Not something I like to discuss openly but

Started by Borchester, October 12, 2021, 10:54:43 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

As someone who works for Tesco and regularly shops there I can confidently state that - aside from the occasional and temporary special offer - our prices are only heading in one direction and that is upwards. The rises have been quite noticeable with some products. And although most of our shelves are not empty we almost always seem to have shortages of some products. When something is out of stock the shelves are mostly kept full by putting more of what we have in stock there instead.

There is of course the added danger that at any given moment all this talk of christmas shortages might tip a few into panic buying, which will of course result in the panic buyers causing the very shortages thay are afraid of. And just as with fuel recently, everyone else will start feeling the need to join in once it starts to avoid being caught short themselves.

I suspect my store is anticipating this. Because it is taking on loads of new staff whilst offering existing staff as well as newbies as much overtime as we can handle. This level of investment in staffing levels is unheard of in my ten years with the company. Clearly they are expecting a rush to kick off at some point and want to be ready for it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2021, 10:54:43 PM
are prices falling?

Not in Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Tesco's or Sainsbury's. I put that last one in with caution as we have not been able to afford their prices since 2006.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2021, 10:54:43 PM
are prices falling?

I have not come across any that are. Recently I have had notifications of impending  price rises.
Cost of materials for Destroy-It-Yourself projects seemed to have increased in price sometimes dramatically.
I have however not noticed any rise in prices for anything I buy from Wun Hung Lo's mega four candles, fork handles emporium in China.  (But I don't expect that to last.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

are prices falling?

I went down to B&Q to buy some gardening stuff and I bought a sprinkler and pair of secateurs for £5 each. And 20 square metres of 100micro plastic sheet at £8.99. And Al Nakhil's tahini has been £5.99 for 2lbs since he was a twinkle in Baba Nakhil's eye.

I dare say that everyone else is quietly leaking money, but it has to be said that at this end things are not so bad
Algerie Francais !