Remainers

Started by Nick, December 13, 2019, 04:19:01 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=9652 time=1576235420 user_id=103
I've just found the new forums after the disappearance of the old one. I wondered if the forum had spontaneously combusted from the high concentration of anger in the threads but no, it's just re-invented itself.

As one or two of you might know, I'm a remainer, so here's my take on the election.

I always maintained that we needed a second referendum or a general election with Brexit as the main issue, since a tiny majority for 'leave' that receded into history until it was over 3 years out-of-date was an insufficiently rigorous test of public opinion for such a major step like leaving the EU.

We've now had a general election with Brexit as the main issue and this time people have voted clearly, albeit indirectly, for Brexit. I'm satisfied that yesterday's result demonstrates a clear will of the people and so now we should leave the EU.  This won't magically make Brexit a good thing, it's still likely to be bad for Britain and looks more likely than ever to lead to the break-up of the UK.  But it has to be done and we have to bear the consequences.  When it all goes wrong, who will Brexiters try to blame?  Remainers?  the EU?  the Scots?

Hello quackers and though you sometimes do my head in it's a genuine welcome back,I did send you several p.m.'s before the old forum folded about here and emails though your email address on that old forum was inactive and bounced back to me.

Anyway nice to see you back  ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Ciaphas

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=9758 time=1576253651 user_id=84
There is an element of truth in what you say despite your condescending opening statement.

Many of my friends are both by ideology and habit Tory voters but nevertheless believe in remaining within the EU. Despite this the common rationale for them to vote Conservative was that 1. Any Brexit was going to be less damaging than Marxist Labour's economic lunacy 2. After 42 months of ineffectual and damaging parliamentary stagnation and  possibly years more of prevarication under Labour would be more damaging than holding their noses and making the best of Brexit. 3. The many dismal aspects relating to Marxist Labour including anti-semitism, internal bullying and intimidation of moderate candidates and grossly incompetent leadership prevented anyone with any sort of working moral compass from voting for them.

I'm only using the same tone favoured by the majority leavers on this forum when they talk about remainers. I apologise to those leavers who are civil but the rest can go swivel.

The Labour manifesto went too far and clearly wasn't going to sit well with most people. Furthermire Corbyn is a massive liability and is deeply disliked and distrusted across the political spectrum.

Life-long Labour supporters were phoning into LBC todaysaying how they'd voted Conservative because they couldn't vote for Corbyn, that's how bad things have become in the Labour party  Honestly I think Mr Johnson could have gone on holiday and still won this election.

I'm actually willing to suspend my disbelief and give Mr Johnson a chance to actually do what he says in terms of sorting this country out but I'm not optimistic that there will be any meaningful change.

Thomas

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9750 time=1576252232 user_id=75
I see many here still lack the mental capacity to tell the difference between a general election and a confirmatory referendum.

It was the dysmal state of the Labour party which handed the Conservatives this election, not approval for Mr Johnson's deal

However it is what it is. Just have to hope Mr Johnson doesn't f**k the country up too badly.
:lol:  :roll:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Major Sinic

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9750 time=1576252232 user_id=75
I see many here still lack the mental capacity to tell the difference between a general election and a confirmatory referendum.

It was the dysmal state of the Labour party which handed the Conservatives this election, not approval for Mr Johnson's deal

However it is what it is. Just have to hope Mr Johnson doesn't f**k the country up too badly.

There is an element of truth in what you say despite your condescending opening statement.

Many of my friends are both by ideology and habit Tory voters but nevertheless believe in remaining within the EU. Despite this the common rationale for them to vote Conservative was that 1. Any Brexit was going to be less damaging than Marxist Labour's economic lunacy 2. After 42 months of ineffectual and damaging parliamentary stagnation and  possibly years more of prevarication under Labour would be more damaging than holding their noses and making the best of Brexit. 3. The many dismal aspects relating to Marxist Labour including anti-semitism, internal bullying and intimidation of moderate candidates and grossly incompetent leadership prevented anyone with any sort of working moral compass from voting for them.

Ciaphas

However it is what it is. Just have to hope Mr Johnson doesn't F@@@ the country up too badly.

Major Sinic

Quote from: Javert post_id=9679 time=1576237889 user_id=64
Chilling comments here on this forum this morning.

Looking at the results, well over 50% of people in the UK who voted, cast their vote against the Conservatives, and in favour of parties who either wanted another referendum, or were against Brexit.

How this can be described as a victory for the silent majority I'm not sure, but we now live in a time where only those who voted for the winning party exist.

