National grid too much reliance on using gas to generate electricity

Started by papasmurf, October 12, 2021, 01:08:34 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 12, 2021, 08:00:51 PM
Some of the claims made for wave and tidal generation seem unrealistic — as one prof said in a meeting I attended, if they've that much latent energy our beaches would be red hot...
MOST of the claims for tidal ARE unrealistic
As i am prone to brag about whenever i find a greta cult clone in earshot, the first paycheck i ever got as a graduate was earned from the dept of mechanical engineering and energy studies as a research tech.
From those times i saw the plans for a theoretical severn barrage being assembled. A barrage from roughly where my home is now on one side, to the far side by Clevedon,would in theory allow capture of approximately 1000 MW at the abslute maximum peak high tide but most of the year would only guarantee about a third of that. And this is the second highest tidal range on the planet, forty bloody feet.
But that was a theoretical value that tok no accountof losses in inefficiencies.

In stark contrast, the Torness B power station for which I carried out the safety critical software risk analysis in conjunctio with three mathematicians and two chartered engineers, and for which I personally wired up the initial control system's backup monitoring software , was rated AFTER al heat losses as caable of chucking out over 1,300 MW of electrical power 24/7/365 and not even abombing run from te RAF stopped it.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on October 12, 2021, 05:04:37 PM
Renewables have greatly reduced our reliance on gas-fired power stations but their effect is variable dependent on weather for wind and solar and time of day as well for solar. The more we move to renewables and grid-scale storage batteries the less gas will be needed. Perhaps tidal generation will be the next step and it could almost eliminate fossil fuels from electricity generation. But I guess they'll never be eliminated completely as they're a good back-up.
Some of the claims made for wave and tidal generation seem unrealistic — as one prof said in a meeting I attended, if they've that much latent energy our beaches would be red hot...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Renewables have greatly reduced our reliance on gas-fired power stations but their effect is variable dependent on weather for wind and solar and time of day as well for solar. The more we move to renewables and grid-scale storage batteries the less gas will be needed. Perhaps tidal generation will be the next step and it could almost eliminate fossil fuels from electricity generation. But I guess they'll never be eliminated completely as they're a good back-up.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

The whole energy of this country stinks. We have avoided improving reliable infrastructure and the government are now refusing gas drilling in our North Sea. That is stupidity.
Nuclear is a great option but needs to be planned years in advance.
Coal is now considered evil. So is gas.
Solar is great when it is sunny. Wind is great when it is windy.
Nuclear is always great, except Fukushima, Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.

What's your solution, Papasmurf?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Currently using this real time electricity generation status: https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Around 50%of the electricity is being generated by using gas as fuel. This will have, given the price of gas serious consequences to the cost of electricity.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe