Main Menu

Stick it.

Started by Nick, September 29, 2021, 03:47:46 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2021, 03:47:46 PM
Apparently GB stickers are now no longer valid.
Valid for what? Did they actually ever do anything, not that I'm aware of.

Ok

Back in the mists of time, the GB sticker was a legally required mechanism of identification of the country of registration. When you booked a ferry ticket you got a piece of  paper telling you the French would bust you outside Calais if you did not have one, and did not also have yellow prism light diffusers that basically moved your main beams.

This eventually allowed number plates wih a GB inside a EU ring of stars.

To ensure the drivers of Britain are fucked by France, there has been a change of decal. You must now call yourself a UK not GB registered vehicle, to exclude Irish Republic ones

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on September 29, 2021, 08:27:44 PM
Don't number plates have a legal size? I didn't think you could mess with them.
As long as you still have left the minimum 11-13mm side margin, it is OK. However, it is likely to damage the integrity of the plate and allow water in, so tape up the end.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/955014/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates-inf104.pdf
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 29, 2021, 08:05:09 PM
I'll just cut the end of the plate off with a hacksaw.

Don't number plates have a legal size? I didn't think you could mess with them.

Barry

Quote from: patman post on September 29, 2021, 05:51:23 PM
Official vehicle country identifiers are only needed when travelling abroad. You can buy stickers to put over the EU/GB motif on number plates (for less than a fiver on Amazon) if they offend you so much. Otherwise a normal oval UK sticker will do...
I'll just cut the end of the plate off with a hacksaw.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on September 29, 2021, 05:32:17 PM
Isn't the replacement a UK sticker? 0It is only for travel abroad isn't it? What is the difference? What about the awful number plates with the EU  stars at one end? I keep thinking about changing mine but haven't got around to it yet. I have always hated them.

Never used a gb/uk sticker in all my years driving in europe.

Imagine changing from the gb sticker to uk to placate northern irish unionists after selling them down the river to the EU  :D

If thats true , im sure that will do it. I mean flags and stickers have always worked for the union in ireland and scotland havent they? :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

Isn't the replacement a UK sticker? 0It is only for travel abroad isn't it? What is the difference? What about the awful number plates with the EU  stars at one end? I keep thinking about changing mine but haven't got around to it yet. I have always hated them.
Official vehicle country identifiers are only needed when travelling abroad. You can buy stickers to put over the EU/GB motif on number plates (for less than a fiver on Amazon) if they offend you so much. Otherwise a normal oval UK sticker will do...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

In January the Government changed the rules so that any vehicle with a number plate featuring the GB identifier union jack and did not need to display a separate GB sticker.   

At the time Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) tweeted: "Brits will be able to drive on the Continent without GB stickers thanks to new reg plate with union flag and GB".

The stupidity is that the change has been made at the British government's own instigation — supposedly to allow any Northern Irish motorists who drive abroad to now feel part of the United Kingdom, since Brexit appeared to relegate them to the status of a lesser territory. 

Isn't anybody in control of any government department and coordinating things under this present administration...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

It's for abroad but I'm not sure what the invalid means. Not required makes more sense to me.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2021, 03:47:46 PM

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.