Main Menu

Just in time

Started by cromwell, October 11, 2021, 06:55:48 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 20, 2021, 08:44:58 AM
No it wasn't, Covid destroyed trade long before Brexit.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer. Demands that exporters fill warehouses with 12 to 18 months stock at the exporters expense were implemented from 2017 onwards to UK suppliers of EU based automotive assemblers and our own plants also made similar demands. This started in March 2017 and was therefore about 33 months BEFORE COVID ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 20, 2021, 07:07:10 AM
"Just in time" was stuffed by Brexit.

Yes, but not in the way every remoaner would like us to think. The truth, as seen from someone inside an affected industry at the time, us in the post before yours.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on December 20, 2021, 09:28:00 AM
There are items still I have found to be unobtainable from Europe since Jan 2020, but in most cases I have been able to get equivalents from China. (The last item arrived from China with dated customs stamps in China and the UK within 48 hours.)
I read an interesting piece yrs back about I think it was the mini, it was more detailed than the attached but it shows how parts move back and forth, usually over night, in the manufacture of a single car, with checks in both directions that doesn't just disrupt JIT, it has an impact on the full production line. Alternatives I'm sure will be found, but they would have been used long ago if they had a viable financial or time advantage. Simply put, costs are going to go up and that has an impact on competition.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/03/brexit-uk-car-industry-mini-britain-eu

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on December 20, 2021, 09:16:30 AM
JIT will return post covid, It's been disrupted globally, but papa has a point, the UK only starts its delayed import checks in Jan next yr, from the EU, where most of its JIT supply chain comes from/goes to. That disruption will still be there after covid is gone in the UK, so how will that pan out.
There are items still I have found to be unobtainable from Europe since Jan 2020, but in most cases I have been able to get equivalents from China. (The last item arrived from China with dated customs stamps in China and the UK within 48 hours.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

JIT will return post covid, It's been disrupted globally, but papa has a point, the UK only starts its delayed import checks in Jan next yr, from the EU, where most of its JIT supply chain comes from/goes to. That disruption will still be there after covid is gone in the UK, so how will that pan out. 

papasmurf

Nick the extra paperwork, the extra costs, and the delays all caused by Brexit and still being caused by Brexit has killed off just in time.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 20, 2021, 07:07:10 AM
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on October 11, 2021, 06:55:48 PM
Yes if I remember rightly this started years ago with the armed forces,"we're not having stuff lying around in stores we'll supply just in time" always thought it would end in disaster but took longer than I thought.

johnofgwent

Just In Time didn't start with the military who have serious storage facilities in a certain Cornish residents favourite Oxford town ... And even more serious ones elsewhere it started in the Japanese automotive sector. And came to.ours quite rapidly

One of the biggest reasons the British automotive sector went to hell in a handcart before COVID lockdowns killed it dead was the demand after the BREXIT vote made by EU based car makers that all British automotive parts makers immediately, and at their expense, stockpile about a year's supply of their entire product line. 

The company I worked for from 2017 to 2020 in this sector literally bought up every spare cubic foot of storage space for miles around. 

And then COVID killed the industry dead.

If anyone wants a year's supply of unwanted wing mirrors .....

Nick

Quote from: Baff on December 18, 2021, 11:39:12 AM
It's not just storage costs.
Stock is tied up capital. Extra money you need to raise.
Money that could be being used elsewhere.

For the military I'd like to see industrial capacity.
Depth of defence.
The ability to lose an army and it not be game over.
The ability to replace it fast.
The military have storage facilities, they are stored by a specific company, I know cause I put some of the systems in. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

It's not just storage costs.
Stock is tied up capital. Extra money you need to raise.
Money that could be being used elsewhere.

For the military I'd like to see industrial capacity.
Depth of defence.
The ability to lose an army and it not be game over.
The ability to replace it fast.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 11, 2021, 06:55:48 PM
Yes if I remember rightly this started years ago with the armed forces,"we're not having stuff lying around in stores we'll supply just in time" always thought it would end in disaster but took longer than I thought.

It's widely used everywhere and now it's come back to bite us on the arse and the media and remainers are loving it,
christmas is stuffed in fact life in general is too we'll go short of everything.

Well if you spread alarm yes people will panic buy I'd call them all avery rude word but Toots is logged on. ;)
Quite simply - as long as there are no glitches - just in time saves money by reducing storage costs.

The obvious glitch - and like you I am surprised it has worked so well until now - is that the slightest disruption to the supply chain, whether it be border hold ups, strike actions, or driver shortages or whatever - and there will be almost immediate shortages, often resulting in panic buying which greatly worsens it.

Though in part perhaps a function of the time of year, the back areas of my store are ram jam packed with cages of goods, suggesting that just in time has been at least temporarily and partly superceded by a deliberate policy of stocking up. And this has indeed resulted in fewer of the kind of shelf space shortages that we were seeing a couple of months ago.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

It's widely used everywhere and now it's come back to bite us on the arse and the media and remainers are loving it,
christmas is stuffed in fact life in general is too we'll go short of everything.

Well if you spread alarm yes people will panic buy I'd call them all avery rude word but Toots is logged on. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?