When the wind doesn't blow.

Started by cromwell, October 09, 2021, 05:04:16 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: patman post on October 09, 2021, 08:49:44 PM
Perhaps the onshore wind farms could be coupled to the coal-fired power stations so that they could be electrically driven to provide enough wind to operate the offshore generators...
Ah, that's how to get round the Jeremiah type attributes. I'll make up solutions to the country's problems which are nonsense.

In winter, anticyclones can be very cold and we'll need more energy to keep warm. I expect Boris to make a law telling us to set our thermostats to no more than 12C and wear extra thick nighties and pyjamas.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Perhaps the onshore wind farms could be coupled to the coal-fired power stations so that they could be electrically driven to provide enough wind to operate the offshore generators...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

I've just come back from Sheppey. There's an onshore wind farm near the prison and there is an offshore wind farm you can just see from the east coast. When we got there about noon there were none turning on land. We couldn't see the ones offshore at first. When we left about 15:30, the sea ones could be seen and were stationary. The land ones were turning, but slowly.
They are currently providing 1.87 GW of their 15 GW capability. Coal is on 0.44 GW.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Anticyclones are a bitch for the wind lobbyists.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Well apparently we're short of wind,stand by for some loonies saying it's all a plot  to a)discredit the green agenda
b)it's the work of Vlad so he can make a killing on gas
c) it's all been contrived to thwart brexit
d)it's all been contrived to show why we were right to leave.

No actually it's the weather  ::)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10075301/Global-stilling-blamed-wind-speeds-drop-Europe-threaten-drive-energy-prices.html
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?