Another Brexit Benefit!

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 21, 2021, 11:46:45 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on October 23, 2021, 10:54:33 AMStrange how I can walk into Sainsbury's and get the same French wine and the same Danish Blue cheese that I've always been able to get.
Ah, but has the cost increased ?? I can still get all the food I want, but I always preferred the taste of Somerset Brie and Dorset Blue Vinnie .... but these are literally personal tastes... Some shelves are empty and I need to shop around a bit but we have not reached Soviet Russia queue status levels yet.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 23, 2021, 01:09:27 PMHow is it not credible
Not enough information has been supplied to form an opinion, refuses to state make model in case the story doesn't fit.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on October 23, 2021, 01:09:27 PM
How is it not credible, are you saying nobody in the UK buys from the EU online, are you saying there aren't customs paperwork to be completed and are you saying there is zero duties. Obviously the point being made is there is additional costs to now buy from the EU. This cost might also be seen in local retailers who source items from the EU.
How are the migrant crop pickers faring in the eu? 

Can they afford stuff in the eu? :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 22, 2021, 11:38:07 PM
No, it's because the post lacks any credibility whilst half the information is missing.
How is it not credible, are you saying nobody in the UK buys from the EU online, are you saying there aren't customs paperwork to be completed and are you saying there is zero duties. Obviously the point being made is there is additional costs to now buy from the EU. This cost might also be seen in local retailers who source items from the EU. 

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 23, 2021, 09:50:35 AMAll a bit too contrived to say "see this is what you voting leave has done" as I said in another post if I had to spend an extra £60 to keep someone breathing I wouldn't be going on the web moaning about it.

Strange how I can walk into Sainsbury's and get the same French wine and the same Danish Blue cheese that I've always been able to get.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on October 22, 2021, 11:38:07 PM
No, it's because the post lacks any credibility whilst half the information is missing.
Same as his previous offering a few months back about a water treatment  plant ( cess tank in back garden ?) tells you he's had outages no mention of length of time,replaced with a battery pack (from eu) no mention of how long that lasts.

A vague description of said equipment odd connectors he doesn't want to alter,there is a plethora of electronic sites and places in the UK I guess would supply all he needs.

All a bit too contrived to say "see this is what you voting leave has done" as I said in another post if I had to spend an extra £60 to keep someone breathing I wouldn't be going on the web moaning about it.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 22, 2021, 02:17:39 PM
They just want to debate what you bought and why you didn't just get it locally. And as you say the point been you can get it in Europe but now, post brexit, its more hastle and costs more.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 22, 2021, 01:15:24 PM
yes I am buying a 240v UPS (in essence). And yes it is being bought off the shelf.  I have looked at the 240v UPS's available in the UK (as in already in the UK) and none fot the bill.  An APC unit was trialed and that was unsatisfactory on a number of fronts.

After some refinement of the requirements a unit with the correct specs was found but the company was dutch, supplying out of the EU.  Pre-brexit that would be no problem.

Post brexit it is.

It's as simple as that - it really doesn't matter what I was actually buying - the fact is an item from the EU can now cost 30% more than it would have purely due to brexit.

I take it you're not going to give the make and model then? To be honest, without this information it's just an empty thread, same as when Pappy told of marauding tourists and empty shelves, only to have evidence presented to the contrary. 

GerryT

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 22, 2021, 01:15:24 PM
yes I am buying a 240v UPS (in essence). And yes it is being bought off the shelf.  I have looked at the 240v UPS's available in the UK (as in already in the UK) and none fot the bill.  An APC unit was trialed and that was unsatisfactory on a number of fronts.

After some refinement of the requirements a unit with the correct specs was found but the company was dutch, supplying out of the EU.  Pre-brexit that would be no problem.

Post brexit it is.

It's as simple as that - it really doesn't matter what I was actually buying - the fact is an item from the EU can now cost 30% more than it would have purely due to brexit.
They just want to debate what you bought and why you didn't just get it locally. And as you say the point been you can get it in Europe but now, post brexit, its more hastle and costs more.
Just an aside, I bought some instruments from the UK couple of months back, DHL did the shipping and "paperwork" and the 4k worth of kit had 1k charges. But when I got the breakdown this was 900e of VAT and the rest was charges for doing the customs paperwork/clearing. The VAT being Irish I could claim back as I'm VAT registered. It's worth checking in your case the breakdown of the charge, if it's mostly VAT you might be able to reclaim if your VAT registered.

