Another Brexit Benefit!

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 21, 2021, 11:46:45 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on October 21, 2021, 07:40:38 PM

I assume you were joking about using a crappy 2stroke generator (not silent, not automatic, not sine wave, not indoors) as only an utter moron would think that was a viable alternative.;D

The ones I was looking at on Amazon the other day were sine wave and indoors.
Possibly automatic cut in is available too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=generator&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Like you I used to use UPS on my computers. That gave me about 9 hours of extended up time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEAUDENS-Portable-Generator-Phosphate-Emergency/dp/B07MC7TV2G/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=generator&qid=1639828320&sr=8-5

This should sort you out.
Just leave it plugged in between the wall and your critical device.

Too late now I suspect.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 16, 2021, 10:05:36 PM
They charge us so we will charge them, typical petty actions from the EU, proving even more why it was the right thing to get out.

But WILL we

My experience so far is that the UK has allowed "transitional" arrangements to persist, that changes imposed on UK lorry drivers travelling to the EU are NOT reciprocated and we all know the buggers enjoyed 40 years of road tax free use of our roads as a cheap land bridge to Eire.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on December 16, 2021, 02:20:58 PM
Here's another great benefit from Brexit!!! Van drivers will soon need an operator's licence to take a light van into the EU, which will be a bargain at £658! And even better news, renewal for 5 years will only cost £401. So at last we will be able to say goodbye to the bad old days, a remnant from our EU membership, when there was no fee and no need for an operator's licence.Rant

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/16/van-drivers-in-uk-operating-licences-eu-brexit

Please, someone - explain how this is an improvement over the current situation.

Mod edit Barry - to add the last line (you accidentally quoted instead of edited.)
They charge us so we will charge them, typical petty actions from the EU, proving even more why it was the right thing to get out.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on December 16, 2021, 05:54:50 PM
Freedom is priceless Duckie. And if you can be bought for 131.60 pounds, well, maybe your New Year's resolution should be not to be such a sad little bugger.
Priceless indeed Borky,to have sovereignty free from Brussels bureaucracy the remainers do not seem to appreciate.

I'm afraid we have too many politicians who treat their country like some clapped out old harlot they will sell for whatever its worth which they do not estimate very high.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on December 16, 2021, 05:28:02 PM
I don't quite get the 'freedom' bit though. It's a myth - unless freedom to be charged hundreds of pounds to do something that was previously free counts.

Freedom is priceless Duckie. And if you can be bought for 131.60 pounds, well, maybe your New Year's resolution should be not to be such a sad little bugger.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Here's another great benefit from Brexit!!! Van drivers will soon need an operator's licence to take a light van into the EU, which will be a bargain at £658! And even better news, renewal for 5 years will only cost £401. So at last we will be able to say goodbye to the bad old days, a remnant from our EU membership, when there was no fee and no need for an operator's licence.Rant

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/16/van-drivers-in-uk-operating-licences-eu-brexit

Please, someone - explain how this is an improvement over the current situation.

Mod edit Barry - to add the last line (you accidentally quoted instead of edited.)
I think its wonderful

Indeed I think it is so wonderful that we should immediately impose a fee five times that on the European scum trying to drive such vehicles in the UK, and triple the application time, to keep our roads clear of such European riff raff.

After all, most of such already here in Newport are irish dog thieves, Vietnamese illegals growing Ganga in abandoned repoed houses up the road, and Romanian child abductors ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

It will deter day trippers going over to fill the van up for a party for sure . Regular travellers for whatever reason will see this as a tax deductible overhead .

Not a problem for most then , hope we are doing something similar .

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on December 16, 2021, 02:52:20 PM
Which works out at 131.60 pounds a year. A small price for freedom, although I don't know how Pappy will take it. Apparently the fee applies to caravans as well as vans
I don't quite get the 'freedom' bit though. It's a myth - unless freedom to be charged hundreds of pounds to do something that was previously free counts.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Which works out at 131.60 pounds a year. A small price for freedom, although I don't know how Pappy will take it. Apparently the fee applies to caravans as well as vans
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: Javert on October 23, 2021, 02:43:07 PM
The point that a lot of this misses is that if the current effects of Brexit had been openly stated by the leave campaign during the original referendum, and they had argued, as many argue now, that the beneficial effects will only be in the very long term, they would have most certainly lost.
(Good to see you back posting javert by the way.)

Javert , with respect this statement just sounds like  yet another petulant whinge.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing , but the fact remains you lost the 2016 referendum not because of what brexiters did or didnt do , but because remainers like you didnt and dont understand people and those running the remain campaign in England had a severe lack of imagination.

You need to move on as we scots have , and start looking for new ways to end brexit going forward , not constantly rake over the coals of the 2016 referendum constantly saying what if  , while bleating about lies and cheating and  ommissions.

Until you get over your loss in 2016 , you wont ever be able to move forward .

People dont like bad losers . Told you that time and again.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

The point that a lot of this misses is that if the current effects of Brexit had been openly stated by the leave campaign during the original referendum, and they had argued, as many argue now, that the beneficial effects will only be in the very long term, they would have most certainly lost.
But the job of an advocate is to highlight favourable and positive points. Unfortunately during the Brexit campaign, the Remain side concentrated only on the negatives of leaving — not what people want to hear — which was bizarre considering the referendum was brought in by a former professional public relations practitioner. 

It's constant tub thumping optimism — despite current problems — that's keeping the PM and administration ahead in the opinion polls now...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Well apart from disputing some the effects,if bliar was known to lie over wmd's and the Iraq  war he probably wouldn't have been elected,if Thatcher hadn't had the Falklands war probably the same and too many others to list.

If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its arse so often,if I knew yesterday what I know today I'd have won the euro millions jackpot, too many ifs Javert.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Javert