Main Menu

The Irish are catching on

Started by Streetwalker, October 02, 2021, 07:10:53 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 06, 2021, 07:55:08 AM
Lord Frost lays out Article 16 timetable as UK finally loses patience with EU on Brexit
LORD FROST is preparing to trigger Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol as soon as next month, warning the EU "we cannot wait forever".

Speaking at the Conservative party conference in Manchester, the Brexit minister said the problems caused by the Protocol were having a devastating impact on Northern Ireland. In a speech aimed as much at the EU as those Tory members in the room, he warned Brussels that "tinkering at the edges" will not fix the frictions caused by the Protocol.

He demanded the EU be more "ambitious" in attempts to find a solution.

But in a warning to Brussels, he said a solution would need to be found quickly in order to avoid the UK triggering the legal mechanism to suspend the Protocol's implementation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1500523/lord-frost-brexit-update-trigger-article-16-timetable-northern-ireland-protocol
Would this be the same NI protocol that Johnson hailed as a fantastic deal. One that the UK spent 5 yrs negotiating and now they say, just 9 months in, that its "devastating". How is it devastating. NI has no food shortages, no army deployed, no fuel shortages, no CO2 shortages. I think what's devastating to lord frosty is the comparison that can be drawn between NI and GB, one that people will start to ask why one part of the UK isn't experiencing the same as the rest of the UK.
The only other people devastated are the DUP, a shrinking group of people in the minority in NI. How come their the vastly dominant voice the BBC listen to. A group that would sink NI economy in an effort to break all ties with the island of Ireland.
NI has a fantastic position, one foot in the UK another in the EU, this could be greatly exploited if the DUP had any sense.

As for triggering Art16, Johnson has blustered many times but has yet to follow through

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 06, 2021, 07:42:49 AM
Europe's energy crisis:

Natural gas prices have surged in Europe as countries exit COVID-19 lockdown, fuelling a crisis that is likely to impact consumers' bills this winter.

The cost is now six times higher than what it was last year in Europe and is continuing to increase, with the crisis unlikely to abate before the spring.

Governments are scrambling to issue subsidies and cut taxes in an effort to protect consumers.

Here are five charts to help you visualise what's going on.

Natural gas imports

The EU is heavily reliant on natural gas imports that come from outside the bloc, as domestic production decreases.

The EU had to import nearly 90% of its natural gas from outside the bloc in 2019, according to the bloc's statistical office, Eurostat.

Russia is the largest exporter of natural gas into the bloc, representing 43.4% of imports from outside the European Union in 2020, followed by Norway.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/05/europe-s-energy-crisis-five-charts-to-explain-why-your-bills-might-go-up-this-winter
Yes I said countries are facing this and other issues. But the UK has also Brexit, higher fuel increases and as a result have food and fuel shortages and deployment of the army to help.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 06, 2021, 07:40:16 AM
This you back on here again trying to make feeble points and win hearts and minds?

Brexit was voted on not in january , but 5 years ago , 3/4 years of which remainers did everything possible to thwart democracy with predictable consequences.

Now here you are again , back on trying to thwart democracy by muck raking and acting the scavenger trying to flag up any little hiccups to say "told you so" , again , which will reap predictable consequences. ::)

There wont be any regulatory alignment between the uk and eu , customs union etc etc while you keep trying to rub brexiters noses in it.

Fack , i voted remain and even im getting pissed off listening to the guff you anglo remainers talk. You obviously dont understand people gerry , or the psychology behind politics .

:D
See monsieur macron is pissing off the algerians now....

Algeria closes its airspace to French military planes

Algeria has banned French military aircraft from crossing its airspace, the spokesperson for the French General Staff of the Armed Forces told AFP.

"This morning, by filing the flight plans for two planes, we learned that the Algerians were closing overflights of their territory to French military planes," said Colonel Pascal Ianni on October 3, 2021. "This does not affect operations or intelligence missions [led by French forces in the Sahel]."

As a consequence of the airspace ban, the two logistic flights planned for October 3, 2021, were suspended.

French Air Force aircraft usually fly through Algeria to reach the Sahel-Saharan region where the French military and its allies are deployed to fight Islamic insurgents as part of Operation Barkhane. A recent report by the French Parliament said that around 1,000 flight hours through Algeria were authorized in 2019.

Without this direct access, the routes of these support flights will likely have to go via Morocco and Mauritania, increasing their flight time.

https://www.aerotime.aero/29078-algeria-closes-its-airspace-to-french-military-planes?fbclid=IwAR0lMSxM0uhz4JBEngbrE2Tz-JHksp5ZWRd3d3dnzUi7CO8CnstiXgpjw2I
Brexit started Jan this yr when the British Exit from the EU became a reality. The UK still today clings onto the EU as it hasn't yet implemented its import controls from the EU, which I'm sure has been noted by other UK trading partners.
Democracy is having the ability to listen to all sides, the decision to Brexit was built on a foundation of lies, that 350m on the bus was a know lie, saying that leaving the EU would not be leaving the customs union was a lie. Etc etc. I'm afraid if you think everything will be forgotten and never spoken about your in for a shock. Brexit over the coming decades will be disected, not by me, but by people all over the UK and further afield.