T00ts

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 22, 2021, 01:30:14 PM
As I mentioned, a generator, whilst a valid option for your scenario, would not have been for mine.  Which is why i didn't buy a £80 generator from Aldi.

This isn't about the referendum, as you point out Remain lost and we have left the EU.

This is about holding those who made promises about "sunlit uplands", "the exact same benefits" etc to account.

You clearly are pissed off that you didn't get the brexit you imagined* - yet rather than go "shit, this isn't going well", you continue to make excuses for the very people who lied to you.

I suspect it's because if you admit that Johnson et al are untrustworthy and lied to you, you would also have to entertain the idea that they (and I use this in a looser sense to mean the anti-European movement) have always lied to you.

As I pointed out in another thread, the sorts of things that euroskeptics used to get worked up about and mutter about "meddling Brussels bureaucrats" are still happening.  Maybe a good number of the anti-EU movement's cause célèbre were always just the UK government scapegoating the EU for their own unpopular or botched policies.

In the same manner as "'Elf 'n Safety innit" (and latterly "Data Protection") are regularly trotted out as the reasons behind daft decisions.

When will we see the new Brexit slogan "We've left we will survive" on the side of a bus?:D

* although we were told all brexiters knew exactly what they were voting for, and they chose to place their faith in the hands of the morons at No10
I don't know anything about generators but I do take exception to your comments about those of us who voted for Brexit. We had over 40 years of gradually being wrapped in the spider's web that claims to be a free organisation. We were never going to extricate ourselves and fly away from that in a couple of years. We are still unravelling the knots while our dear 'friends' in the EU madly try to hold themselves together while devising new webs and knots to trap us. We will over time I am sure, break whatever strands are currently wrapped around us, because I doubt the EU could cope with a complete break. Too many are looking for their kiddies comfort blanket that the rest of us are trying to remove in order to get the child to mature and grow up, but like all babies they want to keep hold of it for fear of facing the grown up world.

We will succeed because enough of us are prepared to break new ground regardless of the constant carping about dishonesty in Government and boring imagined benefits of being a vassal in the EU. Cough up your 30% if you want to buy stuff from the EU or get out there and set up your own manufacture company.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on October 22, 2021, 09:51:40 AM
Right so you needed a power supply if your power supply went down,there are people in out of the way places that sometimes need the use of a generator often petrol or diesel.

They are in a weather proof well ventilated spot connected to a dwelling by a cable because of the emissions and noise.

Please quote the post where I suggested you use it indoors only a moron (to quote you) would come to that conclusion.

And here we are some years on from the referendum you lost....elections where the opportunity for a party which promised to obliterate brexit  and return to the fold was itself obliterated.......and you lost.

You haven't got the message,people didn't vote leave because of a slogan on the side of a bus or broad sunlit uplands or any of the other fantasy dreamed up.

We joined a common market,great idea but slowly and surreptitiously by successive treaties were entangled in to a federal Europe in all but name.

I remember being told before the vote that we were so entangled by rules and regulation we could not leave and survive,well obviously successive morons in no 10 had enabled that.

We've left we will survive you need to understand that get a  life and get over it.
As I mentioned, a generator, whilst a valid option for your scenario, would not have been for mine.  Which is why i didn't buy a £80 generator from Aldi.

This isn't about the referendum, as you point out Remain lost and we have left the EU.

This is about holding those who made promises about "sunlit uplands", "the exact same benefits" etc to account.

You clearly are pissed off that you didn't get the brexit you imagined* - yet rather than go "shit, this isn't going well", you continue to make excuses for the very people who lied to you.

I suspect it's because if you admit that Johnson et al are untrustworthy and lied to you, you would also have to entertain the idea that they (and I use this in a looser sense to mean the anti-European movement) have always lied to you.

As I pointed out in another thread, the sorts of things that euroskeptics used to get worked up about and mutter about "meddling Brussels bureaucrats" are still happening.  Maybe a good number of the anti-EU movement's cause célèbre were always just the UK government scapegoating the EU for their own unpopular or botched policies.

In the same manner as "'Elf 'n Safety innit" (and latterly "Data Protection") are regularly trotted out as the reasons behind daft decisions.

