Garden Bird Feeders

Started by Churchill, December 13, 2019, 02:13:42 PM

« previous - next »

Major Sinic

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9781 time=1576256448 user_id=62
Sorry Churchill, I can't be much help other than to put out extra food.

I like squirrels, foxes and rats (I used to work for HMRC so like to have someone to look up to) but even if I did not I don't think they deprive the smaller birds and animals of much. Just a while back I saw a pigeon, Jackdaw and squirrel all stuffing their faces at the feeding tables. And because they are messy eaters scoffing on the larger seeds such as sunflower a lot of the smaller stuff was left for the sparrows and such.

The think to do is buy the bird food in half and one  hundredweight bags. That way it is a lot cheaper and will last a couple of weeks.

:hattip

When you mentioned your liking for squirrels, foxes and rats and went on to associate your liking with your boss ( I suppose Team Leader is the current euphemism ) at HMRC I had to read it a second time, before I started to laugh!

You, as you know, are being a tad harsh! I used to have a neighbour who had held a fairly senior position at the tax office in, I think Cumbernauld. He was a large jovial chap, the life and soul of every good party. When he had successfully closed an investigation and collected however many thousands in evaded tax (I'm all in favour of keeping my avoided tax!!) he always reminded me of the top salesman in the sales team who had just closed the biggest deal; absolutely buzzing on adrenaline.

Borchester

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9785 time=1576257214 user_id=69
I bought a 20 odd kilo bag when I bought the feeders , the larger birds chase the smaller ones away but they can't get the seeds out too big to perch on the feeder, going to move it  so the feeder is close to a bush hide it in there see if that works

That is true enough. The big chaps chase away the little ones. But they do that in nature any way and the little fellows live off the scraps. Apparently half of all birds die of starvation in their first year so I don't try to ration the food out and 20 kilos of bird food is pretty cheap.
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

I bought a 20 odd kilo bag when I bought the feeders , the larger birds chase the smaller ones away but they can't get the seeds out too big to perch on the feeder, going to move it  so the feeder is close to a bush hide it in there see if that works
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Borchester

Sorry Churchill, I can't be much help other than to put out extra food.

I like squirrels, foxes and rats (I used to work for HMRC so like to have someone to look up to) but even if I did not I don't think they deprive the smaller birds and animals of much. Just a while back I saw a pigeon, Jackdaw and squirrel all stuffing their faces at the feeding tables. And because they are messy eaters scoffing on the larger seeds such as sunflower a lot of the smaller stuff was left for the sparrows and such.

The think to do is buy the bird food in half and one  hundredweight bags. That way it is a lot cheaper and will last a couple of weeks.
Algerie Francais !

Major Sinic

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9755 time=1576253155 user_id=69
I live in London but it is surprising how much wildlife there is in the City , we do get lots of foxes in the garden just passing through on their rounds 24/7 only seen one rat in the garden near our garden shed put some poison down just tucked under shed I got off my mate who is a pest controller, rat found it dead a few days later.

I like the Peppermint Oil and grease idea I will give it a go,

We used to see hedgehogs in our garden on a regular basis but not seen one for about 4 or 5 years

I have now found a bird feeder on line with a metal cage around the central seed cylinder I like the look of , should be here by Monday at the latest appreciate the advice thank you

I keep pure breed hens as a hobby and where you've got hens you've got rats and visiting foxes as a matter of course. We also have horses and our fields have a several copses dotted about to add a bit of interest to rough shooting, so we have a fair squirrel population.

I push poisoned grain deep into the rat runs which keeps them under control. Foxes of course whilst a pest, are not vermin so it is against the law to poison, trap, snare or hunt them, so a campaign of shooting becomes the only solution when a fox becomes a problem.

Any way best of luck!

Churchill

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=9749 time=1576252036 user_id=84
I live in the country and like you we are inundated with wildlife, some very welcome like wild birds and some not at all welcome such as rats (I poison the buggers), foxes ( I shoot the buggers) and squirrels ( a mixture of shooting and physical prevention of the buggers).

So turning to your squirrel control. I have a bird table which is 1.5 m high, mounted on a smooth metal scaffolding pole. I mix a small amount of peppermint oil with a handful of agricultural grease and smear it up the pole. The squirrels hate the smell of peppermint and find it hard to climb the pole, If they do they get covered in grease which they hate as it prevents the natural water resistant and warmth qualities normally provided by their coats. I find this is very effective. Another idea is to string your bird table between two trees with no overhanging branches and put home made 'collars' on the wires to prevent the blighters being able to pass along the wires. They also make squirrel and other rodent proof bird feeders (google it). I haven't used these but might be worth investigating. Best of luck.

I live in London but it is surprising how much wildlife there is in the City , we do get lots of foxes in the garden just passing through on their rounds 24/7 only seen one rat in the garden near our garden shed put some poison down just tucked under shed I got off my mate who is a pest controller, rat found it dead a few days later.

I like the Peppermint Oil and grease idea I will give it a go,

We used to see hedgehogs in our garden on a regular basis but not seen one for about 4 or 5 years

I have now found a bird feeder on line with a metal cage around the central seed cylinder I like the look of , should be here by Monday at the latest appreciate the advice thank you
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Making a "cat proof" bird feeder is one of the projects I have to do.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Major Sinic

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9725 time=1576246422 user_id=69
Last winter I bought a bird feeder for my back garden to help the small birds get through the winter, nice metal stand that came with two plastic seed holders, but the flipping tree rats grey squirrels have chewed thorough them both.

I have looked on line for replacements for feeders that are made of metal to stop these rather determined  clever squirrels getting to the seeds , can any forum member recommend a good make design that may stop them getting to the seeds meant to keep the small birds well fed instead of the tree rats .

Thank you

I live in the country and like you we are inundated with wildlife, some very welcome like wild birds and some not at all welcome such as rats (I poison the buggers), foxes ( I shoot the buggers) and squirrels ( a mixture of shooting and physical prevention of the buggers).

So turning to your squirrel control. I have a bird table which is 1.5 m high, mounted on a smooth metal scaffolding pole. I mix a small amount of peppermint oil with a handful of agricultural grease and smear it up the pole. The squirrels hate the smell of peppermint and find it hard to climb the pole, If they do they get covered in grease which they hate as it prevents the natural water resistant and warmth qualities normally provided by their coats. I find this is very effective. Another idea is to string your bird table between two trees with no overhanging branches and put home made 'collars' on the wires to prevent the blighters being able to pass along the wires. They also make squirrel and other rodent proof bird feeders (google it). I haven't used these but might be worth investigating. Best of luck.

Churchill

My wife hates cats has a phobia about them she shoos them away , the squirrels just look at her and from up high and carry on regardless

Barry

We used to have 2 cats, they kept the squirrel away. They're both gone now, so I have to go outside and shout and chase them off.

I wonder what the neighbours think but  :shrg:
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

:D

Well I have lots of cartridges I bought extra in just in case Labour won :) , but not an option really built up area and enough gunfire in my part of London as it is, I have bumped some off over the years with my air rifle but new ones arrive within days.

cromwell

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9725 time=1576246422 user_id=69
Last winter I bought a bird feeder for my back garden to help the small birds get through the winter, nice metal stand that came with two plastic seed holders, but the flipping tree rats grey squirrels have chewed thorough them both.

I have looked on line for replacements for feeders that are made of metal to stop these rather determined  clever squirrels getting to the seeds , can any forum member recommend a good make design that may stop them getting to the seeds meant to keep the small birds well fed instead of the tree rats .

Thank you

12 bore should do it,or an air rifle
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Churchill

Thank you