Bob the billionaire.

Started by Nalaar, October 21, 2021, 11:09:36 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on October 24, 2021, 08:38:15 AMdefer your opinion to that judgment.
I'm not deferring anything, your OP starts with the word OFFER. It all comes down to free will, just cause an option is available you  don't have to take it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2021, 11:09:36 PM
The scenario is such;

Bob is a billionaire.
Bob is white.
Bob is a racist.

Bob makes the following offer to all non-white citizens in his country aged 18-30 - If they prove themselves to be sound of mind via a psychiatric evaluation, and they agree to be irreversibly sterilised (all paid for by Bob) then he will award them a £100,000 lump sum payment.

Should this be legal, or illegal?
To go back to your OP - would it currently be illegal? It is such an outlandish notion that I wonder if it is even covered by a current law but since it amounts to ethnic cleansing then perhaps it is covered at a world level.  Would Bob go right through the male population or just stop at the over 18s? Bob might have trouble covering his debt. Dancing Poor chap.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 24, 2021, 08:38:15 AM
No. I would not stop any of the listed examples. As far as I'm concerned someone is entitled to risk their life, or indeed guarantee their death if that's what they want.

Are you also of the same mind? It would seem not based on your repeated references to boards/governments deciding what is allowed or not that you defer your opinion to that judgment.
Am I reading you right? Are you of the opinion that each individual should have complete autonomy? Now as one who understands the concept of free will within religious bounds it might seem strange that I question your post. Since we all live within a social scheme there comes a point where certain limits have to be maintained for the general good. Rules are devised by society which has chosen laws and governments and as such we have certain standards that most accept. Having said that of course we all can disobey/ignore them and accept judgement by society if not the law. If boxing etc is legal then  for two people to punch the living daylights out of each other is deemed socially acceptable. Personally I loathe it but far be it for me to dictate to others within the bounds of that generally accepted law.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on October 24, 2021, 07:55:59 AM
Are you going to stop...

No. I would not stop any of the listed examples. As far as I'm concerned someone is entitled to risk their life, or indeed guarantee their death if that's what they want. 

Are you also of the same mind? It would seem not based on your repeated references to boards/governments deciding what is allowed or not that you defer your opinion to that judgment. 
Don't believe everything you think.

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 06:07:35 PM
Does this mean that your okay with it *because* it has been agreed by committee/board? Is your personal opinion dependent on that of the board?
Are you going to stop the IOMTT? People doing parachute jumps for charity? Army doing live exercises?
They're all dangerous and people get killed, but the above all fit within a system that has been put into place by an elected government.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on October 23, 2021, 06:04:14 PM
No. They are assessed by the Boxing Board of Control and given a license based on their evaluation.

Does this mean that your okay with it *because* it has been agreed by committee/board? Is your personal opinion dependent on that of the board?

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 12:40:36 PMa yes or no will do
No. They are assessed by the Boxing Board of Control and given a license based on their evaluation.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 12:40:36 PMI'm just asking for your opinion on whether boxing should be illegal, a yes or no will do.
But it's not a straight yes no answer is it. If you ask "should a person over the age of majority and competent in the legal sense be allowed to take money in payment for risking life and limb" my answer is yes. But the decision and responsibility has to be theirs. And I remain far from convinced this is a straight and simple question.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 23, 2021, 01:08:41 PM
I gave an opinion,this isn't the yes no interlude.
I made my thinking clear that will have to do. :)
No worries. Thanks for your replies. 

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 12:40:36 PM
I'm just asking for your opinion on whether boxing should be illegal, a yes or no will do.
I gave an opinion,this isn't the yes no interlude.
I made my thinking clear that will have to do. :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

I'm just asking for your opinion on whether boxing should be illegal, a yes or no will do.

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 12:17:14 PM
That's why i asked you the question.
Are you okay with boxing given the harm that is caused, or should it also be illegal?
I don't watch boxing and tbh I find the reactions of the crowd especially women at best odd delighting in somebody being battered.

Does boxing cause harm? Well looking at people like Ali and those with early onset dementia I would say yes.

It appears heading a football does the same,there are also plenty of other sports where you risk life and limb........rock climbing,pot holing and motor racing ,there are many others but you cannot ban people taking risks in sport.

Cannibalism is not a sport though why I have to explain that!

The medical profession have for years warned of the dangers of boxing,it's down to parliament isn't it?

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 23, 2021, 12:06:38 PM
Did I say that?
I think you'll find not,what I said was this
So please quote where I said it's fine.
That's why i asked you the question.
Are you okay with boxing given the harm that is caused, or should it also be illegal?

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2021, 11:09:36 PM
The scenario is such;

Bob is a billionaire.
Bob is white.
Bob is a racist.

Bob makes the following offer to all non-white citizens in his country aged 18-30 - If they prove themselves to be sound of mind via a psychiatric evaluation, and they agree to be irreversibly sterilised (all paid for by Bob) then he will award them a £100,000 lump sum payment.

Should this be legal, or illegal?

Sounds ok, although I reckon it should be extended to white 40 year olds.My children didn't arrive until I was in my thirties and as I have said before, I have done drugs and I have done drink, but nothing costs so much as kids. So £100,000 would have come in useful.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2021, 12:01:56 PM
So you're fine with harm being caused as long as it's designated a sport?
That's a fairly big caveat on "I don't give a rats bottom what people do in private, so long as it harms no one"
Did I say that?
I think you'll find not,what I said was this 

QuoteBoxing is at this time a recognised sport
So please quote where I said it's fine.