German Chancellor favourite says Brexit is to blame for HGV shortage

Started by Thomas, September 27, 2021, 07:57:38 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 02:55:50 PM
OMG, Brexit is worse than I thought, it's affecting French supermarkets now.

What is the date that picture was taken please?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

OMG, Brexit is worse than I thought, it's affecting French supermarkets now.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Re the original topic - there's no shortage of HGVs, only of people to drive them Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on September 28, 2021, 08:09:54 AM
Bit of a silly thing to say by olaf in my opinion. This constantly blaming brexit for stuff that has a multitude of factors contributing to it is likely to have people digging their heels in and having the opposite effect to what remainers want.

When you hear reports of dvla claiming there are thousands of unused HGV licences  , coupled with the oft reported claims of long hours and crap pay over the last twenty years or so , largely fuelled by transport companies flooding in cheap eu immigration to stifle wages and conditions , its quite clear the issue isnt leaving the EU .

On top of that , we have had what appears to be a deliberate hysterical leak from BP to the media , which has fuelled panic buying. There are the same amount of drivers this week as last week , and the week before. So its not as if on Friday all hgv drivers decided to down tools. Its a problem long in the making , and can be seen across many industries in terms of wage and conditions dropping compared to high cost of living.

We are just going over old ground though , and once again remainers are making a complete tit of themselves running around screaming brexit. No one is listening to them except their fellow remainers.

With the state of labour , i think its going to take a lot more than a few hysterical brexit headlines to get the uk back into the EU , or tied to EU rules for quite a while to come.

So expect more poisonous dripping sarcasm from bitter remainers for a wee while yet.....

Well put Thomas . Far from being the fault of Brexit labour shortages in some industries can be directly linked to the consequences of  our membership of the EU .

As Ive previously mentioned I had generally up to 2006 had an apprentice in tow . That all stopped as an unnecessary expense by the main contractors with the turning on the tap of cheap labour from Europe . That along with many brits leaving the industry due to the lowering of wages basically saw us hand a once thriving industry to foreign workers and later even foreign run companies where Brits were unwelcome .
The parallels in the Haulage industry are obvious , and they wonder why we voted leave .   

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on September 27, 2021, 08:07:29 PM
Is Brexit to blame for Poland being 124,000 drivers short?
https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-europe-wide-hgv-driver-shortage-so-why-do-uk-supply-chains-seem-more-disrupted-254524

Bit of a silly thing to say by olaf in my opinion. This constantly blaming brexit for stuff that has a multitude of factors contributing to it is likely to have people digging their heels in and having the opposite effect to what remainers want.

When you hear reports of dvla claiming there are thousands of unused HGV licences  , coupled with the oft reported claims of long hours and crap pay over the last twenty years or so , largely fuelled by transport companies flooding in cheap eu immigration to stifle wages and conditions , its quite clear the issue isnt leaving the EU .

On top of that , we have had what appears to be a deliberate hysterical leak from BP to the media , which has fuelled panic buying. There are the same amount of drivers this week as last week , and the week before. So its not as if on Friday all hgv drivers decided to down tools. Its a problem long in the making , and can be seen across many industries in terms of wage and conditions dropping compared to high cost of living.

We are just going over old ground though , and once again remainers are making a complete tit of themselves running around screaming brexit. No one is listening to them except their fellow remainers.

With the state of labour , i think its going to take a lot more than a few hysterical brexit headlines to get the uk back into the EU , or tied to EU rules for quite a while to come.

So expect more poisonous dripping sarcasm from bitter remainers for a wee while yet.....
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

There's no shortage of qualified drivers, according to latest thinking — it's just that they're not in their cabs where they're wanted and driving...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

QuoteGerman Chancellor favourite says Brexit is to blame for HGV shortage

'We worked very hard to convince the UK not to leave'

The favourite to succeed Angela Merkel as German chancellor has suggested Britain's shortage of lorry drivers is a result of Brexit.

Olaf Scholz, the leader of the centre-left Social Democrats, said that ending free movement of labour with the EU had created a "problem" for the UK.

"The free movement of labour is part of the European Union," he told reporters following Germany's inconclusive elections.

"We worked very hard to convince the British not to leave the union.

"Now they decided different and I hope they will manage the problems coming from that.

"I think it's constantly an important idea for all of us to make it happen that there will be good relations between the EU and the UK.

"But this is a problem to be solved."

His comments came after British ministers appealed to motorists to end the "panic-buying" of petrol after fears a shortage of tanker drivers could hit supplies led many filling stations to run dry.

In an attempt to alleviate the crisis Boris Johnson announced at the weekend plans to issue 5,000 three-month visas for foreign drivers to work in the UK, despite ministers having previously said they want firms to train and employ more British staff.

However Mr Scholz, who is the current finance minister and vice chancellor, suggested the British may also need to look at levels of pay and conditions of employment in the industry if they want to attract more workers.

"It might have something to do with the question of wages," he said.

"If you understand that being a trucker is really something which many people like to be and you don't find enough, this has something to do with working conditions and this is something that has to be thought about

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/german-chancellor-favourite-says-brexit-is-to-blame-for-hgv-shortage/133183

You naughty englanders! :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!