After a bit of DIY advice..

Started by Borchester, October 05, 2021, 12:36:24 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on October 06, 2021, 11:31:37 AM
If you can make a softwood frame out of 2x1 or whatever, glazing beading is available at builders merchants (and sometimes B&Q) so no need for routing. I did this for a couple of cold frames for my OM's allotment. There's also a two-sided beading if different panes are wanted in the same frame...

Ta.

I was thinking on similar lines.

There is some wonderful stuff done by woodworkers, but a lot of it goes back to the days when screws were more expensive than labour.

Algerie Francais !

patman post

If you can make a softwood frame out of 2x1 or whatever, glazing beading is available at builders merchants (and sometimes B&Q) so no need for routing. I did this for a couple of cold frames for my OM's allotment. There's also a two-sided beading if different panes are wanted in the same frame...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 01:45:39 PM
Only a thought but if the window was anywhere near an off the shelf size it would be just as easy to cut one down.

Edit - you can also buy timber already rebated for the glass which might be helpful.

You are talking to Mr Cack Hand 2021 here Toots. I will build the rebates. Routers and me just don't mix
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2021, 05:00:15 PM
By the time you've bought the wood you could most likely have bought a frame for the same price.

I could. And by the time I have cocked everything up, Chez Borchester will probably be known as Public Eyesore Number One. But it will be fun  :)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 05, 2021, 03:14:45 PM
Good luck with that Borky wood prices change daily (upwards) it's like gold,a wooden post I bought for £10 a few months back is now £17

True.

I don't know what is going on. I mean, it is not as though the trees have caught the Peking Pox, but there you go. And to be fair, 2.4 metre x 38 mm x 63 mm studding was at £2.99 for so long I thought that the price had been written into Magna Carta. And now it is £4.98! Looks as though the lumberjacks have gotten the idea that they are entitled to eat three times a day.

Still, whatever half arsed job I make of it, it will still be cheaper than the quotes I have been getting. The window might fall out, but the thought of the money saved will warm madam's frugal Yorkshire soul   :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 05, 2021, 12:36:24 PM
I want to make a new window. Nothing clever, just the frame for the glass. But I was wondering about the wood. Does it have to be any particular type or will some cheap and cheerful pine from the local hardware shop do?

Thanks in advance

By the time you've bought the wood you could most likely have bought a frame for the same price.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

I want to make a new window. Nothing clever, just the frame for the glass. But I was wondering about the wood. Does it have to be any particular type or will some cheap and cheerful pine from the local hardware shop do?

Thanks in advance
Good luck with that Borky wood prices change daily (upwards) it's like gold,a wooden post I bought for £10 a few months back is now £17
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 05, 2021, 01:38:00 PM
Pathetic. But it is just a frame and I can manage a bit of bash to fit and paint to hide. I think I will use whatever is on special offer at B&Q and if it lasts more than a couple of years I will be well pleased.

I had a lad round and he did his wise old craftsman act and quoted a price for rebuilding the Crystal Palace. I will have a go myself. Even if the window does fall out at Christmas it should be fun.

Many thanks Toots

Only a thought but if the window was anywhere near an off the shelf size it would be just as easy to cut one down.

Edit - you can also buy timber already rebated for the glass which might be helpful.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 01:26:48 PM
what's your carpentry like?

Pathetic. But it is just a frame and I can manage a bit of bash to fit and paint to hide. I think I will use whatever is on special offer at B&Q and if it lasts more than a couple of years I will be well pleased.

I had a lad round and he did his wise old craftsman act and quoted a price for rebuilding the Crystal Palace. I will have a go myself. Even if the window does fall out at Christmas it should be fun.

Many thanks Toots
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 05, 2021, 01:02:54 PM
Many thanks Toots. Any advice on the type of hardwood?

Seasoned oak would be the first choice I guess but it might be the most expensive and quite hard to work depending on what tools are available. You say you want a simple frame - what's your carpentry like?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 12:40:57 PM
If you use hard wood it will cope with the weather better. Soft woods with good primer, undercoat and preferably 2 top coats will last a while. It's a shame to paint hardwood, but a decent seal of some sort would be needed in the same way as re-painting.

Many thanks Toots. Any advice on the type of hardwood?
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Thanks in advance

If you use hard wood it will cope with the weather better. Soft woods with good primer, undercoat and preferably 2 top coats will last a while. It's a shame to paint hardwood, but a decent seal of some sort would be needed in the same way as re-painting.

Borchester

Thanks in advance
Algerie Francais !