When will we see the new Brexit slogan "We've left we will survive" on the side of a bus?:D

* although we were told all brexiters knew exactly what they were voting for, and they chose to place their faith in the hands of the morons at No10 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on October 22, 2021, 10:54:54 AM
You are being deliberately vague about what you're buying cause you know your Brexit bashing will be shot down.

You're basically buying a 250V UPS, which can be bought off the shelf.

As for me not being technical, I studied electronics and own an Automation company.
I think it's you that need a lesson as you're the one using equipment that has a single point of failure to keep people alive. Sounds like a plan to me.

After some refinement of the requirements a unit with the correct specs was found but the company was dutch, supplying out of the EU.   Pre-brexit that would be no problem.

Post brexit it is. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 21, 2021, 11:46:12 PM
I really hope you didn't have a technical job 'cos you must have been crap at it.

The medical device takes 24v and consumes upto 100w. This 24v power is supplied by a PSU similar to the ones you get for laptops (or for £25 off Amazon) that takes between 110 and 240v AC and converts it to the 24v DC.

Whilst I could have sourced a system that output 24v, the connector would have been an issue as well as the manufacturer of the device only warranting it for use with the supplied (AC to DC) PSU.

The other option, that I decided on, was to provide an uninterrupted 240v AC supply to the OEM AC to DC PSU.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if I was buying a novelty big mouth Billy bass toy. The fact of the matter is I am laying ⅓ more for something I could have got with no extra charges and probably next day delivered.prior to your precious brexit.

You are being deliberately vague about what you're buying cause you know your Brexit bashing will be shot down. 

You're basically buying a 250V UPS, which can be bought off the shelf. 

As for me not being technical, I studied electronics and own an Automation company. 
I think it's you that need a lesson as you're the one using equipment that has a single point of failure to keep people alive. Sounds like a plan to me. 

Barry

Rishi needs a lot of £69.37p payments into HMRC to pay for his rather huge splurge he's thrown in the last 18 months.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 22, 2021, 09:26:20 AM
I'm sure.some here have plenty of knowledge, just not the ones suggesting petrol generators indoors.

The requirements have not varied, but people seem to be in a rush to mis-understand them - to be fair I didn't publish a technical document I just answered the questions as they were asked so some confusions is understandable.

Mains powered devices using PSU's to provide low the low voltage DC they use is not an uncommon arrangement. If you are.using a lap top you will be familiar with the idea.

As for the power cuts, what can I say. The fact you haven't had any power cuts recently is not evidence that power cuts don't happen. You are aware of the phenomenon of local power cuts I presume?

£70 has been paid and the part will (parcel force willing).arrive. but it's £70 that I wouldn't have had to pay previously.

Likewise with the other part, it arrived but only after trouble and paperwork that wouldn't have happened previously

And again with roaming charges - yes, i'll have to pay more if I ever get to go skiing in the near future. Another cost that I wouldn't have had to pay previously.

So far we have a bunch of extra hassle and costs, and let's not forget we were assured these costs wouldn't happen, and for what?

What things have got cheaper and easier under brexit? Is there less red tape? Nope, there's more.

Is food cheaper- nope and there is now less choice

What about those trade deals? - so far only 3 that we didn't have already, none are finalised (only agreed in principle) and none add any significant GDP (the NZ one is projected to add zero GDP and may even reduce it).

We were told brexit was done, it was an oven ready fantastic deal. Now we're being told it's still not done and we've got lots of negotiations still to come.

I have previously stated (and stand by) that I'd happily be wrong if I got to live in the "sunlit uplands" Leave promised.

So where are they?
Right so you needed a power supply if your power supply went down,there are people in out of the way places that sometimes need the use of a generator often petrol or diesel.

They are in a weather proof well ventilated spot connected to a dwelling by a cable because of the emissions and noise.

Please quote the post where I suggested you use it indoors only a moron (to quote you) would come to that conclusion.

And here we are some years on from the referendum you lost....elections where the opportunity for a party which promised to obliterate brexit  and return to the fold was itself obliterated.......and you lost.

You haven't got the message,people didn't vote leave because of a slogan on the side of a bus or broad sunlit uplands or any of the other fantasy dreamed up.

We joined a common market,great idea but slowly and surreptitiously by successive treaties were entangled in to a federal Europe in all but name.

I remember being told before the vote that we were so entangled by rules and regulation we could not leave and survive,well obviously successive morons in no 10 had enabled that.

We've left we will survive you need to understand that get a  life and get over it.