German Chancellor favourite says Brexit is to blame for HGV shortage

Started by Thomas, September 27, 2021, 07:57:38 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 07:49:13 PMFrance will attend to their problems as the UK will there's. It's when these two things overlap, so the UK crowing about a security deal and Johnson telling Macron to "get a grip", with rising energy costs and the possibility of supply issues, why would France sell electricity to the UK, is it a great honour for the French to be allowed to sell to the UK ? or would you think that the French will attend to matters at home.
Because EDF are heavily invested into UK energy, are up to their necks in debt. If we cancel Hinckley Point in retaliation, EDF will collapse under the debt.
Have a nice day, Emmanuel tantrum Macron.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2021, 04:29:22 PM
Some might call this diplomatic pressure, but others might call it bullying at least or blackmail at the worst to disrupt the power supplies in any nation.
I'd call it immoral and blackmail.
Let me just put another view on that:

Some might call this diplomatic pressure, but others might call it bullying at least or blackmail at the worst to not comply with obligations with trading partners or openly state an agreement must be broken (NI protocol) with any nation.

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2021, 04:29:22 PMHow about France sort out their own problems, such as the weekly protests in Paris against Macron and his Covid passport tyranny.

No shortages of food in the South East. No shortage of anything, personally speaking.
We do have a glut of illegal immigrants, which won't be driving lorries.
France will attend to their problems as the UK will there's. It's when these two things overlap, so the UK crowing about a security deal and Johnson telling Macron to "get a grip", with rising energy costs and the possibility of supply issues, why would France sell electricity to the UK, is it a great honour for the French to be allowed to sell to the UK ? or would you think that the French will attend to matters at home.

Nobody is talking of disrupting supplies, well Priti Patel did, when she suggested that the UK should use brexit to force IRL to change its opinion on brexit. If the UK are going to let Johnson and his merry band of idiots go about making crass statements then you reap what you sow. It's not how to make friends.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on October 05, 2021, 04:19:27 PM
To that in bold, no but bacon or sausage might.

Trade deals we've done have no bearing on energy prices,but the eu will pay more because of Vlad.
So you don't think the rising cost of distribution (HGV, containers, fuel, shipping) or energy costs (cooling systems etc) won't have an affect on selling into Japan or Australia over trading with say France or Ireland.
At the moment the UK is paying more than EU countries, why is that ?

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 03:50:09 PMFrance is pushing other EU countries to restrict electricity sales to the UK from it's nuclear power plants if the UK continues to flaunt it's brexit obligations and agreements. This may get traction if other EU countries find energy prices rising, not out of malice but out of domestic demands.
Some might call this diplomatic pressure, but others might call it bullying at least or blackmail at the worst to disrupt the power supplies in any nation.

How about France sort out their own problems, such as the weekly protests in Paris against Macron and his Covid passport tyranny.

No shortages of food in the South East. No shortage of anything, personally speaking.
We do have a glut of illegal immigrants, which won't be driving lorries.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 03:50:09 PM
Yes energy prices are rising, distribution costs are rising, most countries are faced with this problem.
The UK decided to leave free trading relations with it's closest neighbours in exchange for new deals with countries on the other side of the planet. Do you think distribution and energy costs will play a roll in this strategy ?
The UK's energy costs are now the most expensive in Europe, being outside the EU won't help. France is pushing other EU countries to restrict electricity sales to the UK from it's nuclear power plants if the UK continues to flaunt it's brexit obligations and agreements. This may get traction if other EU countries find energy prices rising, not out of malice but out of domestic demands. I think France is still upset over the sub contract, time will tell how this pan's out.
https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/091321-factbox-uk-electricity-prices-now-most-expensive-in-europe
To that in bold, no but bacon or sausage might.

Trade deals we've done have no bearing on energy prices,but the eu will pay more because of Vlad.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on October 05, 2021, 03:33:25 PM
So energy bills wont go up in the eu only the UK?
https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/04/europe-divided-over-response-to-soaring-unbearable-energy-prices
Yeah but now we have upset Macron because we won't hand over our local fishing eco systems so the French can hoover it all up. Boris did try but there was a bit of an uproar and he would be hungry and homeless pretty quick if he did.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on October 05, 2021, 03:33:25 PM
https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/04/europe-divided-over-response-to-soaring-unbearable-energy-prices
Yes energy prices are rising, distribution costs are rising, most countries are faced with this problem.
The UK decided to leave free trading relations with it's closest neighbours in exchange for new deals with countries on the other side of the planet. Do you think distribution and energy costs will play a roll in this strategy ?
The UK's energy costs are now the most expensive in Europe, being outside the EU won't help. France is pushing other EU countries to restrict electricity sales to the UK from it's nuclear power plants if the UK continues to flaunt it's brexit obligations and agreements. This may get traction if other EU countries find energy prices rising, not out of malice but out of domestic demands. I think France is still upset over the sub contract, time will tell how this pan's out.
https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/091321-factbox-uk-electricity-prices-now-most-expensive-in-europe

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 03:22:24 PM
I did read it

In the meantime, Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week.

The UK has covid, distribution and brexit issues. Most other countries have covid and distribution issues. Most countries don't have fuel or food shortages, most countries haven't deployed their army to help with the issues.
Tell me, how come NI doesn't have issues with CO2, food shortages, fuel shortages. Is that because the Northern Ireland Protocol isn't fit for purpose and isn't working.

How many EU HGV drives have applied for the sought after temporary visa's, the last I heard it was 17, does that help with the 100,000 needed ?
My Sister in Scotland has said there are shortages, prob not as bad as reported with empty shelves, but it's hitting more than just the SE, give it time, brexit only happened January this year.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2021, 02:55:14 PM
Did you read it? Clearly not.

There are currently 5,000 job openings for lorry drivers in Belgium, which needed to be filled urgently to keep the shop shelves filled, says Febetra, the federation of Belgian transport and logistics service providers.

We have fuel and stocked shelves also, just the SE gone mad.

I did read it

In the meantime, Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week.

The UK has covid, distribution and brexit issues. Most other countries have covid and distribution issues. Most countries don't have fuel or food shortages, most countries haven't deployed their army to help with the issues.
Tell me, how come NI doesn't have issues with CO2, food shortages, fuel shortages. Is that because the Northern Ireland Protocol isn't fit for purpose and isn't working.

How many EU HGV drives have applied for the sought after temporary visa's, the last I heard it was 17, does that help with the 100,000 needed ?
My Sister in Scotland has said there are shortages, prob not as bad as reported with empty shelves, but it's hitting more than just the SE, give it time, brexit only happened January this year.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on October 04, 2021, 09:03:04 AM
Did you bother reading the link.
It talks of a driver strike.
Fully stocked shelves and petrol stations here in IRL if you want to pop over, we could help you lot out.
Why don't you help out Belgium instead? it beats trying to scare the old folks.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 04, 2021, 09:03:04 AM
Fully stocked shelves and petrol stations here in IRL if you want to pop over, we could help you lot out.

Did you read it? Clearly not.

There are currently 5,000 job openings for lorry drivers in Belgium, which needed to be filled urgently to keep the shop shelves filled, says Febetra, the federation of Belgian transport and logistics service providers.

We have fuel and stocked shelves also, just the SE gone mad.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 06:32:14 PM
It doesn't matter, the message is the same.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 06:22:45 PM
The picture you referenced first is for a Carrefour in Brussels not France.

It doesn't matter, the message is the same.

Nick