Just had a phone call from my MP. (Faints.)

Started by papasmurf, October 14, 2021, 12:23:35 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 05:53:47 PM
No it's not, who are you sailing with?

Brittany ferries  and if we don't supply the reference numbers for each PCR test we will NOT be allowed to board the ferry. Instructions by email that arrived yesterday.
(You can keep waffling on as much as you like I am following the boarding instructions to the letter.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 05:27:10 PM
It is needed to leave the country, my wife and I won't be let on the ferry without it. The ferry company has been VERY clear about that.

No it's not, who are you sailing with?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 05:12:27 PM
No, it's called a booking reference and WAS needed when returning to the U.K.

It is needed to leave the country, my wife and I won't be let on the ferry without it. The ferry company has been VERY clear about that.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 04:48:03 PMAfter purchasing a PCR kit a boarding, (also known as a booking) reference number

No, it's called a booking reference and WAS needed when returning to the U.K.  It took 10 minutes to book and didn't need to be done until you're on your way back, not miles in advance like you said. Also the lead time on the 2 kits arriving has nothing to do with the booking reference but you'd not know all this, having not gone anywhere. If people researched they'd know this and not have wasted money on tests in advance that they didn't need to.

You've just read 2 separate articles and put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 04:19:29 PM
What the hell is a boarding reference? There's no such thing.

Nick you are showing your ignorance yet again. After purchasing a PCR kit a boarding, (also known as a booking) reference number is issued without which you cannot get on board a ferry, airplane or a train going through the chunnel to go abroad.

Frankly my wife and I have nearly lost the will to live just getting all the documentation and permits required just to get out of the country and to be allowed into Brittany.
(I had to phone the French consulate in London this morning because the attestation form required wanted some information that was mangled in the translation from French into English. A nice lady at the consulate was able clear the confusion in no time at all.)
The PCR tests have cost us the equivalent of the cost of 4 meals each at menu Ouvriers restaurants.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 03:49:37 PM
The point is too late for people to do anything about it, they have already booked their holidays and purchased the very expensive PCR tests that had to have to get a boarding reference.
To be in time for the half term it should have been announced three weeks ago.
Yet another balls-up by a government that could not run a party in a brewery.

What the hell is a boarding reference? There's no such thing.
You've not needed a PCR test to board a plane for ages now, it's down to the entry conditions of the country to decide what you need on entry, Grant Shapps can't do anything about that.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 03:45:05 PM
No, the point is he said it would be gone by half term and it is. FACT.

The point is too late for people to do anything about it, they have already booked their holidays and purchased the very expensive PCR tests that had to have to get a boarding reference.
To be in time for the half term it should have been announced three weeks ago.
Yet another balls-up by a government that could not run a party in a brewery.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 03:37:05 PM
The point is he announced it weeks ago but it did not become official until today. It has cost many thousands of people a lot of money.

No, the point is he said it would be gone by half term and it is. FACT.

Holidays cost money, if you haven't hit it don't go. Simple.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 03:30:42 PM
People knew when they booked holidays there would be additional costs involved, if they didn't they're pretty stupid. You don't budget a holiday based on a possible rule change during a pandemic.

The point is he announced it weeks ago but it did not become official until today. It has cost many thousands of people a lot of money.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 01:43:12 PM
Shapps announced it would apply in time for the half term holiday in October, announcing it today is too late.

People knew when they booked holidays there would be additional costs involved, if they didn't they're pretty stupid. You don't budget a holiday based on a possible rule change during a pandemic.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2021, 01:30:48 PM

Everyone's had to take their chance and bet on the changes in infection rates and restrictions...

Shapps announced it would apply in time for the half term holiday in October, announcing it today is too late.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2021, 01:13:23 PM
I did say thanks for calling but I have sent Grant Shapps the bill for the two PCR test kits I had to purchase because of his tardiness making it too late.
That's a bit like sending Clark's a bill for the difference between the full price you had to pay for the footwear you purchased and the sale price you'd have paid if only you'd waited.

Everyone's had to take their chance and bet on the changes in infection rates and restrictions...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2021, 12:49:52 PM
And you said thanks for calling, these things happen and here is a handshake across the miles?

I did say thanks for calling but I have sent Grant Shapps the bill for the two PCR test kits I had to purchase because of his tardiness making it too late.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 14, 2021, 12:23:35 PM

My MP phoned to apologise for the situation.

And you said thanks for calling, these things happen and here is a handshake across the miles?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 08:16:44 AM
And what is so significant about 3 weeks ago?

Nick to go for instance France from the UK it is necessary to have purchased a PCR test which gives you a reference number required by the ferry company, or other means of travel before they will let you board.
There is a lead time of about a week after ordering before the kit arrives.
Many thousands of people will be travelling abroad over the  school half term in October and will have already ordered the PCR tests and booked their trip.
The announcement by Shapps was already too late when he made it.
Now it has been officially announced today that PCR test are no longer need but later flow, (which still have to be purchased it is too late for anyone to sort out.
I will be sending the bill for my PCR tests to Grant Shapps.
When I booked my ferry tickets over three weeks ago the ferry was close to being fully booked. Anyone who has left it until now to book will be out of luck.