Whitchurch Solar Panels

Started by Barry, October 06, 2021, 09:36:38 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on October 06, 2021, 09:36:38 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-58823956
In the current politically green landscape I would expect this project to get planning approval.
I expect JoG will tell you how much electricity 600,000 m2 of panels will provide to the grid when the sun is 55 degrees above the horizon.
I will say how much they produce at night. (0).  ;)

I just wonder about the location. Is that part of Shropshire close to the N Wales border a suntrap? It gets all the showers and cloud running through the Cheshire gap.

The further south a project of this nature, the better -
I also understand a huge undersea cable is being laid from N Africa to the UK provided by solar panels over there.
The thing about revolutionary is it is expensive.

600 watts per square metre on a pretty cloudless day, about 400 with high altitude cirrus and bugger all worth measuring when it's raining.

The problem in that neck of the woods is it rains a bit.

They would be better off putting such a thing at the South coast where the microclimate is drier and less cloudy.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

It was Labour under Corbyn who suggested putting them on every house roof. Wìth every square metre producing up to 200W an average house might produce 14 kWh in a sunny day.
Personally we use an average of 4 kWh a day, so in good weather we could sell 10 off.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Wouldn't it be better to put the solar panels on the roofs of the 9000 homes?

Near where I live there's a large industrial estate which has been built in recent years. Only one of the buildings there has solar panels on its roof. If all the roofs there were covered with solar panels it would equal a medium sized solar farm.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-58823956
In the current politically green landscape I would expect this project to get planning approval.
I expect JoG will tell you how much electricity 600,000 m2 of panels will provide to the grid when the sun is 55 degrees above the horizon.
I will say how much they produce at night. (0).  ;)

I just wonder about the location. Is that part of Shropshire close to the N Wales border a suntrap? It gets all the showers and cloud running through the Cheshire gap.

The further south a project of this nature, the better -
I also understand a huge undersea cable is being laid from N Africa to the UK provided by solar panels over there.
The thing about revolutionary is it is expensive.
† The end is nigh †