Main Menu

Cornish fishermen.

Started by cromwell, October 31, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 01, 2021, 03:36:00 PM
Yes they do and given the opportunity will,just because you are still living in the 1970's doesn't mean everybody else is.

There is a wide range of food available and peoples tastes have changed even if yours hasn't I first ate Dover sole decades ago there is an alternative they used to ship to the continent and are renaming it Cornish sole to appeal to the Brits,the idea this could be a success is an anathema to you because you have it fixed in your head brexit must fail and any successes and you will probably have an apoplectic fit.

Cromwell, in general British people don't eat fish. There no market in Britain for the 95% that can no longer be exported to the EU. That is fact nothing to do with your wrong mindset about me. (Frankly British food in the 1970s was crap.)

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-10-04/majority-of-britons-not-eating-enough-fish-survey-finds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/food/2012/03/why-dont-we-like-fish.shtml
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/food-drink/2021/09/britain-is-surrounded-by-fish-so-why-do-we-eat-so-little-of-it
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2021, 12:02:58 PMIt is a cultural thing, if it isn't lagged in batter and served with chips in general the British just don't eat fish. Market for it is miniscule.
That is why the local disaster after Brexit, 95 tonnes out of a 100 tonnes exported before Brexit, now no or next to no exports.
The is just no the local/national demand for fresh fish, shellfish, bivalve molluscs.
Just because a few outlets are selling them does not mean all is well because it isn't.
Yes they do and given the opportunity will,just because you are still living in the 1970's doesn't mean everybody else is.

There is a wide range of food available and peoples tastes have changed even if yours hasn't I first ate Dover sole decades ago there is an alternative they used to ship to the continent and are renaming it Cornish sole to appeal to the Brits,the idea this could be a success is an anathema to you because you have it fixed in your head brexit must fail and any successes and you will probably have an apoplectic fit.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 01, 2021, 11:49:38 AM

By the way, what's stopping the British public eating bivalve molluscs ?

It is a cultural thing, if it isn't lagged in batter and served with chips in general the British just don't eat fish. Market for it is miniscule. 
That is why the local disaster after Brexit, 95 tonnes out of a 100 tonnes exported before Brexit, now no or next to no exports.
The is just no the local/national demand for fresh fish, shellfish, bivalve molluscs.
Just because a few outlets are selling them does not mean all is well because it isn't.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2021, 09:44:40 AM
Pre Brexit between 95% and 98% of fish/shellfish  caught by Cornish fishermen was exported to the EU, that trade in many cases had effectively ceased. So frankly I wish you keyboard warriors who know precisely zero about the subject would shut up.
Where I live Brexit has been a disaster. (The bivalve mollusc industry have been close to finished.
There is next to no UK market for the product.)
Having just got back from Brittany the ban on imports of bivalve molluscs from Britain is having some obvious effects. There are shortages in Brittany because of it, exacerbated by outbreak of Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) is an illness caused by consumption of the marine biotoxin called domoic acid. In mammals, including humans, domoic acid acts as a neurotoxin, causing permanent short-term memory loss, brain damage, and death in severe cases.
The areas in Breton waters where ASP has been found are now subject to a fishing ban that could in place for months.
Then PERHAPS the Sea fishing Instustry Body needs to go back to doing what it did in the sixties, promoting the sale of fish to the British Public at fishmongers, fish and chip shops that also sold the raw material to custmers wanting to cook it themselves, markets, and mobile fishmongers. If my grandmother can argue the toss over a piece of halibut with the bloke bringing the van down her street,. so can you .....

Oh wait. Look, they are

https://www.seafish.org/trade-and-regulation/covid-19-support-for-the-seafood-industry/selling-seafood-directly-to-consumers/

By the way, what's stopping the British public eating bivalve molluscs ?

And if the europeans are facing an acute shortage because their own stocks are poisoned and they wonlt import ours, ten let them eat cake instead. Or tell Macron where to shove his ban
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Pre Brexit between 95% and 98% of fish/shellfish  caught by Cornish fishermen was exported to the EU, that trade in many cases had effectively ceased. So frankly I wish you keyboard warriors who know precisely zero about the subject would shut up.
Where I live Brexit has been a disaster. (The bivalve mollusc industry have been close to finished.
Having just got back from Brittany the ban on imports of bivalve molluscs from Britain is having some obvious effects. There are shortages in Brittany because of it, exacerbated by outbreak of Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) is an illness caused by consumption of the marine biotoxin called domoic acid. In mammals, including humans, domoic acid acts as a neurotoxin, causing permanent short-term memory loss, brain damage, and death in severe cases.
The areas in Breton waters where ASP has been found are now subject to a fishing ban that could in place for months.

Think you better inform Tesco in Southport that the Cornish fishing industry is on the rocks cause they don't seem to know. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

What's that got to do with people are now (quite rightly) looking to selling fish in their home market....the UK?

papasmurf

Having just got back from Brittany the ban on imports of bivalve molluscs from Britain is having some obvious effects. There are shortages in Brittany because of it, exacerbated by outbreak of Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) is an illness caused by consumption of the marine biotoxin called domoic acid. In mammals, including humans, domoic acid acts as a neurotoxin, causing permanent short-term memory loss, brain damage, and death in severe cases.

cromwell

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 31, 2021, 07:06:08 PM
Well as our resident blue person who hates all things brexit has told us how fishing in Cornwall is finished,just been watching those awful people on the BBC countryfile prog and how yes indeed exporting to the eu has become difficult (who would've thought it with that nice Mr Macron in France Puke )

Anyway they're  aiming to sell to us the Brits how novel and good,fresh fish to your door in 24 hours instead of buying from abroad,sustainable save the planet and all that win win all round.

Going to give it a try,the pesky fish co (there are others based around Britain)
Can't be true surely!! The azure dwarf assures us there is no fish to be had. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Well as our resident blue person who hates all things brexit has told us how fishing in Cornwall is finished,just been watching those awful people on the BBC countryfile prog and how yes indeed exporting to the eu has become difficult (who would've thought it with that nice Mr Macron in France Puke )

Anyway they're  aiming to sell to us the Brits how novel and good,fresh fish to your door in 24 hours instead of buying from abroad,sustainable save the planet and all that win win all round.

Going to give it a try,the pesky fish co (there are others based around Britain)