Main Menu

Whole life term

Started by cromwell, September 30, 2021, 01:59:34 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 30, 2021, 06:24:37 PMbut if you're happy killing innocents!

He isn't innocent as he has apparently spoken of specifics.
I have 3 girls of my own, and if it was one of them I would happy dispatch him, my heart rate wouldn't increase a single beat.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Maybe 2021 will be the last year he sees. I would not be sad.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 30, 2021, 05:36:12 PMseparated from the rest of the prison population,

My guess is there will be a terrible mixup and he will accidentally be left open to attack. Terrible shame I say.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 30, 2021, 08:53:26 PM
Just saw this on Twitter. It's likely to be skewed due to GB News being to the right of centre.
Understatement of the year, lol.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

^^^.

Likely to be very Right so as to be nowhere near centre. 

For a while after Parliament abolished capital punishment, opinion polls showed that the majority of public would have liked it reinstated.

Various MPs have tried to get debates on its reintroduction, but for some time now the general feeling has been not to return to the grisly business of judicial killings. However, when a particular nasty murder hits the headlines, like now, there's sharp increase in calls for the death penalty. 

I'm against the death penalty. I'm also against mercy killing. Having stated that, if someone chooses to end their own life, and can do so themselves and cannot be persuaded otherwise, I believe that's their choice.   

Similarly, should a prisoner convicted of a serious crime opt to volunteer for medical testing, in which they could be useful — or if someone imprisoned for many years wants to end their own life, I believe there should be a debate both cases as to whether they could be allowed...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Just saw this on Twitter. It's likely to be skewed due to GB News being to the right of centre.

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 30, 2021, 06:06:19 PM
Well said Nick.Wasn't one of the main points of leaving to bring back the death penalty and leave the EUCHR?

No.

From the very start I pointed out not just on here, but also in places where it actually matters, that the EU and the ECHR are fundamentally different organisations despite the weasel words of the European Union and machinations to confuse.

The EHCR derives its existence from a body called the Council of Europe, whose precursor was mocked in the opening of "The Third Man" and rather predates the 1957 Treaty of Rome and it's inception as a concept by about a decade. And the UK was part of it.

The European Union created a phoney outfit called the European Council, which in French even sounds like the name of the organisation they seek to pretend to be.

And the problem has been made worse by Tony Blair who abused Prime Ministerial Perogative to put capital punishment beyond use without first indulging in a LOT of tedious detail - like leaving the Council of Europe and being declared a rogue state......

All of which is something I'd be pleased to do

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 30, 2021, 07:07:30 PM
They seem to have ignored several reports of his odd behaviour (to put it politely). One as recently as a few weeks before his crime. If he hadn't done it before he must have been working up to it over some time.
It is in fact a well established fact of criminology that most murderous sex offenders start out with lesser offending behaviour - like indecent exposure for example. These are red flags that need to be taken seriously but appear not to have been in his case, purely because he was seen as a colleague. Which itself begs the question of how reliable it is for the police themselves to investigate each other.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 07:00:35 PM
Oh no. Horrific to think he might have done this to other women before.

The police are right to check this out. It will not bring any victims back but it will bring closure to loved ones who have had someone close go missing. And the full horror of his crimes should be brought to light if there are other victims. There is the frightening prospect that he just might be a serial killer who has gotten away with it until now. Much as I feel the same angry sadness as we all do for the fate of Sarah Everard, and for the anguish of those who knew her and loved her, I do so hope that she is the only victim and that there are not others.

A slight digression but on the wider point I really do think vetting procedures for candidates into the police force need to be looked at and toughened up in some way. Police have the power to arrest and detain, and it is indeed a criminal offence to resist this in any way. So it is vital that we can rely on police officers not to abuse such powers in any way, let alone to the depths of depravity of this guy. We need to be able to trust them.

I am not engaging in police bashing. I do believe that a large majority of them are decent people trying to do a decent job, people who would risk their own lives to protect the public. But although this guy is an extreme example, I fear he is not alone in being unsuited for such responsibility. Weeding bad apples out should be a higher priority right now, as should be ensuring that fewer of them get into the police in the first place.

They seem to have ignored several reports of his odd behaviour (to put it politely). One as recently as a few weeks before his crime. If he hadn't done it before he must have been working up to it over some time.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 30, 2021, 06:43:56 PM
I read somewhere today that the police think that he was so skilled in what he did that he may have done it before. They are apparently checking past cases.
Oh no. Horrific to think he might have done this to other women before.

The police are right to check this out. It will not bring any victims back but it will bring closure to loved ones who have had someone close go missing. And the full horror of his crimes should be brought to light if there are other victims. There is the frightening prospect that he just might be a serial killer who has gotten away with it until now. Much as I feel the same angry sadness as we all do for the fate of Sarah Everard, and for the anguish of those who knew her and loved her, I do so hope that she is the only victim and that there are not others.

A slight digression but on the wider point I really do think vetting procedures for candidates into the police force need to be looked at and toughened up in some way. Police have the power to arrest and detain, and it is indeed a criminal offence to resist this in any way. So it is vital that we can rely on police officers not to abuse such powers in any way, let alone to the depths of depravity of this guy. We need to be able to trust them.

I am not engaging in police bashing. I do believe that a large majority of them are decent people trying to do a decent job, people who would risk their own lives to protect the public. But although this guy is an extreme example, I fear he is not alone in being unsuited for such responsibility. Weeding bad apples out should be a higher priority right now, as should be ensuring that fewer of them get into the police in the first place.

T00ts

I read somewhere today that the police think that he was so skilled in what he did that he may have done it before. They are apparently checking past cases.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 30, 2021, 06:32:20 PM
Those in favour of death penalties often seem compelled by an emotive desire for revenge. This need  is so compelling to them  that they are prepared to accept the occasional innocent person being put to death as collateral damage. Or else they deny that is is even possible today.

What they are often doing is emoting more than thinking and trying to come up with convincing arguments to justify that.
There is a reliance on dna,whilst it is good it's not infallible despite popular belief.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 30, 2021, 06:24:37 PM
Well I doubt he's innocent but admittance when innocent is not unknown but if you're happy killing innocents!
There are IMO other reasons to not have the death penalty.
Those in favour of death penalties often seem compelled by an emotive desire for revenge. This need  is so compelling to them  that they are prepared to accept the occasional innocent person being put to death as collateral damage. Or else they deny that is is even possible today.

What they are often doing is emoting more than thinking and trying to come up with convincing arguments to justify that.

T00ts

The thing that I have found most offensive has been the pictures etc of what happened. The ones of her with him in the street and in the car were the worst. We have no need to see this stuff and what about her family? They don't need it either.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2021, 04:54:25 PM
Highly doubtful seeing as he's admitted it.
Well I doubt he's innocent but admittance when innocent is not unknown but if you're happy killing innocents!
There are IMO other reasons to not have the death penalty.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?