Main Menu

Oceans 11 or Fishing rights

Started by T00ts, October 12, 2021, 11:42:13 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 12, 2021, 08:22:57 PM
I would say that should read 100% with the EU . Traditional access to fishing grounds that had been in place for centuries for both UK and French fishermen was taken under the authority of Europe and the CFP that followed .

With Brexit ,the EU and the UK not finding common ground its hardly our fault that one of our few trump cards is used in getting the EU to bend on other issues

The whole debacle comes down to personal choice.
We have more fish and shellfish than we know what to do with.
We have enough pork to sink a ship if we get our act together.
Yet people go on about food banks.
The poorer in society spend their money as a whole on expensive pre-made frozen foods and takeaways. Smurfy will use his well worn Tory Bad and you're a disgrace card but it is fact, the poorer you are, the worse your diet is.
Fresh veg, and pork/chicken are fairly inexpensive compared to take outs or ready meals. The population needs re-educating to the level most of our grandparents were at: frugal and able to budget, Maggie was bang on with that one.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2021, 01:09:45 PM
The problem is 100% with Britain and Jersey.

I would say that should read 100% with the EU . Traditional access to fishing grounds that had been in place for centuries for both UK and French fishermen was taken under the authority of Europe and the CFP that followed .

With Brexit ,the EU and the UK not finding common ground its hardly our fault that one of our few trump cards is used in getting the EU to bend on other issues

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 12, 2021, 01:13:14 PM
I must say I find it difficult to believe that all French fisherman are 100% honest.

I can assure you neither are 100% of UK fishermen.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2021, 01:09:45 PM

I must say I find it difficult to believe that all French fisherman are 100% honest. What about those who fish illegally and also sell the same way?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 12, 2021, 01:06:13 PM
Perhaps but that doesn't make them legal.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2021, 12:46:13 PM
They can't when they are asked to provide evidence from a source that does not exist.
They can all provide evidence from the AIS tracking system but that for some reason is not acceptable.

Perhaps but that doesn't make them legal.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 12, 2021, 12:43:08 PM

Why? If the french can't prove their right to fish why should they have a licence? Seems fair to me.

They can't when they are asked to provide evidence from a source that does not exist.
They can all provide evidence from the AIS tracking system but that for some reason is not acceptable.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2021, 12:22:38 PM
I have to presume you are joking.

Why? If the french can't prove their right to fish why should they have a licence? Seems fair to me.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 12, 2021, 11:42:13 AM
we have obeyed the rules to the letter

I have to presume you are joking.

T00ts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10083203/France-ten-EU-nations-call-common-against-Britain-post-Brexit-fishing-licences.html

The daily fail loves a crisis and if there isn't one then they massage the details, but only days ago I read that Macron had been told by other EU members to pull his neck in with his varied threats over the fishing licences offered to their fishermen (or should that be fisher-people?).

Now according to the report above 10 members plus France want to turn the screws once again because we had a) the temerity to tell them where to put their nasty little club, b) we have obeyed the rules to the letter as they have at the route to Northern Ireland and turned down those who couldn't produce the right evidence/paperwork.

Now in my book what is sauce for the goose is fit for the gander too.