Rishi looks risky

Started by T00ts, October 26, 2021, 08:36:08 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 27, 2021, 02:46:47 PM
I don't pay that much attention any more, but in past years when I did, I found you needed to download dissect the whole thing to get the truth, which was usylusllybthelat the headline concealed some underhand back passage skulduggery.
For some reason my brain translated that as "just the usual bullshit". It still doesn't quite make sense, but that's not unusual here, so I skimmed over it...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on October 28, 2021, 11:06:25 AM
I agree with your main point but still struggling to figure out what this means.

Is it perchance some form of Mongolian dialect? Or perhaps a secret code?
I bet it was that auto spell check, Steve, it started off as usyluslualybthelat but spell check corrected it to usylusllybthelat. ;)
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 27, 2021, 02:46:47 PMusylusllybthelat
I agree with your main point but still struggling to figure out what this means.

Is it perchance some form of Mongolian dialect? Or perhaps a secret code?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 27, 2021, 02:46:47 PM
I don't pay that much attention any more, but in past years when I did, I found you needed to download dissect the whole thing to get the truth, which was usylusllybthelat the headline concealed some underhand back passage skulduggery.

Usually on the part of the public John. By and large folk want the best in healthcare, schooling, policing etc and then squeal like stuck pigs when they get the bill.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 27, 2021, 02:15:10 PMI really don't know quite what to make of that budget.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 27, 2021, 02:15:10 PM
I really don't know quite what to make of that budget.

A very rough calculation suggests tax increases of 0.3% or 3p in every ten pounds, which is sod all. Even so, I reckon half the board will complain that they are being bleed dry.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Well Rishi has been spouting for about 20 mins and I have lost count of the millions he has promised so far. I am reminded of the saying 'don't worry about the quality feel the width'. 

I am very concerned that he is a car salesman (another Blair clone as far as speech delivery goes). He has yet to start listing how it will all be paid for.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 26, 2021, 08:36:08 PMI can't help but feel that Rishi is looking like a risk. Apart from angering the Speaker of the House by leaking details of the budget to the media he is just a bit slippery for me and I am not absolutely sure why. The details on his budget I have read so far seem odd. He has muttered about having spent so much during Covid but seems to be letting rip with inflationary measures.  Perhaps when we get the whole package and not just the giveaways, the mood will be different but if I'm honest I am already sick of the photo opportunity shindigs and the manoeuvres to make him look like future PM material. I don't think he would get my vote.
For the last forty years and probably for the last four hundred, the budget has been a case of leaking something at least three times worse than what you plan, to stir up a reaction, so you know how the thing you really plan will be received when the public say thank f*** it wasn't as bad as the papers said 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on October 26, 2021, 11:08:56 PM
They have an 80 seat majority. They can enact what they like.
Even their ridiculous net zero policy, so stop making excuses for them.

I think we could see:
VAT up, especially on luxury items.
Basic rate income tax up.
Booze and fags up
VAT on gas and electricity removed?

He's already robbed our pensions. We'll never get that 5% deficit back.

Sounds about right.

I am not too sure about knocking the VAT off gas and lecky, but some sort of bung will have to be given to the oldies.

Roll on Thursay night. At least we will have something to talk about
Algerie Francais !

Barry

They have an 80 seat majority. They can enact what they like.
Even their ridiculous net zero policy, so stop making excuses for them.

I think the budget MUST try to claw back some of the ill advised and badly spent virus money. I've lost count of how much they spent, and they are still throwing money at it.

I think we could see:
VAT up, especially on luxury items.
Basic rate income tax up.
Booze and fags up
VAT on gas and electricity removed?

He's already robbed our pensions. We'll never get that 5% deficit back.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 26, 2021, 10:06:15 PM
The leaking of the NHS bits on Monday, and more today is really getting the Speaker riled up and it is wrong. I really hate this announcement by leaks and nudges. We have had 18 months or more of nudge, leak, u-turn, react, u-turn and then settle on a policy for 4 weeks. It's like the hokey cokey on steroids.
The Tories are making it all up as they go along. Non Tory policies, nothing in their manifesto, they've completely lost the plot.

I can wait till Thursday, but reckon there will be no surprises as it will all have been leaked. Are these leaks coming from politicians or civil servants?

They've lost me.
I agree that the leaks are more than annoying and I hope the Speaker drags Rishi in to explain himself since it all happening under his watch as much as BJ's. As far as the manifesto is concerned I think it is unreasonable to expect the manifesto to be followed religiously considering what has happened over the last 18 months or so. I am sure any political party would have to be flying by the seat of their pants as things stand. It is after all a bit of a perfect storm in terms of still trying to extricate ourselves from the EU with the NI problems, France trying to look as it they have any guts at all and the economic recovery worry. I feel we have to cut them a bit of slack but general incompetence in terms of planning and keeping all the balls in the air is a worry. 

Barry

The leaking of the NHS bits on Monday, and more today is really getting the Speaker riled up and it is wrong. I really hate this announcement by leaks and nudges. We have had 18 months or more of nudge, leak, u-turn, react, u-turn and then settle on a policy for 4 weeks. It's like the hokey cokey on steroids.
The Tories are making it all up as they go along. Non Tory policies, nothing in their manifesto, they've completely lost the plot.

I can wait till Thursday, but reckon there will be no surprises as it will all have been leaked. Are these leaks coming from politicians or civil servants?

They've lost me. 
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on October 26, 2021, 09:29:00 PMThere is no way Rishi can come up with a constructive budget. Folk will bellyache whatever he does. So he will go after the softest targets. Probably the unemployed. No one gives a toss about them and they are unlikely to vote Tory anyway
Such assumptions are too simplistic. The Tories have gained the support of millions of working class voters. Some of these have experienced unemployment in the past and do not all by into the feckless scrounger narrative. Some might well be unemployed themselves. I personally know unemployed people who voted Tory. Most of the unemployed are only temporarily so between jobs, especially at the working class level. There is a lot of churn in the figures. Targetting anyone based upon simplistic assumptions is dangerous. Besides, how will reducing their pitiful incomes still further help them to find work? It will simply end up with more people on the streets, which in the end will cost society more than it saves.

Kneejerk emoting against those you don't like - masquerading as thinking - is unlikely to do anything other than make matters worse.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.