Boris caves in to the EU - is Carrie behind this?

Started by HallowedBrexit, November 01, 2021, 06:17:38 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 11:26:19 AM
That is the propaganda, the reality it tourism is of little to no benefit to the majority of people who live here.
In fact the clean up operation after mess and damage the tourists have done this year is costing local residents money.
The seasonal low paid jobs are useless to people who live here and any profit mainly goes back out of the county.
You really do talk some guff. 1 in 3 jobs in Cornwall are dependent either directly or indirectly on tourism. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-challenge-growing-economy-beyond-5751524
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 08, 2021, 03:07:25 PM
No, it is a direct result of Charlie lugnuts and his refusal to allow housing development. Send in Barratt and the place will be filled with tiny shoe boxes that will at a stroke destroy the tourist industry and return the property values to sensible levels by returning to low value slums ...
Only council housing for locally born people only  will address the issue.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 10:06:33 AM
The lack of cheap rental housing is a direct result of tourism, AirBandB, second homes and holiday lets.(There has been a lot of complaints about it and comment in parliament.)
Plus a nearly 50000 signature petition about it.
Basically this year has been hell for those who live here and I am just one of many complaining about it.

No, it is a direct result of Charlie lugnuts and his refusal to allow housing development. Send in Barratt and the place will be filled with tiny shoe boxes that will at a stroke destroy the tourist industry and return the property values to sensible levels by returning to low value slums ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 10:06:33 AM
The lack of cheap rental housing is a direct result of tourism, AirBandB, second homes and holiday lets.(There has been a lot of complaints about it and comment in parliament.)
Basically this year has been hell for those who live here and I am just one of many complaining about it.
Sounds like a call for the formation of a Kernow version of Meibion Glyndwr to get some holiday cottage burning underway...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 02:20:45 PM
If you cannot make  sensible comment I suggest you don't bother. My bungalow is far too small for a young family. I don't have any neighbours with children. Because the bungalows are not suitable as well as being far to expensive when one does come on the market. What is badly needed locally is council housing.

Your bungalow is too expense because you talk big but refuse to help the needy if it costs you your unearned capital gains.
you are a sad creature Pappy.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 08, 2021, 12:54:56 PM
To be honesr Pappy, it sounds a bit selfish. Your place would provide a bed room for the parents and one for the kiddie. You will have increased the housing stock by at least 50%. Time for you to move on and give the youngsters a chance.
If you cannot make  sensible comment I suggest you don't bother. My bungalow is far too small for a young family. I don't have any neighbours with children. Because the bungalows are not suitable as well as being far to expensive when one does come on the market. What is badly needed locally is council housing.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 10:22:55 AM
I have lived here since 1984. My two bedroom bungalow would be of no use at all to a young local family.

To be honesr Pappy, it sounds a bit selfish. Your place would provide a bed room for the parents and one for the kiddie. You will have increased the housing stock by at least 50%. Time for you to move on and give the youngsters a chance.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2021, 09:59:40 AM
 The lack of housing is mostly the result of outsiders like yourself flocking in to the area to live 
I have lived here since 1984. My two bedroom bungalow would be of no use at all to a young local family. My of my neighbours are retired Cornish people. The people from upcountry "flocking here" is recent. 
(I was also asked to be lifeboat helper (shore crew,) for the local lifeboat, which I was happy to so for several years until local young people became available.)
My wife volunteers to to the cooking for the village football club for home matches.
The far more tourists than can be coped with is a very serious issue. It reached breaking point this year and even Malcolm Bell (Visit Cornwall) has had at long last had to admit that.

Visit Cornwall boss doesn't want county to be 'destroyed by tourism' - Cornwall Live

Visit Cornwall boss doesn't want county to be 'destroyed by tourism'

Malcolm Bell has spoken up as the county hosts an influx of tourists due to Covid travel restrictions - putting immense pressure on services

He explained that due to high volumes of visitors in the county at the moment, some people "aren't getting a good experience", the locals are frustrated, and the systems can't cope.

