any kind of stable minority government so they would just have to make it about holding a second referendum on Brexit and then yet another GE if they were made the party of government.