Main Menu

Cornish fishermen.

Started by cromwell, October 31, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2021, 08:55:29 PM
I love sea food generally, 
So do I, but despite  living in a fishing area there is not one fishmongers anything like those in France.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2021, 08:55:29 PM
I love sea food generally, and my favourite tends to be smoked haddock or smoked cod.

I have seen a number of shortages of many things in Tesco of late, but the smoked haddock and smoked cod still seems to be readily available. And though expensive to start with, it does not appear to be one of those things whose price has increased at all. This tends to suggest no increased shortage of these yet at least.
Im a big fish eater myself and love a bit of smoked fish .  Made the mistake (left the goggles at home ) of picking up some yellow mud fish from Thailand a while back . God it was shite not even the local cats would eat it . 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2021, 07:11:41 PM
Can't be true surely!! The azure dwarf assures us there is no fish to be had.
I love sea food generally, and my favourite tends to be smoked haddock or smoked cod. 

I have seen a number of shortages of many things in Tesco of late, but the smoked haddock and smoked cod still seems to be readily available. And though expensive to start with, it does not appear to be one of those things whose price has increased at all. This tends to suggest no increased shortage of these yet at least.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on November 03, 2021, 09:57:17 AM
It was made in China for cheap labour and lax employment laws. Is that what you want for the UK, I think that's what Johnson wants.

There's so much wrong with that article, no point in even commenting on it.
You keep talking about not been able to change the brexit result. Your the only one doing that. You make up a comment, that I never make and then you argue with yourself. It's amusing, but it won't stop me commenting on reality, I'm sure you have heard the affects of Brexit is not expected to be twice as bad as the affects of Covid. At least Covid is going away, but Brexit is not just for Christmas.
The minutiae of the article and example of china within it isnt the point as you well know.

The point clearly is you are misrepresenting yet again an old argument from 2016 , where brexiters were talking about accessing the single market but not remaining members of it as the uk once was . I clearly remember people like you not only acknowledging that point at the time , but telling brexiters they couldnt cherry pick access to the single market .

So what are you talking about?

As for your lies regarding myself , i have never said you couldnt change brexit. I said you couldnt roll back the 2016 result , you lost fair and square , and the result had to be implemented.,

Now that has happened , i even urged you to vote labour get them elected and take the uk back into the EU , and you came out with a load of puerile nonsensical excuses as to why that wouldnt happen , when you clearly hope it does as you spend so much of your time on here re raking over the coals of a long dead argument from 5 years ago.

As for covid , stop talking shite.

Covid hasnt and wont go away , dont you listen to what is being said? We are learning to live with it , just as you will have to learn to live with brexit.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 03, 2021, 11:16:51 PM
So you're defending the eu fisheries policy and unlike some other posts condemning creative accounting.  :P
Not at all, I'm just pointing out that it's their own fault.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on November 03, 2021, 11:09:23 PM
Everything.

The Irish fishermen were lying to the tax man as I said, so when the quota system came in they were asked what their historical catches were. They couldn't suddenly add 25% on to show their real catch otherwise the tax man would have had them, so they were given the quota based on what their paperwork said. Perhaps the French and Spanish hadn't been evading tax so got a quota that reflected what their catch was in reality. They might feel aggrieved but it's of their own making.
So you're defending the eu fisheries policy and unlike some other posts condemning creative accounting.  :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 03, 2021, 10:52:29 PM
What has any of that got to do with Irish fishermen feeling aggrieved that they can take less from their waters than the French,Spaniards and others?
Everything.

The Irish fishermen were lying to the tax man as I said, so when the quota system came in they were asked what their historical catches were. They couldn't suddenly add 25% on to show their real catch otherwise the tax man would have had them, so they were given the quota based on what their paperwork said. Perhaps the French and Spanish hadn't been evading tax so got a quota that reflected what their catch was in reality. They might feel aggrieved but it's of their own making.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on November 03, 2021, 10:38:30 PM
Fishermen have been the architect of their own downfall, they have lied about the size of their catches for decades. And they now can't come clean cause the tax man will hit them hard.
What has any of that got to do with Irish fishermen feeling aggrieved that they can take less from their waters than the French,Spaniards and others?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 03, 2021, 03:41:37 PM
And as you know there's a lot of Irish fishermen feel robbed by the eu. :P
Fishermen have been the architect of their own downfall, they have lied about the size of their catches for decades. And they now can't come clean cause the tax man will hit them hard. 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 03, 2021, 03:39:42 PM
The DHS has not existed for decades.

Oh Christ, do your mean Gerry will have to get a job?
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 03, 2021, 08:35:54 AM
You can say that's why you voted to leave, not everyone would agree, some fishermen wouldn't agree now
And as you know there's a lot of Irish fishermen feel robbed by the eu. :P

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 03, 2021, 03:22:45 PM
Well we have got you, and you will be leaving school in a couple of years. So if the DHS send you off to help with the fruit and veg picking well, there you are :)
The DHS has not existed for decades.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on November 03, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
But you have put up barriers restricting workers coming to the UK, temporary visas, all sorts of conditions. You need to come up with a plan b to attract anyone

Well we have got you, and you will be leaving school in a couple of years. So if the DHS send you off to help with the fruit and veg picking well, there you are :)
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 03, 2021, 10:57:46 AM
Given your allegiances to the Island of Ireland who cut corporation tax to 10% so as to attract everyone screwed by Gordon Brown and then whinged like buggery when their housing prices skyrocketed as a result of the influx, you seem to have little right to castigate those who manipulate their economy to attract workers.
But you have put up barriers restricting workers coming to the UK, temporary visas, all sorts of conditions. You need to come up with a plan b to attract anyone

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 03, 2021, 12:07:16 PM
Where does that cost you £35 ??
Only £35, (€37.50) at a restaurant in Brittany.  (It would only be €25 from a Vivier (fish merchant,) near our mobile home, cooked where necessary and neatly presented as a take-away. Ideal for picnics.)