There is regulatory alignment between the UK and EU, how can you say there isn't. Remember there is no UK without NI. Take away NI and what's left is GB.

Yes a tiff between the two. I guess France reducing visas to the area, including Algeria has also been a contributing factor. The only point I can take is the French react when upset, smart move by Johnson to mock Macron's, only done for the domestic audience, which seems to be Johnsons only motivator.

Thomas

Lord Frost lays out Article 16 timetable as UK finally loses patience with EU on Brexit
LORD FROST is preparing to trigger Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol as soon as next month, warning the EU "we cannot wait forever".

Speaking at the Conservative party conference in Manchester, the Brexit minister said the problems caused by the Protocol were having a devastating impact on Northern Ireland. In a speech aimed as much at the EU as those Tory members in the room, he warned Brussels that "tinkering at the edges" will not fix the frictions caused by the Protocol.

He demanded the EU be more "ambitious" in attempts to find a solution.

But in a warning to Brussels, he said a solution would need to be found quickly in order to avoid the UK triggering the legal mechanism to suspend the Protocol's implementation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1500523/lord-frost-brexit-update-trigger-article-16-timetable-northern-ireland-protocol

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Europe's energy crisis:

Natural gas prices have surged in Europe as countries exit COVID-19 lockdown, fuelling a crisis that is likely to impact consumers' bills this winter.

The cost is now six times higher than what it was last year in Europe and is continuing to increase, with the crisis unlikely to abate before the spring.

Governments are scrambling to issue subsidies and cut taxes in an effort to protect consumers.

Here are five charts to help you visualise what's going on.

Natural gas imports

The EU is heavily reliant on natural gas imports that come from outside the bloc, as domestic production decreases.

The EU had to import nearly 90% of its natural gas from outside the bloc in 2019, according to the bloc's statistical office, Eurostat.

Russia is the largest exporter of natural gas into the bloc, representing 43.4% of imports from outside the European Union in 2020, followed by Norway.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/05/europe-s-energy-crisis-five-charts-to-explain-why-your-bills-might-go-up-this-winter

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 05, 2021, 07:11:29 PM
Yes some of the boats couldn't make it pay given the quotas so chucked it in . The highest bidder was more often than not the owners of factory ships
My point being without the CFP there would be nothing to sell
if the UK govt at the time wanted to keep the quotas for UK people then the sale of the UK quota wouldn't have transferred to a non resident or a legal entity owned by a non resident, and out of UK hands. They could have very easily had a ship's quota didn't transfer with the ship but must be surrendered to the local authority (for a price) and they then could sell it on, with conditions.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 03:36:06 PM

Lets debate, The brexit gamble has now been in action since January,

This you back on here again trying to make feeble points and win hearts and minds?

Brexit was voted on not in january , but 5 years ago , 3/4 years of which remainers did everything possible to thwart democracy with predictable consequences.

Now here you are again , back on trying to thwart democracy by muck raking and acting the scavenger trying to flag up any little hiccups to say "told you so" , again , which will reap predictable consequences. ::)

There wont be any regulatory alignment between the uk and eu , customs union etc etc while you keep trying to rub brexiters noses in it.

Fack , i voted remain and even im getting pissed off listening to the guff you anglo remainers talk. You obviously dont understand people gerry , or the psychology behind politics .

:D
See monsieur macron is pissing off the algerians now....

Algeria closes its airspace to French military planes

Algeria has banned French military aircraft from crossing its airspace, the spokesperson for the French General Staff of the Armed Forces told AFP.

"This morning, by filing the flight plans for two planes, we learned that the Algerians were closing overflights of their territory to French military planes," said Colonel Pascal Ianni on October 3, 2021. "This does not affect operations or intelligence missions [led by French forces in the Sahel]."

As a consequence of the airspace ban, the two logistic flights planned for October 3, 2021, were suspended.

French Air Force aircraft usually fly through Algeria to reach the Sahel-Saharan region where the French military and its allies are deployed to fight Islamic insurgents as part of Operation Barkhane. A recent report by the French Parliament said that around 1,000 flight hours through Algeria were authorized in 2019.

