Scrap everything and start again

Started by T00ts, October 01, 2021, 10:10:34 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

As one of the people who used to put systems together, I would have said this

Yesterday Boris Johnson handed the Hindooja Brothers yet another massive IT contract. It will be botched, like all the others.

I was working in British Telecom as a freelancer when this pair paid a bung into the labour party coffers and got the ear of Tony Blair. Shortly afterwards they start d getting IT contracts such as the one I was on at BT.

They had a dodgy deal with one of the senior managers whereby they, and another software house, filled portacabins with Indian staff from their Indian IT centres without any permissions to send them here at all.

The same outfit took the Barclays Information Centre work off Bristsh passport holding IT guys (predominantly Indian, who arrived here as kids when Idi threw their parents out of Uganda, laughably)

The difference is the Birmingham IT guys of Indian ethnicity knew what a mortgage was, because most had one. The tossers in the Hindooja Brothers centres literally had no idea

The same was the case with the Ladbrokes betting tills. Ladbrokes handed the job to a bunch of Indians in 2004. They had to be ready for the 2006 world cup. They were not

Ladbrokes' supplier of hardware in the UK hired me and three others to sort the mess out. The arseholes had no idea what to do. I fixed one system, literally showed six of the Indians shipped in to the UK to fix it what they had missed, and they were incapable of fixing the other two systems they'd broken in the same way

Ladbrokes' hardware procurement extended my contract and I say in on the interviews for three others.

We fixed the systems totally in two months.

And we were paid £220,000 for it

EACH

In short Toots, I would tell your daughter this country is a lost cause and she should take a long hard look around. Because the work is allocated on the basis of backhanders and strange handshakes and subsequent incompetence is seen as an opportunity to get more money to fix it rather than the lawsuit and public humiliation they deserve

I have told my grand daughter the same. She is expecting to make a career in the performing arts so it may be different for her. She also has the race card going FOR her of course....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Sheepy on October 01, 2021, 01:57:23 PM
I don't think the thread was about your need to mention Brexit and nasty people 10 times a day ducky, I also am in doubt it would be helpful for toot's daughter in any way whatsoever, when all you are trying to do is make your own prejudices stand out. I would say, her daughter has some medical problems which she is stressing about taking so long to sort out and feels the NHS has failed her, which has compounded the other stress she feels she is inflicted with, maybe start there. Running around like a headless chicken doesn't get the cure.
Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2021, 02:29:06 PM
LOL the very last way she could be described is a headless chicken. It was a very calm interesting discussion.  I think she is really disappointed by what she sees as chaos all around.
I never said she was, I was talking to Ducky, if he wants to be treated like an adult maybe he should start acting like one, maybe he will be along with his view on how he can help you with what he actually feels you could say to your daughter. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on October 01, 2021, 01:57:23 PM
I don't think the thread was about your need to mention Brexit and nasty people 10 times a day ducky, I also am in doubt it would be helpful for toot's daughter in any way whatsoever, when all you are trying to do is make your own prejudices stand out. I would say, her daughter has some medical problems which she is stressing about taking so long to sort out and feels the NHS has failed her, which has compounded the other stress she feels she is inflicted with, maybe start there. Running around like a headless chicken doesn't get the cure.
LOL the very last way she could be described is a headless chicken. It was a very calm interesting discussion.  I think she is really disappointed by what she sees as chaos all around.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on October 01, 2021, 01:47:58 PM
A lot of us no longer have confidence in our country, but it's still our country. Brexit and the deliberate politicisation of covid have empowered nasty people and also turned some nice people into nasty ones.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2021, 10:10:34 AM
I enjoyed a long discussion with one of my daughters yesterday. She has been battling the NHS for almost 2 years and has finally resorted to private consultations to get things moving. Admittedly Covid has created a situation where Doctors have fobbed her off repeatedly but yesterday she felt she had reached breaking point.

She made the comment that she no longer has confidence in this country but couldn't really think of anywhere she would rather live. She likened it to the company she works for and felt it demonstrated what is so wrong here. If the IT breaks down or systems fail they attempt to repair it rather than scrap it go back to the beginning and start afresh, and she feels it is something we have done repeatedly on a National scale. In her view problems are being compounded by this rather than solved.

She couldn't understand why when we are credited with clever people in this country we are constantly botching things. She quoted the NHS systems which are so inadequate that it took several phone calls for them to admit that they couldn't change an appointment because the system wouldn't allow it. She quoted the police situation, lorry drivers, fuel and food deliveries, lack of planning in all areas of British life and a total lack of common sense in politicians. Her comment of why would an MP with no experience/relevant qualifications be put in charge of things like the NHS, education, etc etc. Her comment being that you would never employ someone with no experience to head up a large company. Incompetence infuriates her.

It was a long conversation, she had a point, what would you have said to her?

A lot of us no longer have confidence in our country, but it's still our country. Brexit and the deliberate politicisation of covid have empowered nasty people and also turned some nice people into nasty ones.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

I enjoyed a long discussion with one of my daughters yesterday. She has been battling the NHS for almost 2 years and has finally resorted to private consultations to get things moving. Admittedly Covid has created a situation where Doctors have fobbed her off repeatedly but yesterday she felt she had reached breaking point.

She made the comment that she no longer has confidence in this country but couldn't really think of anywhere she would rather live. She likened it to the company she works for and felt it demonstrated what is so wrong here. If the IT breaks down or systems fail they attempt to repair it rather than scrap it go back to the beginning and start afresh, and she feels it is something we have done repeatedly on a National scale. In her view problems are being compounded by this rather than solved.

She couldn't understand why when we are credited with clever people in this country we are constantly botching things. She quoted the NHS systems which are so inadequate that it took several phone calls for them to admit that they couldn't change an appointment because the system wouldn't allow it. She quoted the police situation, lorry drivers, fuel and food deliveries, lack of planning in all areas of British life and a total lack of common sense in politicians. Her comment of why would an MP with no experience/relevant qualifications be put in charge of things like the NHS, education, etc etc. Her comment being that you would never employ someone with no experience to head up a large company. Incompetence infuriates her.

It was a long conversation, she had a point, what would you have said to her?