Main Menu

Windows 11

Started by Nick, October 13, 2021, 09:40:23 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 02, 2022, 04:57:03 PM
Well apparently I'm a luddite :D
I'ts ok but they seem to have moved stuff around confusing an old duffer like me.

I use Ubuntu. It is not overly user friendly (I have a blind friend who can't run certain programs with it), but it has the advantage of being bug free.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on February 02, 2022, 04:37:20 PM
Today, upgraded my Dell laptop to Windows 11. It took about 35 minutes after the download and seems to be working very well. It has a slightly different look, but so far so good.
Well apparently I'm a luddite :D
I'ts ok but they seem to have moved stuff around confusing an old duffer like me.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

I am running Windows 11, make sure you download ALL the updates before using it, and get rid of as much of the rubbish that loads up on the front page as you can. I am using Edge.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

My laptop won't take it so there will come decision time at some point.

Barry

Today, upgraded my Dell laptop to Windows 11. It took about 35 minutes after the download and seems to be working very well. It has a slightly different look, but so far so good.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2021, 01:11:08 PM
I only use MS operating systems at work these days. That way the company IT dept is responsible for the seemingly constant upgrades. This set back with Mrs' iMac is the first time I've been told by Apple that the OS is too old — and I've been a devotee for over 15 years...

I admit being just an employee and therefore not needing to do any more of this Dev tools assembly malarkey has its advantages
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 01:24:13 AM
I have now updated to Windows 11 on my laptop and can confirm everything is OK with both EDGE and FIREFOX.
I only use MS operating systems at work these days. That way the company IT dept is responsible for the seemingly constant upgrades. This set back with Mrs' iMac is the first time I've been told by Apple that the OS is too old — and I've been a devotee for over 15 years...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 15, 2021, 12:27:32 AM

Skype works for me with Debian Linux running as an Oracle Virtualbox guest OS inside a pretty low spec 64bit HP Desktop running win 10

The win 11 upgrade tool took a sharp intake of breath and said "seriously ??"

Skype is proprietary so it violates the purist goals of Debian. But I think this site covers how to get round that.

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-skype-on-debian-10/

I can't remember now how I did it when I set it up.but the stuff on here seems to trigger memories... Hope it helps
Thanks — it's looking possible...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

According to MicroShytes own site Windows 10 end of life is four years away.

I'll be out of this IT lark by then and probably dead given my health so unless Bill really does have the contract at 666.com urban myth suggests he signed to get DOS on PCs I won't care, or need to upgrade.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

I have now updated to Windows 11 on my laptop and can confirm everything is OK with both EDGE and FIREFOX.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 14, 2021, 04:24:41 PM
Interesting. Mrs has acquired a 10 year old smaller iMac which she thought she'd use for Skyping instead of elbowing me off mine.   

Unfortunately Skype won't load on the old operating system so your post has given me the idea to ask our IT gurus at work if Linux can be installed on an iMac and if so will Skype will operate on it — do you by any chance Skype and, if so, do you know which Linux operating system you've got...?

Skype works for me with Debian Linux running as an Oracle Virtualbox guest OS inside a pretty low spec 64bit HP Desktop running win 10

The win 11 upgrade tool took a sharp intake of breath and said "seriously ??"

Skype is proprietary so it violates the purist goals of Debian. But I think this site covers how to get round that.

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-skype-on-debian-10/

I can't remember now how I did it when I set it up.but the stuff on here seems to trigger memories... Hope it helps

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 14, 2021, 11:17:08 AM
I can just about turn my computer on. The boy has installed Linux on my machine. It does the business and every time there is a bug a million nerds fight for the chance to fix it.
Interesting. Mrs has acquired a 10 year old smaller iMac which she thought she'd use for Skyping instead of elbowing me off mine.   

Unfortunately Skype won't load on the old operating system so your post has given me the idea to ask our IT gurus at work if Linux can be installed on an iMac and if so will Skype will operate on it — do you by any chance Skype and, if so, do you know which Linux operating system you've got...?

Borchester

I can just about turn my computer on. The boy has installed Linux on my machine. It does the business and every time there is a bug a million nerds fight for the chance to fix it.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on October 13, 2021, 09:55:39 PM
Yeah they said Windows 10 was the last OS ever,just updates.
Anyway got a message inviting me to check if my pc is good enough spec to run it.
Wonder how long 11 will last?

Apparently my PC will run on it, but I am wary of upgrading.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on October 13, 2021, 10:17:53 PM
My Dell will run it, but it was only purchased last year, so I would expect that. My wife's Acer won't run it as the processor isn't up to spec.
I will wait until they've ironed out the bugs, but I will update to W11.
Yes my Medion from Aldi only a few months old will run it,my other medion from Aldi about 14 years old but still going strong probably won't.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?