Pandora Papers: Why are donations to political parties often so controversial?

Started by GBNews, October 14, 2021, 07:00:17 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 16, 2021, 10:07:39 AM
Given the number of rogue employers in Britain being in a Union is a necessity.

yet very few are.

Trade union membership is down to less than 24% of the uk workforce ,and although membership has risen slightly , its still at its lowest level , nearly ten per cent down on what it was twenty five years ago.

The number of trade unions has massively declined as well.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 16, 2021, 10:03:52 AM
Fair point, but if you weight everything up they do more harm than good.

Given the number of rogue employers in Britain being in a Union is a necessity.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 16, 2021, 04:58:11 AM
Not at all naive Nick.
Some years ago a company (which shall remain nameless) in Gtr Mancland wanted to make a new product.

The union after research refused to let its members be exposed to it because of its toxicity,I suppose there are people who would criticise this action.

Production was moved to some crap hole in the Middle East,after some years workers started to get sick,some died but welfare of its citizens wasn't a priority of the govt there but money was.

Eventually production ceased the plant closed and many ex workers died or were sick.

But no you're right Nick unions only exploit their members and do nowt for them.

Fair point, but if you weight everything up they do more harm than good.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 10:55:51 PM
Come on! How naive? They're there to make money.

Well over the years I have had legal representation and private medical checks I could never have afforded paid for by the Union.
On the other hand donations to the Tory party, (just arrived by email.)
More at link:-

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/firm-run-by-boris-johnsons-ex-adviser-won-35m-government-support/?utm_campaign=Weekly%20flagship%20newsletter%20%2816%2010%202021%29%20%28RKYJ7C%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter%3A%20oD%20weekly&_kx=6c_iYM6NAEj-c7fweySFCTdlmp2CF4s6h5oKghBNSGY%3D.YjCYwm

Boris Johnson's ex-adviser has role at firm that won £3.5m government 'support'
Exclusive: Hydro Industries donated £20,000 to the Tories at the same time it secured funding meant for struggling businesses

Boris Johnson's former adviser works for a company that won millions of pounds in government funding – at the same time that it donated £20,000 to the Conservative Party.

Hydro Industries, a water technology firm, was awarded a "convertible loan" from the government's Future Fund scheme last year, which was meant to help businesses "facing financing difficulties" due to the pandemic.

But in the same month, the company donated £20,000 to the Conservative Party.

In August this year, the loan was converted into equity shares reportedly worth £3.5m.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 10:55:51 PM
Len Mccluskey was on a salary of £145K a year and was given £400K by the unite union to buy a flat in London for £700K, he returned it when it became public knowledge.
He's a multi millionaire coming from the back streets of Liverpool. He's done a number on you if you think unions are there to help the workers, ask the miners!
Not at all naive Nick.
Some years ago a company (which shall remain nameless) in Gtr Mancland wanted to make a new product.

The union after research refused to let its members be exposed to it because of its toxicity,I suppose there are people who would criticise this action.

Production was moved to some crap hole in the Middle East,after some years workers started to get sick,some died but welfare of its citizens wasn't a priority of the govt there but money was.

Eventually production ceased the plant closed and many ex workers died or were sick.

But no you're right Nick unions only exploit their members and do nowt for them.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 15, 2021, 08:39:44 PMNot at all they are there to protect from exploitation.
I don't pay the levy either.

Len Mccluskey was on a salary of £145K a year and was given £400K by the unite union to buy a flat in London for £700K, he returned it when it became public knowledge.
He's a multi millionaire coming from the back streets of Liverpool. He's done a number on you if you think unions are there to help the workers, ask the miners!

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2021, 01:24:40 PM
Two points I see in favour of political donations rather than state funding: 1) political parties tend to listen to people who are successful in their own lives as well as putting forward ideas to attract a majority of voters, and 2) most donations are from the business sector — and if business is doing well it's generally better for the country.   

On the other hand Trade union funding is mostly raised by extortion and commonly used as a threat...
Trade union funding is the only alternative to the wealthy elites buying our politicians at the moment. Better to end all such donations and provide state funding, so that how much you get depends upon how many people support you, not on who a tiny minority of super rich people like.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 08:21:48 PM
Not Unite, you haven't. It only started in 2007,

I am fully aware of that thank you,  I was in the AEU, which ended up as part of Unite due to amalgamations.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 05:01:36 PM
I am a member of Unite, the second largest union in Britain so you are wrong.
Me too.
Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 08:21:48 PM
Not Unite, you haven't. It only started in 2007, and why would you join a union when you're about to retire? Seems strange.

Personally I wouldn't give the Unions a single penny, they cause more trouble than anything else.
Not at all they are there to protect from exploitation.
I don't pay the levy either.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 01:46:34 PMThat is frankly nonsense. I have been trade union member since 1968 and never paid the political levy.  I opted out when I joined.

Not Unite, you haven't. It only started in 2007, and why would you join a union when you're about to retire? Seems strange.

Personally I wouldn't give the Unions a single penny, they cause more trouble than anything else.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2021, 04:53:53 PM
I suggest one person's recollections of the Brotherhood of Bottle Washers, Fellowship of Freeloaders, Society of Sod-Allers, etc, is hardly representative and probably is not even relevant when compared to the memberships of other bigger unions where political levy optoutees would be known to, and harassed by, other members — and don't quote crap about confidentiality of personal details and now needing to contract in...

I am a member of Unite, the second largest union in Britain so you are wrong.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 01:46:34 PM
That is frankly nonsense. I have been trade union member since 1968 and never paid the political levy.  I opted out when I joined.
I suggest one person's recollections of the Brotherhood of Bottle Washers, Fellowship of Freeloaders, Society of Sod-Allers, etc, is hardly representative and probably is not even relevant when compared to the memberships of other bigger unions where political levy optoutees would be known to, and harassed by, other members — and don't quote crap about confidentiality of personal details and now needing to contract in...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2021, 01:24:40 PM

On the other hand Trade union funding is mostly raised by extortion and commonly used as a threat...

That is frankly nonsense. I have been trade union member since 1968 and never paid the political levy.  I opted out when I joined.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on October 14, 2021, 08:21:55 PM
Why are donations to political parties often so controversial?

Simple. It is a currupt purchasing of political influence by those who can afford to pay our politicians. It is implicitly and tacitly understood by both donors and recipients that the money is conditional upon the donor's interests being taken care of.

This is all the worse because the interests of the wealthy elites can often run counter to those of most of us who cannot afford to buy politicians.
Two points I see in favour of political donations rather than state funding: 1) political parties tend to listen to people who are successful in their own lives as well as putting forward ideas to attract a majority of voters, and 2) most donations are from the business sector — and if business is doing well it's generally better for the country.   

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...