You could also hear this in Boris Johnson's comments this morning.  There was a time back in the 20th century where victorious Prime Ministers would try to keep in mind that they have been given the honour to govern for all UK people, and not only the ones who voted for them.  The comments this morning were gloating and although they recognised that some people who voted may not have voted Conservative before, they ignored the 57% of people who didn't vote for him.

So suddenly a 'majority' matters to you. It never has before. Since you joined the forum you have decried, rejected and devalued the 2016 referendum and the very real majority for Brexit it produced.

Now you seem to argue that because more people didn't vote for the Tories than did, it somehow throws the result into question. This was not a binary election, it was an election which was far more complex covering as it did multiple issue of which Brexit was but one, albeit the major one.

The result was a landslide victory under our electoral process, for the Conservatives. I am sure if Marxist Labour had won a landslide you would have been more than content. You are as big a hypocrite as you are a bad loser Javert. Even HQQ and BBB managed a modicum grace over the result.

Major Sinic

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=9640 time=1576233586 user_id=52
On the other bright side,every turncoat lost their job,hungry and homeless,enjoy.

:hattip

T00ts

Quote from: Javert post_id=9679 time=1576237889 user_id=64

Looking at the results, well over 50% of people in the UK who voted, cast their vote against the Conservatives, and in favour of parties who either wanted another referendum, or were against Brexit.

How this can be described as a victory for the silent majority I'm not sure, but we now live in a time where only those who voted for the winning party exist.

You could also hear this in Boris Johnson's comments this morning.  There was a time back in the 20th century where victorious Prime Ministers would try to keep in mind that they have been given the honour to govern for all UK people, and not only the ones who voted for them.  The comments this morning were gloating and although they recognised that some people who voted may not have voted Conservative before, they ignored the 57% of people who didn't vote for him.

We wondered how long it would be before the losers claimed victory. Please do give it a rest and give in gracefully. Unless you haven't quite caught on they call it democracy! Happy Christmas.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=9551 time=1576224280 user_id=54
Yes Remain and the left ideology has had a kicking and yes the silent majority have at last legitimately stood up to the bullying and insults and made their view known with a vengeance just as we hoped they would, but let's not forget that a bit of grace will go further than kicking when they are down.

Barry

Welcome back HQQ.  :hattip

It's not been the same without you.  ;)

I like your conciliatory tone and hope that this really will unite the country in moving forward. There will still be hardliners who will not accept it ever.
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I should have said 'if' rather than 'when' it all goes wrong' because there's always a chance it will go OK.  I doubt it but it might!

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I've just found the new forums after the disappearance of the old one. I wondered if the forum had spontaneously combusted from the high concentration of anger in the threads but no, it's just re-invented itself.

As one or two of you might know, I'm a remainer, so here's my take on the election.

I always maintained that we needed a second referendum or a general election with Brexit as the main issue, since a tiny majority for 'leave' that receded into history until it was over 3 years out-of-date was an insufficiently rigorous test of public opinion for such a major step like leaving the EU.

We've now had a general election with Brexit as the main issue and this time people have voted clearly, albeit indirectly, for Brexit. I'm satisfied that yesterday's result demonstrates a clear will of the people and so now we should leave the EU.  This won't magically make Brexit a good thing, it's still likely to be bad for Britain and looks more likely than ever to lead to the break-up of the UK.  But it has to be done and we have to bear the consequences.  When it all goes wrong, who will Brexiters try to blame?  Remainers?  the EU?  the Scots?

Major Sinic

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9600 time=1576229155 user_id=62
I am sorry that things did not work out the way Deppity Dawg wanted. If there had been a few more remainers like him the whole business would have been settled amicably three years ago and right now we would be wondering what the fuss was about.

As for the rest, I dare say that Javert and Beelby will soon be along to tell us that the Labour party actually won, Gerry will explain that as a result of the Irish beef embargo the UK actually starved to death last night and Conor will come along with something or other that is yards long and reads as though it is a cut and paste from Tolley's Tax Tables.

Thomas won't be around for a while. With the SNP having 48 out of 59 Scottish seats his liver will be so pickled that he won't know whether to wait until it drys out or fry it with some onions.

:hattip

Sheepy

On the other bright side,every turncoat lost their job,hungry and homeless,enjoy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Quote from: Nick post_id=9608 time=1576230098 user_id=73
Don't worry about the video, it might have been you who posted in the other place. It's the 17 million f**k offs video.

OH OK!

Have you seen that john Curtice tried to say remain won this general election. He counted all the Labour votes as remain. Which is a bit os a liberty as Jeremy didn't know whether he was leaving with a fresh deal or remaining.
† The end is nigh †