Another Brexit Benefit!

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 21, 2021, 11:46:45 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 21, 2021, 12:24:22 PM
I wasn't expecting it.

It's probable a box wasn't ticked or a form wasn't included in the paperwork that accompanied the parcel and this is the result.

There is no appeal with Parcel Force, it's pay up or they ship you parcel back (and I have to argue with the Dutch supplier over refunds)

If device wasn't sufficiently "EU" (likely if large parts were made in China) to be covered under the UK/EU deal then it would be subject to "WTO" tariffs and charges.  Even if it was 100% EU, unless the paperwork to prove that is fully correct, it's subject to tariffs and in all cases the processing fee to decide the above is chargeable.

So this is 100% unequivocally a Brexit effect.

And it also shows why "it's just a few forms" was always the stupid person's answer.

But at least our fishermen and farmers are doing well out of Brexit.
Well what has this to do with the OP...
Just another bitter remain retort.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on October 21, 2021, 12:02:34 PM
Medical equipment imported from outside of the eu are not subject to duty or vat during the pandemic,I cannot see why they would from an eu country.
I wasn't expecting it.

It's probable a box wasn't ticked or a form wasn't included in the paperwork that accompanied the parcel and this is the result.

There is no appeal with Parcel Force, it's pay up or they ship you parcel back (and I have to argue with the Dutch supplier over refunds)

If device wasn't sufficiently "EU" (likely if large parts were made in China) to be covered under the UK/EU deal then it would be subject to "WTO" tariffs and charges.  Even if it was 100% EU, unless the paperwork to prove that is fully correct, it's subject to tariffs and in all cases the processing fee to decide the above is chargeable.

So this is 100% unequivocally a Brexit effect.

And it also shows why "it's just a few forms" was always the stupid person's answer.

But at least our fishermen and farmers are doing well out of Brexit.

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 21, 2021, 11:46:45 AM
Ordered a specific battery/power supply from the supplier in the Netherlands.

They were very helpful with the specifications and ensuring the unit would match the device it needed to supply.

Price, including shipping was a reasonable £230(E270), though they did warn it could take anything up to 3 weeks because of customs.

Anyway, a week later Parcel Force contact me and I need to pay fees, duties and taxes to a total of £69.37 on my £230 order.

A 30% increase in the cost of the item (which i can't buy from the UK).

And before anyone goes off on "it's not all about stuff etc etc" - this is a power supply to ensure a medical device continues to function during a power cut (something that seem to be more common recently, we've had 3 in the last month).  So not a frippery like the latest toy for a present or a Christmas turkey (all things we can apparently do without) but a thing to literally keep someone breathing.

This is worth remembering when Johnson made a big deal about the unprecedented "zero tariff, zero quota" deal he had struck with the EU.

It still means duties are charged and then costs for administering the paperwork are also charged.

Medical equipment imported from outside of the eu are not subject to duty or vat during the pandemic,I cannot see why they would from an eu country.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

BeElBeeBub

Ordered a specific battery/power supply from the supplier in the Netherlands.

They were very helpful with the specifications and ensuring the unit would match the device it needed to supply.

Price, including shipping was a reasonable £230(E270), though they did warn it could take anything up to 3 weeks because of customs.

Anyway, a week later Parcel Force contact me and I need to pay fees, duties and taxes to a total of £69.37 on my £230 order.

A 30% increase in the cost of the item (which i can't buy from the UK).

And before anyone goes off on "it's not all about stuff etc etc" - this is a power supply to ensure a medical device continues to function during a power cut (something that seem to be more common recently, we've had 3 in the last month).  So not a frippery like the latest toy for a present or a Christmas turkey (all things we can apparently do without) but a thing to literally keep someone breathing.

This is worth remembering when Johnson made a big deal about the unprecedented "zero tariff, zero quota" deal he had struck with the EU.

It still means duties are charged and then costs for administering the paperwork are also charged.