Without this direct access, the routes of these support flights will likely have to go via Morocco and Mauritania, increasing their flight time.

https://www.aerotime.aero/29078-algeria-closes-its-airspace-to-french-military-planes?fbclid=IwAR0lMSxM0uhz4JBEngbrE2Tz-JHksp5ZWRd3d3dnzUi7CO8CnstiXgpjw2I

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 07:57:54 PM
Food production has never been a UK priority. A country that has been in so many wars and doesn't have the ability to feed itself doesn't seem like a great plan. The truth is the UK govt at the time just didn't care much for fishermen and this was born out again in the brexit negotiations as Johnson sold them down the river.
On the funny side Gerry, the Irish might catch on and Barry soon caught on, but it went right over your head, still does.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 05, 2021, 07:11:29 PM
Yes some of the boats couldn't make it pay given the quotas so chucked it in . The highest bidder was more often than not the owners of factory ships
Food production has never been a UK priority. A country that has been in so many wars and doesn't have the ability to feed itself doesn't seem like a great plan. The truth is the UK govt at the time just didn't care much for fishermen and this was born out again in the brexit negotiations as Johnson sold them down the river.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 02:15:03 PM
I don't profess to know much about the CFP, was there declining access for UK/Irish fleets. Did the UK not sell their fishing licences to the highest bidder, which ended up in EU individuals hands, is that what your talking about ?

cromwell

There is a difference, on one hand you have IRL using it's sovereignty to freely join a club and agree in simple terms subsidies for farming in exchange for fishing. At that time IRL had a large farming industry and little to no fishing industry. One the other hand you had GB destroying a country by force, killing millions. Their not really the same thing Cromwell. And you just keep saying the English are all bastards, strawman.

Lets debate, The brexit gamble has now been in action since January, how have UK fishermen been getting on, in fact how has any industry been getting on. How is the promised 350m a week being spent, it's very early days but is there brexit wins. Other than blue passports.

Or this topic, do you think the EU is now trying to screw Irish Fishing, don't you recognise that IRL and the UK freely entered those agreements. They didn't have to. So you tell me, now that your out of the agreement and you have all your fish, how is the fishing sector doing in the UK.

I doubt you understand the strawman and throw it in to say look at me I know how to debate.

I would guess the only strawman you are familiar with is

In fact you rather remind me of him. :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

There is a difference, on one hand you have IRL using it's sovereignty to freely join a club and agree in simple terms subsidies for farming in exchange for fishing. At that time IRL had a large farming industry and little to no fishing industry. One the other hand you had GB destroying a country by force, killing millions. Their not really the same thing Cromwell. And you just keep saying the English are all bastards, strawman.

Lets debate, The brexit gamble has now been in action since January, how have UK fishermen been getting on, in fact how has any industry been getting on. How is the promised 350m a week being spent, it's very early days but is there brexit wins. Other than blue passports.

Or this topic, do you think the EU is now trying to screw Irish Fishing, don't you recognise that IRL and the UK freely entered those agreements. They didn't have to. So you tell me, now that your out of the agreement and you have all your fish, how is the fishing sector doing in the UK.
So I guess Gerry the Irish will have to give it up for Macrons re-election hopes. As Blair was saying just politics.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on October 05, 2021, 02:51:32 PM
So you'll point out your not being screwed by the eu because that was signed 40 years ago yet you'll go on and on about those awful english doing things much longer ago.

I was wrong Gerry you're not a comedian you're just an anti English WUM,totally disinterested in any debate other than the English are all bastards who left the greatest show on earth. Puke

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on October 05, 2021, 02:09:52 PM
Well it's working out great for the UK, you have 100% of your fish (not counting the trade deals your doing giving away those fish) but nobody to sell them to.

Yes you do have the "EU BAD HAT" on most of the time. The OP stated
"Ireland is the next country", how is that so, the common fisheries policy has been in place since 1983, so how is Ireland only now going to to be "raped". It started along time ago when the English were in charge in Ireland. Back then the Irish weren't allowed a boat bigger than a currach, that's not very big. The fish then in the Irish waters were taken by GB boats, remember the spud eating starving Irish. The Irish never had a thriving fishing industry selling to the globe, by 1983 our fishing industry was still in it's infancy. Thanks for that GB. The CFP when agreed made perfect sense for Ireland and also the UK.

The recent changes in quotas is down to Illegal activities by the Irish and having to pay back. The historical CFP is what it is, and has been for decades, nothing new here. So what is this thread about, the Irish are about to be screwed by EU for a deal the Irish signed up to nearly 40yrs ago. Now that's comedy.
So you'll point out your not being screwed by the eu because that was signed 40 years ago yet you'll go on and on about those awful english doing things much longer ago.

I was wrong Gerry you're not a comedian you're just an anti English WUM,totally disinterested in any debate other than the English are all bastards who left the greatest show on earth. Puke
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 05, 2021, 06:05:58 AM
Ted (never trust a tory) Heath , the CFP and the acceptance in Westminster and Dublin that British and Irish waters were to be accessible to all with declining access to our home fleets .
I don't profess to know much about the CFP, was there declining access for UK/Irish fleets. Did the UK not sell their fishing licences to the highest bidder, which ended up in EU individuals hands, is that what your talking about ?