Conservative no longer?

Started by T00ts, October 30, 2021, 09:13:38 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 04, 2021, 07:06:04 PM
How sad that we are where we are,it's said like many institutions we've got the govt we deserve......none of us deserve the dearth of truly honourable members in places of true power.

We really do need reform,fewer mp's paid more but barred from outside interests might be a start and a second chamber fit for purpose not nhabited  by some more interested in signing in then out and a cheap bar with food at subsidised prices too.
What we most fundamentally need is PR so that we are not forced into a binary choice between two versions of the same rubbish just to make our votes count.

Both main party leaderships fear PR, as their only hope of attaining a majority with the support of a minority is the status quo.

Starmer and his acolytes at best command the enthusiastic backing of no more than 20 percent of the electorate, mostly affluent metropolitan middle class liberals who have benefitted from - and bought entirely into - the economic status quo, yet imagine themselves to be progressives due to theor woke obsessions. For the rest of the votes needed Starmer and co are relying upon a horde of people who feel their only course is to vote for the lesser of two evils to make their vote count. As such they are relying on a Tory collapse and winning themselves by default.

The only chance for meaningful change is to destroy New Labour as any kind of force in politics which will require a devastating Labour defeat, one so desperate that even they are forced to embrace electoral reform. And then we have to build a coalition  of support for it. Only once such reform is delivered can we get what we truly vote for and make all our votes count.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 06:03:32 PM
The Tories under Boris appear to have morphed into an updated version of New Labour.......which leaves Labour, still trying to rehash the 1997 version as if nothing has changed, somewhat out in the cold.

But where is the political choice here? Which cheek of the same arse do we vote for? Do we vote for Tweedle? Or do we vote for Dee? Or must we make a tactical decision to vote for Dumb?
How sad that we are where we are,it's said like many institutions we've got the govt we deserve......none of us deserve the dearth of truly honourable members in places of true power.

We really do need reform,fewer mp's paid more but barred from outside interests might be a start and a second chamber fit for purpose not nhabited  by some more interested in signing in then out and a cheap bar with food at subsidised prices too.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

The Tories under Boris appear to have morphed into an updated version of New Labour.......which leaves Labour, still trying to rehash the 1997 version as if nothing has changed, somewhat out in the cold.

But where is the political choice here? Which cheek of the same arse do we vote for? Do we vote for Tweedle? Or do we vote for Dee? Or must we make a tactical decision to vote for Dumb?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 31, 2021, 04:59:24 PM
Some of it did.

I remember the delights f being one of only two owner occupiers on our estate of sixty houses who were not repossesed as interest rates went through 17%, and the reason Boris will never breach the Rhumney and Rhondda valleys is the way communities were left to die when the bitch shut down our industries wholesale.

Not a bad bunch in the valleys, but easily cowed.

I remember interest rates going sky high (we had a very dodgy endowment policy to match the actual mortgage) and the council sent round a letter suggesting that we might like to sell the property back to the council. I am sure they meant well, but I was one of the few who did not tell the Town Hall where it could shove its offer. I did tell a chap from the Housing Dept that it was not a matter of money but that I could not afford to go back to being a council tenant. I don't think he really understood what I was talking about, but there you are.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 01:28:34 PM
The country also did well out of Mrs Thatcher's premiership. 
Some of it did.

I remember the delights f being one of only two owner occupiers on our estate of sixty houses who were not repossesed as interest rates went through 17%, and the reason Boris will never breach the Rhumney and Rhondda valleys is the way communities were left to die when the bitch shut down our industries wholesale.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 01:37:06 PM
The Conservative Party has the benefit of being fundamentally pragmatic and adaptable. But it has its Tunbridge Wells Col Blimps and blue-rinses, and matrons with a fickle "niceness" among its professed supporters — a number of these flirted with Farage's Ukip as a decent aspect of a BNP position...
You know I have yet to meet any woman with a blue rinse beyond the age of about 25, as well as bright pink, green and purple. Dancing Dancing

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 01:28:34 PM
The country also did well out of Mrs Thatcher's premiership. 

