Brussels Bureaucracy gone mad!

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 21, 2021, 11:55:05 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 26, 2021, 11:41:59 AM
This is actually more to do with government proposals initiated by the Blue Clown Brunstrom to ensure Big Brother has his eye on your car or bike at all times.
The problem with the proposals is it does not take into account any car, lorry, or motorcycle is an assembly of parts from all over the world. My "Japanese" car was assembled in Poland. It has parts made in Germany, Japan, Taiwan, France and many other countries in it.

I recently had to get a starter motor on my "German" motorcycle repaired, the parts needed were made by Nippon-Denso. (As was the factory installed original starter motor.)
Brembo brakes are fitted to many cars and motorcycles.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

This is actually more to do with government proposals initiated by the Blue Clown Brunstrom to ensure Big Brother has his eye on your car or bike at all times.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

There are two sides to this.

Firstly, as I always said, even if we left the EU we'd still have to abide by its rules but we'd no longer have any say in making those rules.

Secondly - as far as modifying motorcycles, that usually involves making them noisier. So on this topic our "newly independent" (ha-ha!) government should be ahead of the EU by imposing even stricter regulations!! Not just on motorbikes but on cars too - especially now that the latest boy racer craze is to fit backfiring devices to their exhausts.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2021, 08:36:21 PMThe difference is that we now make our own rules, being autonomous. Union Flag

and as the boot came down to stamp upon his face again, he looked up and gave a heartfelt smile, for its heel he saw the words 'Made In Britain'.
Don't believe everything you think.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2021, 08:36:21 PM
The difference is that we now make our own rules, being autonomous. Union Flag

Even Michel Barnier is calling for France to regain its sovereignty!
So the same or similar proposals made via the EU route (remover the UK could and did intitiate proposals like this) are intrinsically worse than proposals direct from Westminster?

That very much sounds like the entity proposing something is more important than the proposal itself.

Let's not forget that in past time the UK government would make a proposal and then defend it as "the nasty EU made us do it" when it had nothing to do with the EU.

The iconic blue passports being a case in point, nothing prevented the UK from having blue passports before brexit.

Barry

The difference is that we now make our own rules, being autonomous. Union Flag

Even Michel Barnier is calling for France to regain its sovereignty!
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2021, 04:08:55 PM
It seems reasonable that any motor vehicle sold with a type approval certificate, which they all are, should be mainatined in a way that does not adversely affect the standards of safety, or of emissions.
If it stops people putting noisier exhausts on their bikes, that would also be a plus.

Nothing to do with Brussels of course.
I made no judgement on the reasonableness of such a move. 

You make sound arguments for it.  I would also add that as we move towards an age of autonomous and ultra low emission vehicles the question of modifications starts to become more pressing.

However, my main point was this is *exactly* the sort of proposal that would have (and has) had Eurosceptics (which I believe you would class yourself as) foaming at the mouth at "Meddling Brussels bureaucrats !"

For example here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199311/Millions-modified-classic-cars-banned-roads-meddling-European-Union-try-shake-MOT-rules.html

it even starts with the words  "Meddling Brussels bureaucrats..."

yet presented to you now, you consider it and make a case as to why it's not such a bad idea.

Like many policy proposals, both from Westminster and Brussels, it is probably a well meaning idea with reasonable goals whose success will depend on the detail of the legislation 

But over the years, many such proposals and regulations have been portrayed as "Meddling Brussels bureaucrats" for "clicks" (or the print equivalent). Indeed, a Brussels corespondent for a major British newspaper carved out a lucrative career inventing preposterous myths about European regulations.  I wonder what happened to him.  

Barry

It seems reasonable that any motor vehicle sold with a type approval certificate, which they all are, should be mainatined in a way that does not adversely affect the standards of safety, or of emissions.
If it stops people putting noisier exhausts on their bikes, that would also be a plus.

Nothing to do with Brussels of course.
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Modifying your bike could be made illegal: New plans that could make fitting non-OEM parts a crime

This is the kind of story that would have made "Eurocrats BAN XXX" headlines a few years ago, with the desire to ban "fun" (in this case motorcycle parts) framed as an unnecessary Continental restriction on British liberties etc etc. 

It's interesting to see these "diktats" (as they would no doubt have been called) still emerging even though we are no longer in the EU.

It's almost as if these examples of  "unnecessary red tape" were actually stemming from the UK government and Brussels was just a convenient scapegoat, much like "Health and Safety" or "data protection" are commonly invoked as a reason for not doing things that the person or organisation doesn't really want to do in the first place.