Mr Bell also stressed that should numbers persist going forward, the quality of experience for tourists will plummet, taking the price with it - what's known as 'over-tourism'.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2021, 09:59:40 AM

I see plenty of open countryside down there and plenty of room. Yes there is a chronic shortage of housing and good jobs for the locals but this is not really the fault of tourists, 

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 06:51:48 AM
No assumptions involved. It has been widely reported and commented about including in the House of Commons.
And yet, I live not very far away and frequently drive into Cornwall. I myself work in Callington, one of my best friends lives in Lostwithiel and works in St Austell, and another has a holiday home in Little Petherick not far from Padstow. Some of my favourite beaches that I love to visit include Trevone and Treyarnon on the north coast between Padstow and Newquay.

I see plenty of open countryside down there and plenty of room. Yes there is a chronic shortage of housing and good jobs for the locals but this is not really the fault of tourists, without whom the local economy would be even more dire. The lack of housing is mostly the result of outsiders like yourself flocking in to the area to live and pushing up house prices beyond the range of locals, whilst too little is being done to provide good social housing in the required numbers where they are needed. That is a government generated problem, both local government and national. And both main parties did bugger all about it when they had the chance.

As for good local jobs, Cornwall is somewhat out on a lib geographically with poor local infrastructure and transport links, and far away from the major pools of labour in the big cities. It is not an area which many businesses will invest in or set up shop in unless taking advantages of favourable circumstances intrinsic to the local area. Hence tourism. Better transport links is an issue for governments to address but nothing can be done about Cornwall's geographic location.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on November 08, 2021, 08:34:49 AM
so whats the difference between stopping summer tourists coming to cornwall , because you claim there is a lack of facilities , housing and infrastructure , while demanding the tories flood cornwall with immigrants to pick crops and drive taxis and do a bit of waitering?

There is no flood of immigrants needed merely more allowed in under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme, they do not remain resident, and neither so seasonal tourism and hospitality workers.
Driving taxis is not an issue in Cornwall most of the taxs drivers are ex-navy topping up their pension. There is  shortage but that is due to many factors like not working in late evenings and nights due to abusive drunk passengers, and long delays in background checks.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on November 08, 2021, 06:51:48 AM
No assumptions involved. It has been widely reported and commented about including in the House of Commons.
so whats the difference between stopping summer tourists coming to cornwall , because you claim there is a lack of facilities , housing and infrastructure , while demanding the tories flood cornwall with immigrants to pick crops and drive taxis and do a bit of waitering?

Dont you see how ridiculous your arguments sound , and how you come across constantly as merely using anything and every opportunity to attack the tories even if it makes you look hypocrtical in the process.?

If you dont put forth a coherent argument that is consistent , then no one will take your opportunistic comments about "tory bad " seriously.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 07, 2021, 10:44:45 PM
And why do you assume that your own immediate vicinity is replicated the length and breadth of Cornwall? 
No assumptions involved. It has been widely reported and commented about including in the House of Commons. 

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 07, 2021, 08:18:05 AM
So what, there is only one road into the village and facilities, and utilities are limited 6000 a day can be managed (just,) 23000 cannot.
Just what do you not understand about that?
And why do you assume that your own immediate vicinity is replicated the length and breadth of Cornwall?  I note that however restricted the access, you still managed to buy a house there, having profited from the bung provided by the Tories for your purchase of a council house, no doubt sold at great personal profit. So you finance your comfortable retirement to Cornwall by such means then rail against others coming in, even temporarily? Methinks you are a hypocrite of the first order.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 07, 2021, 08:11:29 AM
Are you not aware in spite of living there that Cornwall is one of the least densely populated counties in England?
So what, there is only one road into the village and facilities, and utilities are limited 6000 a day can be managed (just,) 23000 cannot.
Just what do you not understand about that?