Gina's new political party

Started by T00ts, September 27, 2021, 11:07:37 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2021, 01:28:19 PM
I'm not sure who keeps electoral deposits but whoever it is will be toasting Gina and Friends

The treasury.

To be fair, the amounts collected are dwarfed by the costs these days ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on September 27, 2021, 11:07:37 AM
I haven't been able to read it all because I have been laughing so hard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10032517/Anti-Brexit-activist-Gina-Miller-start-True-Fair-political-party.html

Ok I have managed to get through it. Short on detail of course but backing from Hilary Benn suggests pro-EU and a sense of cashing in on Labour's demise. The name - True and Fair - is presumably only a working title as they say on stage and film since it hardly rolls of the tongue. I can just imagine the jokes echoing around the doorsteps as canvassers approach. Still good luck to her it all adds to the entertainment I guess.

The article explains the name arises from her campaign against financial jiggery-pokery.

Given who bankrolled her last time I feel a guffaw coming on ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Well, I could tell you all about her links with Tony Blair, but then what good would it do you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on September 27, 2021, 12:19:06 PM
That should split the Labour vote nicely.

I swear that lass is paid by Tory Central Office.

:D

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on September 27, 2021, 01:01:51 PM
Do you really believe that? No you have to be joking!

Yes, I was being facetious 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

∆∆∆
How do we know? True & Fair's not even part of the political scene (in almost any sense) yet...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on September 27, 2021, 02:03:41 PM
Reads like aggressive wishful thinking — Gina Miller's party might not even stand, but could operate as a pressure group...

It probably is ,aggressive wishful thinking that is but I think Im on a winner with that one .   Pressure group ? That only works if you have the backing of a lot of people , she doesn't .

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2021, 01:51:00 PM
Millers party will crash and burn
Reads like aggressive wishful thinking — Gina Miller's party might not even stand, but could operate as a pressure group...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

I can't see it getting far, I can't think of any whole-UK new parties that have lasted since the Liberal Democrats were formed, and even they are suffering from self-inflicted damage of 10 years ago.  Even UKIP only lasted just long enough to inflict serious damage on Britain (despite never having any proper elected MPs) then it faded away. Even it's odiously charismatic former leader has started two failed parties since he left.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on September 27, 2021, 01:38:39 PM

If Ms Miller's party loses as many deposits as Ukip, but still has as much effect, it could be regarded as influential...

Millers party will crash and burn 

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 27, 2021, 11:56:21 AM
I think it is very honourable to use the democratic system to change the face of politics, putting oneself up for election and getting a mandate from the electorate to forge ahead with changes.
However, this lady used the courts to attempt to change politics in her favour and 52% of the electorate won't forgive that.
Therefore her starting base is 48% of the electorate.
Good luck to her.

Going through the courts to get Boris Johnson's prorogation of Parliament declared unlawful seems a better way of doing things than blocking the highway and stopping ordinary people going about their lawful lives. 

If Ms Miller's party loses as many deposits as Ukip, but still has as much effect, it could be regarded as influential...

Streetwalker

I'm not sure who keeps electoral deposits but whoever it is will be toasting Gina and Friends

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on September 27, 2021, 12:31:48 PM
But she wasn't trying to block Brexit, she just wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

Do you really believe that? No you have to be joking!

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on September 27, 2021, 12:19:06 PM

But she wasn't trying to block Brexit, she just wanted to make sure it was done correctly.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on September 27, 2021, 11:07:37 AM
I haven't been able to read it all because I have been laughing so hard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10032517/Anti-Brexit-activist-Gina-Miller-start-True-Fair-political-party.html

Ok I have managed to get through it. Short on detail of course but backing from Hilary Benn suggests pro-EU and a sense of cashing in on Labour's demise. The name - True and Fair - is presumably only a working title as they say on stage and film since it hardly rolls of the tongue. I can just imagine the jokes echoing around the doorsteps as canvassers approach. Still good luck to her it all adds to the entertainment I guess.

Algerie Francais !