But Dennis was already wealthy when he married Margaret, and he funded her training as a barrister. A for the twins, Mark and Carol, they have both benefited from their parents — though Mark possibly over traded on his mother's position — and hopefully our two will get some benefit from having Mrs P and I as their parents so I see nothing wrong in principle...
Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 01:37:06 PM
The Conservative Party has the benefit of being fundamentally pragmatic and adaptable. But it has its Tunbridge Wells Col Blimps and blue-rinses, and matrons with a fickle "niceness" among its professed supporters — a number of these flirted with Farage's Ukip as a decent aspect of a BNP position...

Will your two inherit your sarcasm?

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 31, 2021, 12:18:55 PM
The mistake here is the assumption that things will a stay the same. What is seen currently by some as a loss of Conservative values is just a veneer. The core Conservative vote remains the same and believe it or not so is the bulk of Conservative parliamentary representation.

Yes I agree that Covid and Climate change and possibly Carrie Johnson are leading BJ by the nose but it won't last. I thought the grey suits would already be gathering a while back and I feel confident that there is a certain amount of discomfort but BJ won't be given his head indefinitely. At present they are fairly sure that he will win an election but the minute that shine starts to fade they will wield the axe. Their problem is that there is no clear front runner to take over the leadership. Rishi for all his PR gloss is already fading and Truss who is also batting possibly won't be strong enough.

This is not the time for true Conservatives to abandon ship. If they want a voice then use it to influence the Party. 
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 31, 2021, 12:03:58 PM
Dennis and Mark did rather well out of her premiership .....
The country also did well out of Mrs Thatcher's premiership.   

But Dennis was already wealthy when he married Margaret, and he funded her training as a barrister. A for the twins, Mark and Carol, they have both benefited from their parents — though Mark possibly over traded on his mother's position — and hopefully our two will get some benefit from having Mrs P and I as their parents so I see nothing wrong in principle...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

The mistake here is the assumption that things will a stay the same. What is seen currently by some as a loss of Conservative values is just a veneer. The core Conservative vote remains the same and believe it or not so is the bulk of Conservative parliamentary representation.

Yes I agree that Covid and Climate change and possibly Carrie Johnson are leading BJ by the nose but it won't last. I thought the grey suits would already be gathering a while back and I feel confident that there is a certain amount of discomfort but BJ won't be given his head indefinitely. At present they are fairly sure that he will win an election but the minute that shine starts to fade they will wield the axe. Their problem is that there is no clear front runner to take over the leadership. Rishi for all his PR gloss is already fading and Truss who is also batting possibly won't be strong enough. 

This is not the time for true Conservatives to abandon ship. If they want a voice then use it to influence the Party.  

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 31, 2021, 12:03:58 PM
Is that someone burmahing sorry murmuring at the back. ;)

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2021, 10:24:08 AM
Then there is the contracts awarded during the virus crisis, which was mostly self imposed. The contracts awarded to their already rich friends, with the excuse it had to be done in a rush. The money that has been thrown around. Putting people on furlough and still paying them if they got another job.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2021, 10:56:30 PM
They are a total shower of shyte in the House of Commons.
Which begs the question, which colour of shyte would you want to vote for to be mixed in with your cake?
None.
Borchester will vote for Boris because he's an interesting clown. T00ts will vote Tory as I would imagine she has never voted any other way?
Goodness knows who me and Streetwalker can vote for - maybe Richard Tice and his lot will get their act together. I'd vote for him any day of the week.

That pretty much sums it up for me. They are all arseholes and in my opinion Boris is somewhat less of an arsehole than the rest. So I will hold my nose and vote for him next time.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

I think this is a fairly common refrain - Liberals don't think the liberal parties are liberal enough, conservatives don't think the conservative party is conservative enough.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 30, 2021, 07:43:28 PM
They have lost their way and are pissing in the wind .

Having said that Labour  don't know where their way is and are  pissing into the wind and the limp dems dont know where their zip is
They are a total shower of shyte in the House of Commons.
Which begs the question, which colour of shyte would you want to vote for to be mixed in with your cake?
None.
Borchester will vote for Boris because he's an interesting clown. T00ts will vote Tory as I would imagine she has never voted any other way?
Goodness knows who me and Streetwalker can vote for - maybe Richard Tice and his lot will get their act together. I'd vote for him any day of the week.
† The end is nigh †