Main Menu

Cornish fishermen.

Started by cromwell, October 31, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
 35€ gets an exceptional selection...
I can get a fruits de mer, (not with lobster.) For €37.50 for one in a restaurant in Brittany. (Chez Janie, Roscoff.)

[color=var( --e-global-color-primary )]Seafood Platters[/font][/size][/color]
[color=var( --e-global-color-primary )]Janie's platter / 1 person[/font][/size][/color]

• 6 Cupped oyster N°3 LEGRIS
  • 1/2 Crab (crab or spiny crab depending on the fish market)**
  • 200g Scampi
  • 6 Pink shrimps
  • Periwinckles
  • Whelks

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 11, 2021, 05:35:25 PM
Don't do what?
Fruits de mer. (It could  not be done by post or courier anyway. It is a mixture of cooked and raw ingredients.)

patman post

I'm with papasmurf on this one. Bistros and Restaurant offering plats de fruit de mer are plentiful in Paris and in Brittany and Normandy with prices starting around £25. In London, £60 upward is usual in the few establishments that offer it. Even West Country sea food restaurants hardly compare with those in Normandy. As for getting plats de fruit de mer delivered to London from the coast — forget it. In Versailles or St Germain en laye, call in at the poissonier, order, and either wait or call back and collect. 35€ gets an exceptional selection...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 05:29:02 PM
They don't do it.  I also suggest you read their website VERY carefully.
Don't do what?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2021, 05:20:55 PM
Marisco Fish Ltd Cornwalls Finest Seafood – Marisco Fish Ltd Cornwalls finest seafoods

Fill yer boots .  £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
They don't do it.  I also suggest you read their website VERY carefully. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 04:58:32 PM
Really?  Care to specify where please by walking into a fishmonger?
I can't get this anywhere locally even in a restaurant, and as a takeaway cooked to order for €25 no chance.

Marisco Fish Ltd Cornwalls Finest Seafood – Marisco Fish Ltd Cornwalls finest seafoods

Fill yer boots .   £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2021, 04:40:29 PM
No its not . The point is that there IS an availability of the fruits der Mer in the UK . We can have whatever we like basically when we like. 
Really?  Care to specify where please by walking into a fishmonger? 
I can't get this anywhere locally even in a restaurant, and as a takeaway cooked to order for €25 no chance.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 10:16:21 AM
Not on display as I describe is the point. 
No its not . The point is that there IS an availability of the fruits der Mer in the UK . We can have whatever we like basically when we like. We have wholesalers across the land , Cornish fishermen sending box upon box of the stuff to the four corners of the Kingdoms , Fish vans parked on every high street once or twice a week and Kippers for breakfast .

Plenty of Mussels and Oysters on the menu in local Bistros so things are looking good for the industry in the UK 

Oh and , Feck the French 

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 11, 2021, 10:56:13 AM
I'd rather have fish already filleted so I don't have to do it myself.

As for fishmongers, much like most local butchers, a few decades back plymouth had several local ones. 
Luckily the village has an excellent butchers, as does the nearest town, (it used to have four only a few years ago.)

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 08:36:46 AMA proper fishmonger, displaying whole fish
I'd rather have fish already filleted so I don't have to do it myself.

As for fishmongers, much like most local butchers, a few decades back plymouth had several local ones. But they have all pretty much shut up shop because they could not compete with the supermarkets. Blame these for the shortage of fishmongers, not lack of fish.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2021, 10:00:39 AM
Yes I can get all that down the road . Its a wholesaler that supplies London Hotels ect and has a public counter thurs -sat .  Maybe not on display as you describe  but available  all the same if you know where to go .
Not on display as I describe is the point. Where I go in Brittany, there are three as I described one 400 metres away from our mobile home, one 3 kilometres away, and another 10 kilometres away, (that does not count the fish counter in the town supermarket.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 08:36:46 AM
A proper fishmonger, displaying whole fish, (apart from being gutted,) tanks full of live lobster and crabs. Live mussels, and other bivalve molluscs.)
Yes I can get all that down the road . Its a wholesaler that supplies London Hotels ect and has a public counter thurs -sat .  Maybe not on display as you describe  but available  all the same if you know where to go . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2021, 08:30:17 AM
Depends on what you want I suppose . 
A proper fishmonger, displaying whole fish, (apart from being gutted,) tanks full of live lobster and crabs. Live mussels, and other bivalve molluscs.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2021, 08:15:55 AM
So do I, but despite  living in a fishing area there is not one fishmongers anything like those in France.
Depends on what you want I suppose . Never had a problem sourcing a variety of fresh fish and shellfish and I don't live in a fishing area ,not unless your including Crystal Palace pond  that is .