The "mythical" happy times before the current divided and nasty nation.

Started by papasmurf, October 17, 2021, 09:18:26 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 18, 2021, 04:15:41 PM
Its all good here in the Costa del Croydon papa , maybe its a local thing to Cornwall , you should get out more .
Croydon? It is you who needs to get out more. (Or check the crime map.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 18, 2021, 08:57:49 AM
The current divided and nasty nation, if you haven't noticed I suggest taking your blinkers off.
Its all good here in the Costa del Croydon papa , maybe its a local thing to Cornwall , you should get out more .

HDQQ

There have been periods of relative happiness. I was only young at the time, but the late 1960s seemed to be a generally happy time. People complained about Harold Wilson and his Labour government but I don't remember much extremism. There were the Aldermaston marches and seaside clashes between mods and rockers but that was about all. 

When the 1970's came along the big trade unions started causing major disruption. 

What we didn't have in those days was the internet, which has allowed people to get in touch with their nastier side. We sometimes see that on this forum but it's pretty generalised and for every public figure who gets in the news because they've received internet abuse, there's probably 1000 ordinary members of the public who've had the same experience.

Even on live web streams of natural events on YouTube, the chat is infested with trolls screaming hate and nonsense. It's everywhere.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 18, 2021, 05:34:35 AM
What nasty Nation ?  Everyday is another day in paradise . I guess the first 10 years of paying the mortgage were a bit of a slog but apart from that it could have been worse , a lot worse
The current divided and nasty nation, if you haven't noticed I suggest taking your blinkers off.

Streetwalker

What nasty Nation ?  Everyday is another day in paradise . I guess the first 10 years of paying the mortgage were a bit of a slog but apart from that it could have been worse , a lot worse 

papasmurf

Someone asked elsewhere when were the happy times in the past.
I can only answer from a personal point of view. Up until the start of the 1960s it was a happy time in the small village nestling in the midst of the Chiltern Hills. There was a doctors surgery, a post office/shop, a butchers, a bakery, a small general store and two pubs. Crime was next to non-existent.
Then new houses were built well out of the price range anyone local could buy. Worse some low rent property was knocked down in the process.
What I can only describe as "white flighters" moved it. The village went down hill fast after that.