Labour now says it would reopen Brexit talks if in power

Started by Thomas, September 29, 2021, 07:11:41 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: HDQQ on October 21, 2021, 10:15:39 AM
I can't see any point in reopening overall Brexit talks since we've now left the EU. But if Labour includes 'supporting the idea of rejoining the EU' in their manifesto, then if they win that would be a vote for starting the ball rolling. But I do believe we'd need another referendum before actually rejoining - or even two referendums. I suppose if Labour said they'd definitely apply to rejoin the EU and then won a landslide election, that would be good enough on its own, but it's an unlikely scenario.

A report today in the Guardian finds that Brexiters and Remainers are as entrenched in their views as ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/21/british-leavers-and-remainers-as-polarised-as-ever-survey-finds

As a remainer I have seen nothing as yet that would even start to make me think Brexit was a good idea.

I guess Brexiters can still keep blaming the EU for all the the UK's self-inflicted wounds.
I don't think re-joining is an option. The UK would loose the rebate, Stg would go and the UK would have to use the Euro, all the opt outs the UK had would go. The UK might need to join the Schengen area, loose the opt-outs on fundamental rights etc etc...
Is it that Labour would look to build on the current agreement to remove barriers to trade. There is no reason why the current Govt couldn't do that but their fairy-tail belief system would most likely prevent them.

HDQQ

I can't see any point in reopening overall Brexit talks since we've now left the EU. But if Labour includes 'supporting the idea of rejoining the EU' in their manifesto, then if they win that would be a vote for starting the ball rolling. But I do believe we'd need another referendum before actually rejoining - or even two referendums. I suppose if Labour said they'd definitely apply to rejoin the EU and then won a landslide election, that would be good enough on its own, but it's an unlikely scenario.

A report today in the Guardian finds that Brexiters and Remainers are as entrenched in their views as ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/21/british-leavers-and-remainers-as-polarised-as-ever-survey-finds

As a remainer I have seen nothing as yet that would even start to make me think Brexit was a good idea.

I guess Brexiters can still keep blaming the EU for all the the UK's self-inflicted wounds.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 29, 2021, 07:37:58 PMDont fancy their chances.
You won't be popping down to Ladbrokes with a fistful of Scottish fivers then, we have Labour trying to out Tory the Tories and the Tories trying to out Populist the populists, while all of them in the background trying to run the place into the ground via Westminster like they have done for decades. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on September 29, 2021, 07:20:41 PM
I reckon they are hilarious, first they said it was Corbyn who nearly brought them down who just happened to have given them more members than they had seen for decades, then it was all the fault of the Left, as well as the Tories, then it was the unions, I am thinking everyone was moaning they were nothing more than a cult anyway. At the end of the day, like I asked but couldn't get an answer, where are the votes coming from. We all know what they have been at behind the scenes anyway.

i said it in 2019 , but whatever anyone of us thought of corbyn and the labour left , keirs starmers fingerprints were all over the labour parties disasterous "brexit" strategy in that election that led to them getting a severe kicking in the english north especially.

We saw it again in the by election in hartlepool where yet again , starmer  , unperturbed by the kicking he got in 2019 , tried to put saudi paul the arch remainer in a staunch leave seat with fecking predictable results a child could have told you what would happen.

Just as in scotland,where  labour alienated themselves from the 45 % + who voted indy in 2014 , and were left fighting it out with the tories and liberals for the scot unionist vote , so labour will be doing the same in england next election , fighting it out with the liberals/greens for the 46% remain vote in england.

Dont fancy their chances.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 29, 2021, 07:11:41 PM

A Labour government would "fix" Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, a member of Keir Starmer's shadow cabinet has said – raising the prospect of more talks with the EU.

The announcement, which came hours before Sir Keir's speech to Labour conference in Brighton, represents a change in approach from the party and is the first time the new leadership has suggested there could be more negotiations.

Sir Keir said emphatically in January that there was "no case" for renegotiating the accord struck between Mr Johnson and the EU – in an effort to put the Brexit issue to bed.

But speaking to the BBC on Wednesday morning, shadow justice secretary David Lammy blamed the agreement for economic problems hitting the UK and said Labour would have to "fix" it in government.

:D

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-talks-could-reopen-labour-080207803.html
I reckon they are hilarious, first they said it was Corbyn who nearly brought them down who just happened to have given them more members than they had seen for decades, then it was all the fault of the Left, as well as the Tories, then it was the unions, I am thinking everyone was moaning they were nothing more than a cult anyway. At the end of the day, like I asked but couldn't get an answer, where are the votes coming from. We all know what they have been at behind the scenes anyway.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Labour is tiptoeing back to the idea of renegotiating Brexit – will this saga never end?

There's a lot still to argue about then, and, whatever else it proves, it shows that Brexit didn't get "done" and the famous Johnson oven-ready deal was a bit half-baked. The bad news is that the tiresome (albeit vital) arguments about Brexit aren't going to go away. The even worse news is that they will mostly serve to entrench both sides in their belief that the country has been betrayed (workers by the Tories or by the EU), and the culture wars about Brexit will just drag and drag on.

Imagine what renegotiating Brexit might mean. Rejoining the single market and/or the EU customs union would mean more EU migration, tearing up trade deals with the likes of Australia that have been signed, and reversing whatever new laws and rules we've made up for ourselves.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/labour-tiptoeing-back-idea-renegotiating-145144941.html

You really have to laugh at labour. I owuld have more respect for them if they came out like daft jo swinson did and told the honest truth , they are going to take the uk back into the EU.

This trying to play both sides of the field till they get your vote then do as they please is fooling no one. We all know where labour stand.

The attempted duplicity will destroy them  , and is making them even more untrustworthy to voters than ever before.

Thomas

A Labour government would "fix" Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, a member of Keir Starmer's shadow cabinet has said – raising the prospect of more talks with the EU.

The announcement, which came hours before Sir Keir's speech to Labour conference in Brighton, represents a change in approach from the party and is the first time the new leadership has suggested there could be more negotiations.

Sir Keir said emphatically in January that there was "no case" for renegotiating the accord struck between Mr Johnson and the EU – in an effort to put the Brexit issue to bed.

But speaking to the BBC on Wednesday morning, shadow justice secretary David Lammy blamed the agreement for economic problems hitting the UK and said Labour would have to "fix" it in government.

:D

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-talks-could-reopen-labour-080207803.html